what's for lunch today?
    Feb 2004

OT: turning on a radiator?

yeah, nothing to do with cycling. i'm a newb at these big metal things. how do you turn them on? should they make a noise or something? does my wall thermostat have anything to do with it? freezing my butt off..

The cat who could ride a bike

CB2
    Jam Econo
    First make sure you have oil in your oil tank (if you have an oil furnace), and the pilot is lit. If not call the oil company for a fill up and for them to light your pilot.
    Then turn the thermostat to the temp you want (you can do this first, and if the start tinking and gets hot, you've got heat).
    If you have oil, the burner is lit, and there is no heat, turn the knob at the base counter clockwise.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    good luck, i usually try to sell the wife on the no heat until November rule, but even i broke down tonight.

In the rear with the gear
    Quote Originally Posted by CheapTrek
    good luck, i usually try to sell the wife on the no heat until November rule, but even i broke down tonight.
    I hear you but I never win. My wife turned on the heat for the kids a couple of weekends ago when it got down to 40 on night.
    Get some Cycle Snack!

Iron Horse MKIII
    Q Ball 29er
    Fetish Fixed-ation 69er

mtbr member
    If the other radiators in your house are working, but one is not, you might need to bleed the air out of it. Air gets trapped in the upper part and no heat comes out. There is a small, knuckle-sized bleed valve on one end of the radiator, at the top. You need a special 'key' to open the valve and bleed the air out. Simply crank it open and let all the air out. When nothing but water shoots out of the valve, you're good.

You should be able to pick up a 'key' at one of your local hardware stores. Try a small mom & pop shop. They'll know what you talking about when you ask for one.

mtbr member
    If you can not get the key to work you can just unscrew the little valve. That's what I've always had to do in my house but remeber if you break it off there no stopping the water flow.
    You may learn to love these things. I hate forced air for heat and only put the a/c on when I have to. The radiator is a great place to dry gloves and wet boots and or hands and feet when you come in from the cold.

what's for lunch today?
    Feb 2004
    hmm. there's no noise whatsoever from these things and they definitely aren't heating up. i'll check in with the landlord to see what's up. bought a couple of small heat fans in the meantime. it was cold last nite. brrr. can't wait til winter..

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    My guess is the water level is low in the boiler. There should be a sight glass on the side with the water about half way up. If there isn't any there's a valve leading to it that needs to be opened 'till it comes up.
    This happened at my cousins'. They went away for a while, I went over to check the house and it was down to 50. The college kids renting the top floor were freezing! The thing is, my cousin showed them how to check/fill it.

what's for lunch today?
    Feb 2004
    someone came by today and now it works. although the bedroom is too hot and the living/dining rooms are too cold. i read it's safe to throw a blanket over em to reduce the heat. is that true? or will turning the knob at the base do the same?

speaking of bikes, i'm gonna go for my first CT ride Wednesday.