mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Is Strava Appropriate on Shared-Use Trails?

New England Mountain Bike Association has published the following statement concerning the use of Strava and riding trails:

Strava is used by many cyclists and runners as a technology that records and publicizes individual’s training routes and riding metrics. However, Strava “King of the Mountain” segments promote an individual “race” mentality on those segments that is inappropriate within the context of a shared-use trail system. Riders using Strava as a training tool need to fully realize that they should yield to all other trail users, control their bicycle, ride only on trails open to bicycling, and practice environmentally responsible riding. Lastly, Strava users should report inappropriate segments to Strava so that they can be removed.

Together we need to change the culture of Strava on the trails. While competition is an enjoyable aspect of many forms of outdoor recreation (cycling, running, skiing, snowshoeing, etc), mountain bike racing should be done within a controlled environment, and is not appropriate in many venues, including on shared-use, public trail systems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sure... as long of the rider(s) exercises appropiate right-of-way. There also also non-Strava users whom do not excersie appropiate right-of-way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    There also also non-Strava users whom do not excercise appropriate right-of-way.
    Everyone should be as a courteous as possible but, of course there always A-Holes.

Actually, there is an underlying issue that this can lead to, namely trail poaching, riding illegal trails or closed trails.

If you are going to post your rides on illegal trails, the land manager could possibly track you down and slap you with a penalty.

Rider beware!

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Segments are out of hand. You come home from a ride and it'll be door to door segments, but even before the advent of Strava some people have always been doüche bags. Don't be a doüche.

ZEN RIDER!
    My biggest gripe with the xc racer type is cutting corners or difficult areas to decrease time.
    I spend too much time blocking go arounds and trail cuts trying to maintain trail from looking like Case Mt.
    As far as Strava goes or any bike page for that matter that lists trails I have issue with. I've had 2 trails that I kept hidden for years make it to a trail sharing site and within a year it went from nice single track to having go arounds for every little feature. Tens of hours of work down the crapper because some one felt the need to post up on a web page with a topo map after riding on a group ride. Never asked is if was ok, just did it.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

The DCR here in Ma.

Has discovered Strava. No more secret trails. We are just starting to deal with the consequences.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    My biggest gripe with the xc racer type is cutting corners or difficult areas to decrease time.
    I spend too much time blocking go arounds and trail cuts trying to maintain trail from looking like Case Mt.
    As far as Strava goes or any bike page for that matter that lists trails I have issue with. I've had 2 trails that I kept hidden for years make it to a trail sharing site and within a year it went from nice single track to having go arounds for every little feature. Tens of hours of work down the crapper because some one felt the need to post up on a web page with a topo map after riding on a group ride. Never asked is if was ok, just did it.
    I hear you about ride arounds, and build ups over every log or rock, but are these trails on your own property or did you build them on public land? It bums me out when one of my hidden gems is more widely discovered, but seeing as it really isn't mine, I just have to suck it up, and block the braids.
    Sites like this one and Crankfire have been sharing trail information for years before Strava. Strava just makes it easier.

Loser
    Repeating something I said on FB - but CB said it better than I did. Strava is one of many GPS apps and probably NOT the one that made a private stash public. Its not a great (or even good) way to share rides, GPS apps like Mapmyride or Everytrail are much better and are purpose built to share rides. That said if someone marks a segment in Strava, then yes that could lead to more traffic.

CB makes a good point about private stashes that I hadn't really expressed - if you're building on public land you can't really control who rides what. I know of a new trail at a popular riding spot, it became "famous" not through GPS tracks but by people posting about it ("great new trail at X"), which increased demand, then in a few months it seemed that every riding group had found it. I participate in a lot of different riding groups so I saw the knowledge spread from group to group.

The fact that DCR in Mass is using Strava to find illegal trails is troubling, that alone is reason not to use it, or at least setting your tracks private. I'm off to do that right now. I like tracking my rides with Strava and I do like competing (sanely) on segments, I guess I'll watch that more closely.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    OK I'll have to get into this argument because I believe the "XC racer types" are being unfairly blamed for the trail braids, cheater lines and corner cuts. It think it's based on the erroneous assumption that xc racers are doing intervals and fast tempo rides in the woods, and I don't think that's accurate. The xc racers I know do their fitness training on road bikes and ride mountain bikes to train their technical skills, not fitness. They'll be seeking out challenging obstacles, not seeking to avoid them by going around them. I believe the braids, cheat lines, etc are being, and have always been created by inexperienced riders who lack the nerve or skill to negotiate the obstacles. Also slow riders off the back of group rides might be encouraged to do it in an efort to keep up with the group.

That being said, whether or not Strava encourages riders to go around obstacles and cut the trails (ostensibly to shorten their time) has yet to be determined. I do think some changes are needed in how Strava is used and promoted and I think those changes need to come from Strava itself.

Being a mountain biker for 23 years I can tell you braids, cheat lines, etc have been a problem since long before Strava came along.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!