Thread: Ocean Staters

mtbr member

Ocean Staters

I've had a mildly set goal of hitting all the New England states on my trusty steed. It just so happens that after 3 years of dilly dallying around and not getting NH or RI done circumstances have made it happen for me.

I have a weekend that might align in a way that I could check your tiny home off the MTB map. Now I ask you, where do I go? I'll be coming back from a business trip into Providence, from there I would normally drive back to the Cape, but am willing to go out of the way a bit to hit the classic RI singletrack. I just need ya'll to point me in the direction.

mtbr member
    Which weekend? There's a fun ride at Arcadia this Sunday. See thread in this forum.

mtbr member
    Likely Saturday the 26th of October.

mtbr member
    I'm supposed to be going on vacation the next day, so not sure if I'll be riding. If so, I'd gladly meet up and show you around either Arcadia or Big River. If not, I could provide you some gps tracks. If you post on facebook, there's a rinemba group where you could ask for a guide.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/116459968081/

mtbr member
    Thanks! Sounds like Arcadia might be the place to go if I can only hit one RI spot int he foreseeable future? I will try to make contact with RINEMBA people before I head out.

mtbr member
    Well, Arcadia is the largest, and has the most varied terrain, IMO. It also has more marked trails that are easier for a visitor to follow. You can easily put together a 20+ mile loop of marked trails that would be reasonably easy to follow.

Big River is smaller but is probably the most popular. It's riddled with trails, but very few are marked and it's real easy to get lost and/or go in circles. Not that you'd be LOST, as you can't get more than 3 miles or so from a road, but you might not be able to find and follow the trail you're looking for. The trails are the easiest, most XC oriented in the state.

If you're looking for a somewhat more DH oriented experience, in the northern part of the state there's Lincoln Woods and Diamond Hill. Like Big River, Lincoln Woods has an incredible number of trails packed into a small area, but they are not marked so it's hard to put a loop together and follow it. Very hilly, lots of jumps, rollers, etc. Diamond Hill is a new area that has one, 9 mile marked loop. I haven't ridden there, but apparently there's lots of downhill oriented features.

Finally, furthest south is Burlingame which has a pretty good xc loop. It's marked pretty well and is relatively flat. Lots of rock gardens provide the difficulty.

All have decent writeups on the rinemba.org website.

mtbr member
    You can make some really fun loops in Burlingame out of the Yellow trails and its various off shoots. I usually park at the swimming area and ride around the pond counterclockwise hitting the side trails as I go. The area in and around the campground proper has a lot of fun and swoopy trails. Conditions in the campground tend to be sand, everywhere else is rock, dirt and the odd patch of bridged mud (lots of bridges, including a covered one).

Ri Nemba has a good map and write up of the area- RI NEMBA Burlingame State Park and Great Swamp Press*|*The Best Walks in Rhode Island has maps for sale of the various management areas in Rhode Island. Also gotta remember the Orange as RI allows hunting in the management areas from October to February.
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Unless something comes up I'll be riding Arcadia that day. What time were you planning on going?