mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Rough Tumble This Weekend (I found out that I am not 22 years of age anymore)

I recently just got back into MTB after about a ten year hiatus. Long story short I have been on a few rides since then. I had a good ride planned for this weekend riding Metacomet from Spoonville to Suffield. The ride started out good and for the most part stated that way. On our way back from Suffield we were somewhere close to Rt20 and I was having a good time, in the zone, ya know. I was jumping offer fallen logs and rocks and what not but I got a little over zealous with the last log which was a bit larger than the rest. I had good speed and I thought I had enough air to clear but I think I hit the log with my rear tire sending the ass end of the bike up higher. My front came down and the ass end kept going. I ended up doing a forward summersalt and got beat up pretty good, ended up taking the pavement all the way back to the car but sitting here now I am surprised I even made it. I got banged up pretty good, worse tumble I have ever had on a MTB. Shoulder is bruised up, neck, arm has rash on it, lower back is tweaked, knees arn't too bad, ribs feel bruised on both sides.

That being said, I had a great ride, crash and all but what do you guys do to heal up faster after an incident like this. I have found that I am not 22 years old, and going on 39 I don't bounce back as fast. I spend the weekend icing majority of the things that hurt and planning on going to chiropractor today, Metallica concert Wednesday, maybe some massage in there somewhere and then back to business by next weekend.

Any thoughts on what I could do or eat to speed up this process?
    conlysm

<insert generic signature comment here>

13' Intense Tracer 275

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I eat ibuprofen after crashes like that.

Delirious Tuck
    RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Advil helps too. If you're not injured, get out for a run or ride to loosen things up a bit quicker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Ugh.... I just turned 40 and with that has come a chance to clear a bucket-list item - Mountain Biking the Colorado Trail. But like you I have been away from serious mountain biking for a good 10 years and probably 7 years since I've done anything remotely consistent.

As I prepare this for the trip this year I'll have to keep an eye on posts like this!

I don't *fear* crashing, but I do fear not being able to rebound.... Good luck to you!

-CF

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    RICE - Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation. Advil helps too. If you're not injured, get out for a run or ride to loosen things up a bit quicker.
    Exactly.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

abc
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Jeez, 3 month old thread!

mtbr member
    Wait til yer 60+.

It's all relative. You slow down (maybe), don't recover so quick (definitely), and gain some perspective on the joy of still moving at all (hopefully).
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.