the giant.

new to the area. where to ride?

im a freshman at college so im very new to the area. ive rode around in about a 5 mile radius around my campus, but theres nothing to ride. im in the west haven area looking for any type of AM-DH level trails. i have my dh bike on campus so dh trails are preferred, but if theres only AM type riding, thats ok too.

so are there any trails in the west haven ct area? (within 20 miles or so)

eb5
    mtbr member
    Trumbull has really nice trails (old mine park)

the giant.
    i found bikerag.com and it has a list of trails with the diffuculty and other things like amount of climbing, added features, "fun and fear" factors, etc. and theres a trail or two in new haven. roughly 4 miles for me. its a 15 mile trail or so. i might have to check it out. there is some climbing but im more than ok with "earning my downs." ill just throw my stiffer spring on my shock to make it pedal a little better. (still soft enough for the downs). ill check out trumbull if i ever get the chance

Delirious Tuck
    crankfire.com or bikerag.com are probably good places to start as they have great local trail listing coverage, maybe can find someone local to ride with. Not much vert in these parts so not much DH perse unless you go to Diablo for liftserve (~2hrs for you).

Trumbull has some great trails, but no DH. Definitely some freeride there. You'll have more fun if you get a 5x5 or 6x6 bike in these parts.

Ninham in NY is also good for longer DH, but again, a long haul for you.

the giant.
    well back home im 20 min from the highest point in massachusetts. so i got the bike to ride that. its a mongoose black diamond single with a 180mm fork. it can have 6.5 or 7.5" of rear travel. with the freedrive suspension it pedals decently well even with a super plush spring. ill give some trails a shot and if the bike doesnt suit what i want in this area ill consider a different bike. but i can probably make due

mtbr member
    You want to ride West rock trails in Hamden/New haven if your in West Haven. There is a trail review on this site with directions. Plenty of good all around up there, some DH too.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

the giant.
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinator View Post
    You want to ride West rock trails in Hamden/New haven if your in West Haven. There is a trail review on this site with directions. Plenty of good all around up there, some DH too.
    im probably going to check those trails out this weekend. pack a day pack with tools and such and make it a day long "epic." and ill be sure to give my opinion on the trails as well

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    westwoods in Guilford is great. Tyler Mill in Wallingford is fun. Millers Pond in Middletown/ Durham is the $hit. closer to Hartford is WH Res, Nepaug, and Case Mtn- all excellent.