mtbr member

Question about weather

I'm posting this here because the info is location specific. What is everyone's rule of thumb for weather and the potential for weather? Chance of rain; do you go anyhow? Possible storms; do you go? IE: today in the Hartford area there is a 20-40% chance of storms (so they say) do you go out?

Obviously no one is going out in thunder and lightning, but lets be honest....a little rain never hurt.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    if the trails are muddy stay off.. other than that.. have a ball!!!
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll ride as long as the trails aren't soft and muddy. Sometimes a little rain is enjoyable on a hot mid-day ride.

mtbr member
    Okay cool. Maybe Ill give it a go tonight

Loser
    I will rarely if any ride if its raining at the start of the ride, but if there's a chance of rain I'll ride in the summer time.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Some places hold up better than others and some recover very quickly. There are some places that you can't even tell that they've been ridden when it's really wet. I tend to stick to hillside spots if it's wet rather than bottom lands as they drain better. If I need to cross really muddy spots I am pretty likely to carry the bike rather than create deep straight ruts that will channel the water.

Like you said, it really is location specific. I think that the most mature networks are the best rather than new stuff.

mtbr member
    I never ride if the trails are muddy or if rained the night before. As far as thunderstorms or chance of rain, I usually ride especially if it's below 60%

mtbr member
    Excellent info. Thanks all!

Delirious Tuck
    If you do decide to ride wet and muddy trails, roll the center of the mud puddle please. Easier to fix a tight tread line than wide open.

My rule of thumb is that if its a long ride back to the car and thunderstorms are forecast, gym it. Otherwise a little light afternoon summer shower is nice to ride in.