mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Newcomer from LI

Hey, guys - Just moved to Fairfield from Long Island. Been riding the island's xc trails for years on my Titus RX1. Haven't had a chance to ride yet in CT, but I have heard that it's nothing like what I'm used to. Someone recommended that I invest in a pair of knee/shin guards, so I've been looking into that. Probably going to pick up a set of LizardSkins Softcell pads from Pricepoint.

My bike is straight-up XC - How am I going to do with that? Running on 2.1" Nevegals that are about 3 years old, have been great on LI. Any advice you can give me would be appreciated. I'm really looking forward to hitting up Huntington SP, but probably not going to do it until I've got the pads (Good thinking, or not?).

Hopefully I'll meet up with some of you before too long.
    Thanks,
    Steve

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Best way to find out is by going on a couple rides. Pads are probably a good idea but I personally wouldn't wait/don't wear them. Good luck
    Firm believer in Karma

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You don't need no stinkin' pads! :-) I've been riding in CT for 17+ years, including some pretty chunky stuff. Most of my bikes have been "trail" FS (Titus LocoMoto, Yeti 575), but I'm currently on a 29er HT. You'll have a blast on a Racer X.

mtbr member
    CT is generally rocks, roots, hills, repeat. Precious little flowy singletrack. The advice about taking a few rides on trails in your area is good. If you come back minus some fillings, one option short of a new bike would be high volume tires run tubeless at low pressure.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    You'd probably like Mianus in Stamford. The trails on the Stamford side are fast, flowy and, by CT standards, fairly smooth. As far as your bike an XC bike should be fine.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    check out the post fcnemba below this one and click on the provided link to find some good rides in fairfield county. Huntington park in Bethel would be a good place to start to get up to speed. 2.1 tires are ok, maybe a little bigger 2.25, or 2.35 if you are doing aggressive stuff.Do you spin the pedals and whack your shins alot? I dont hardly wear pads, but elbow pads would be better if you fall alot, very rocky on most trails. Ride on!
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Good advice, thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate it.

calvinator - I ride clipped into crank brothers smarty (or candy? can't remember) pedals, so I don't hit my shins unless I fall. Brings up a good point though, are flat pedals more popular on these rockier trails?

mtbr member
    It seems most I ride with, even freeride off drops and rocks, are clipped in.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"