Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Strava?

Loser

Strava?

Anyone use Strava on the CT trails? I just started last week, already addicted. I have a 2 at Case, looking for a KOM... only 3 seconds difference.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

banned
    Nov 2011
    What the heck is Strava? I keep hearing it all over the forums lately.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    What the heck is Strava? I keep hearing it all over the forums lately.
    My thoughts exactly! Im all over here... time to google lol
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

Loser
    Strava is a smart phone app. Anyone can set "segments" on line, say a particular climb or descent. Then everyone who records rides via the app competes for bragging rights for riding that section the fastest. To anyone who is competitive (like me) it's like handing a needle to a junkie.

mtbr member
    I have it and like it a lot, but I use it to primarily track rides and mileage. It can become competative though!

Loser
    Oh yeah, and it keeps track of your rides, mileage to date etc. That is cool too. I was psyched to hit some segments yesterday at Hale, but the app failed to record anything. Disappointing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I use it at Hale a bit. Haven't found any segments there yet.

Tomorrow I'm going to hit up Crandall's, maybe there's something there.

Loser
    I created one segment at Crandalls - the TVA climb, which is the switchback trail up the front side.

Loser
    I created three segments at Hale - the North Side loop, Punisher and Wiggle.

I was with a group last night which pushed me hard when I was riding, but there was a few stops to wait for people to catch up - I can probably do the North Side faster than posted, Punisher would be hard to ride that fast without stopping (and I probably wouldn't ride that fast by myself). My time on Wiggle would be hard for me to beat.

I'm still not 100% sure how Strava does the whole KOM thing. I am KOM on a couple of segments that I created. As soon as you create a segment it goes back and grabs times from others who have ridden that segment and stack ranks them - but I don't get that KOM thing on my profile for those segments I created. I'm just curious how it works.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I have a few issues with Strava...

1. it quits if you loose cell reception (or used to , been a few updates since)
    2. I find Everytrail much more accurate if you play with the settings.. you can adj the sensitively in Everytrail, not so in Strava
    3. Don't like the friggin monthly payment crap.. I don't mind paying for an app, but not paying 10 bucks a month to get the features I want.. I'll pay the $5 bucks upfront and be done

if you're a racer type the whole compare thing is OK.. but you can do that with any of them, just load someone's track and take a look..
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

banned
    Nov 2011
    I'm probably the most competitive cyclist you'll ever meet. However I really see no use in this Starva app.

I already have my bike computer to track down my miles and average speed. And as for getting competitive I find the real competition on the trails. Every other cyclist is my opponent on the trails.

You should see me every time someone tries to catch up to me on a climb. I turn into Tinker Juarez and drop them.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Addict View Post
    I'm probably the most competitive cyclist you'll ever meet. However I really see no use in this Starva app.

I already have my bike computer to track down my miles and average speed. And as for getting competitive I find the real competition on the trails. Every other cyclist is my opponent on the trails.

You should see me every time someone tries to catch up to me on a climb. I turn into Tinker Juarez and drop them.
    well the point of Strava is that you can "compete" with people at diff times.. you and who ever keep posting times and you keep trying to beat each other... without having a formal race. They are being Sued for it though as someone died while "competing" on a road..

thing is the phones and such aren't really accurate enough ...
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

Loser
    I'm sure its not very accurate - and TL I agree Everytrail is better, but the segment competition thing is what draws me to the app. I didn't realize you had to pay a monthly fee to see the "pro" stuff. I was considering upgrading, I won't if I have to pay per month.

I got KOM on a segment today on purpose for the first time - I tried hard to go as fast as I could knowing I was riding a segment. Of course I know a dozen riders who could take that from me in a heartbeat, but they don't have Strava (shhhhh).

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    ............Of course I know a dozen riders who could take that from me in a heartbeat, but they don't have Strava (shhhhh).
    LOLOLOLOLn

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I's actually trying a new one(well to me, actually I think it's one of the oldest for the Iphone..?) anyway.. it's
    Kinetic (lite) and man do I love the interface.. really well laid out and design with ton's of info available but do so it's not all cluttered. Haven't tried it out and about yet.. and I don't see a "download maps" so I'm guessing it's another that will screw up if you loose cell reception.. but I'll give it a try..

Everytrail, GPS kit, Runtastic's Mt Bike computer and MotionX are about the best so far for me.. My biggest issue is the thing quitting when you loose cell reception (which happens a lot at Hartman and Bluff Point in the valley's) the ones that let you pre-download the maps not only don't quit.. but you can turn the network off and save a boat load of batt!!!

Loser
    Ah something I just read - I incorrectly assumed that Strava counted "wait" time as part of your time to complete a segment, according to what I just read it does not. So if you ride hard, take a break, then continue on, the time not moving gets subtracted from your total.

Hmm, not sure on this yet... still investigating.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Ah something I just read - I incorrectly assumed that Strava counted "wait" time as part of your time to complete a segment, according to what I just read it does not. So if you ride hard, take a break, then continue on, the time not moving gets subtracted from your total.

Hmm, not sure on this yet... still investigating.
    you can turn it on or off... Almost all the GPS Apps have a "delete Still" somewhere in the settings..

Big wheels small brain
    I've been using runtatic Mountainbike Pro for a few months. I like it a lot, but am going to give Strava a try.

Hey TL, do you have a run saved from Rocky Neck? I would like to see your route. I have a nice 7mile loop mapped out, and would like to put together something over 10miles w/o much overlap.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post
    I've been using runtatic Mountainbike Pro for a few months. I like it a lot, but am going to give Strava a try.

Hey TL, do you have a run saved from Rocky Neck? I would like to see your route. I have a nice 7mile loop mapped out, and would like to put together something over 10miles w/o much overlap.
    ya,.. don't think you are going to get a full 10 miles there without over lap.. I have done 10 miles but that included riding the camp ground loops..

Go to Everytrail.com and just look up Thomllama.. think all my routes will show..
    can also see most of them on Crankfire.com's map.. though I haven't uploaded there in some time.

Loser

yeah but...

Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    you can turn it on or off... Almost all the GPS Apps have a "delete Still" somewhere in the settings..
    I guess the question I have is does it eliminate the "still" sections in the segments? I'll do some investigation and figure it out.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I guess the question I have is does it eliminate the "still" sections in the segments? I'll do some investigation and figure it out.
    ya.. I believe it does.. just looked through the directions/info and no way I can find to turn it off either.. another mark against Strava It's SOO popular and I really don't get it other than the "race" thing and that you can really do with any of them..

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Biketracks

I've been using Biketracks on my iPhone. It works well, but I cant get the info off the iPhone onto my PC. I know it can be done but I cant figure out how to do it.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    ya.. I believe it does.. just looked through the directions/info and no way I can find to turn it off either.. another mark against Strava It's SOO popular and I really don't get it other than the "race" thing and that you can really do with any of them..
    Its definitely the race thing - I see others are coming out with the same idea - the thing is you need critical mass for the racing part to work - I think the first one in is going to "win" - much like Google Circles vs Facebook - too many people on Facebook now for Circles to take over.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by MattC555 View Post

hey Matt,.. started a new thread instead of highjacking Jisch's

http://forums.mtbr.com/connecticut-r...ml#post9473552

Loser
    hijack or no, at least the CT/RI board has some use!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast