Lurker
    Aug 2005

out of towner looking for ride advice

Hi,

I'm looking for some help locating places to ride nearby.

I'm working in Little Compton, Rhode Island for a few weeks. I brought my mtn bike, looks like tomorrow (Sunday) will be the only day I have to ride this week (so would prefer to stay reasonably close) but next weekend I'll likely have 2 days & can travel a bit farther. I'm from western NC (mtns near Asheville), I ride a Stumpy hardtail, I like a variety of trail from fast & flowy to burly technical but I'm not much into big airtime DH stuff.

What are the signature mtb trails around here?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    ---Valerie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by valerie View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking for some help locating places to ride nearby.

I'm working in Little Compton, Rhode Island for a few weeks. I brought my mtn bike, looks like tomorrow (Sunday) will be the only day I have to ride this week (so would prefer to stay reasonably close) but next weekend I'll likely have 2 days & can travel a bit farther. I'm from western NC (mtns near Asheville), I ride a Stumpy hardtail, I like a variety of trail from fast & flowy to burly technical but I'm not much into big airtime DH stuff.

What are the signature mtb trails around here?

Thanks in advance for any advice,
    ---Valerie.
    The CT forum doesn't seem to get much action here on MTBR. I would post over in the forum on BikeRag.com or Nemba.com.

If you can find some time to travel, check out Millers Pond in Durhan CT.

MC MasterShake
    Not from RI myself so I can't comment on anything super local to you. But if your willing to travel a little ways into MA Otis AFB would be right up your alley and probably the best riding in the area. It's not very well marked and there's lots of intersections but you should be able to muddle a solid ride by just wandering.

mtbr member
    Valerie,

Definitely check out the Arcadia fun ride that's taking place tomorrow (Sunday) at Arcadia Management Area in Exeter, RI. Probably about 45 min from Little Compton. You'll experience some of the best riding our state has to offer. I believe registration is at 9:00. There is a thread on it in this forum or check out rinemba.org.

RI NEMBA Arcadia Fun Ride May 20th!

Lurker
    Aug 2005
    Thanks to all who responded!

I didn't get moving early enough Sunday morning to make the Arcadia fun ride, so I took Woodyak's advice & checked out Otis, which was about 1.5 hours away. Nice narrow singletrack, roll-y, different from what I'm used to, fun! Reminded me of some trails in FL. Seemed like most of the trails were created by dirtbikes...? Found a map online, no access to a printer but I downloaded it to my Droidphone but it was still quite a challenge to navigate - all part of the fun, though!

Thanks again,
    ---Valerie.

Just a flesh wound

I was too late

There is a place in Tiverton named Weetamoo Woods. It's next door to Little Compton. Has tight singletrack and some pretty technical stuff. Next time out you should give it a look. Poke around and have some fun.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    You could try Destruction Brook Woods in So. Dartmouth it's about a 30 min. drive, also there is Massasoit State Park in Taunton, that would be about an hour fifteen minutes from Little Compton.

MC MasterShake
    Quote Originally Posted by valerie View Post
    Thanks to all who responded!

I didn't get moving early enough Sunday morning to make the Arcadia fun ride, so I took Woodyak's advice & checked out Otis, which was about 1.5 hours away. Nice narrow singletrack, roll-y, different from what I'm used to, fun! Reminded me of some trails in FL. Seemed like most of the trails were created by dirtbikes...? Found a map online, no access to a printer but I downloaded it to my Droidphone but it was still quite a challenge to navigate - all part of the fun, though!

Thanks again,
    ---Valerie.
    Glad you enjoyed it. I didn't realize it was that far away. I thought RI was only like 20 minutes long

Lurker
    Aug 2005

Update:

I did check out Arcadia my second weekend, started near the white church & rode counterclockwisish, I enjoyed JB Hudson, Breakheart, Escoheag, & Mt Tom singletrack. Lotsa variety, I especially liked the slow, techie rocky stuff though there was definitely some hikeabike for me, especially on Mt Tom south of 165. Very pretty. Got a bit lost & ended up shwacking between Flat & Falls river but otherwise the map I bought was spot on & this was much easier to navigate then Otis. Good stuff!

I liked it so much I went back again at the end of my project & checked out trails near Browning Mill Pond, Arcadia Trail over by the interstate, most all the singletrack around Bald Hill and the trail around the pond. Nice tricky little bridges and rock gardens. Some mud bogs on Arcadia that looked like they were flagged for future bridges, & cool boulder fields.

I'm on to NJ to visit my folks, then home to WNC - thanks for sharing info on some very cool trails with me & if you're ever up in the Asheville area post up on the N/S Carolina mtbr forum & I'll be happy to return the favor!

---Valerie.