mtbr member

Nepuag State Forest

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Kind of rocky.
    The loop I know is only like 7 or 8 miles long, but there is supposed to be a lot more in there. I'd try and find a guide if I were you.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    A lot of cool freeride stuff built up, but it's kind of all over the place. It is a fun place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Did a loop today, very sandy and very buggy. I hadn't hit it in 3-4 years, my memories must've glorified the place. The powerlines are mostly unrideable, deep deep sand patches that catch your front wheel at speed and spin you out. Saw a bunch of moto guys having a blast there though.

A couple nice quick downhill type runs with some well built manmade features if you can find em. Lots of little up and down trails but I couldn't find (or remember where) the extended trails. I attached a picture of part of my loop today, the box is around one of the trails with the booters, start and end point is the little parking lot at the trailhead for reference. The little white horizontal line is where the powerlines are (i think). I did 7ish miles and got lost once or twice. Stay off the fireroads and find a trail cluster, unless you're into that sandy, rutted stuff.

Lot's of people walk their dogs off-leash here, just keep a heads up coming around corners.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Nepuag State Forest-picture-4.png  

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Richtacular View Post
    I started off 44, went up Satan's Kingdom Rd. and followed the blue trail from there, I kept to the left side of the fire road but never crossed the power lines, LOTS of climbing, I'd say most of the first hour was climbing. Whenever there was an option I took the one that seamed to lead to higher elevation, I was trying to find a lookout point, never really did, but when I got to one of the highest points I look to my side and find this little course tucked away in the trees:
    Holy Schnikies!!!!
    Last edited by CB2; 04-18-2012 at 04:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    That hidden dream looks pretty new.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    These photos should be removed. Low key is the way too go. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Hidden dream no more.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

ZEN RIDER!
    please remove the photos!!
    its one thing to post photos with location unknown, another to jeopardize someones
    hard work.
    Its etiquette among the locals not to post location of freeride areas!
    NOT COOL!
    Especially considering the deep of late has torn down & destroyed jumps at Mesh & other riding spots.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    There was a time in my life when I would have killed to find these. Now they would kill me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mt.Biker E View Post
    please remove the photos!!
    its one thing to post photos with location unknown, another to jeopardize someones
    hard work.
    Its etiquette among the locals not to post location of freeride areas!
    NOT COOL!
    Especially considering the deep of late has torn down & destroyed jumps at Mesh & other riding spots.
    Entire post is down now. Apologies, learning as I go. Didn't realize people would want to destroy something great that others obviously put a ton of work into. If my job ordered me to destroy something like that, I would walk.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Richtacular View Post
    Entire post is down now. Apologies, learning as I go. Didn't realize people would want to destroy something great that others obviously put a ton of work into. If my job ordered me to destroy something like that, I would walk.
    Rule #1 for MTB on the interwebs (especially in CT), don't post pix of obviously illegal $hit built on Public Property.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cycle Snack View Post
    Rule #1 for MTB on the interwebs (especially in CT), don't post pix of obviously illegal $hit built on Public Property.
    Actually, rule #1 for MTB is don't build illegal stuff on public property and risk access for the entire community.....just sayin'

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Actually, rule #1 for MTB is don't build illegal stuff on public property and risk access for the entire community.....just sayin'
    Yeah, like that is never going to happen.

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Damn! I was going to give you some positive rep for the rule J, but I have to spread it around.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CB2 View Post
    Damn! I was going to give you some positive rep for the rule J, but I have to spread it around.
    Thanks for the thought! You heading to winding trails this weekend?

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    Thanks for the thought! You heading to winding trails this weekend?
    It's only 7 miles from my house, so yeah.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Porcupine!

We chilled out, had a snack together, talked shop, then I got too close and lost the staring contest so I moved on.

My hands were too shakey to take a decent shot.

Porcupine in Nepaug Forest, CT - YouTube

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Take down that picture! We don't want DEEP going in there and killing it!
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Yeah the jumps in there are huge. Someone's been busy in there the last couple of years building. A new one got done acouple weeks ago near where my tree stand was the last 2 year.
    Can you say Full XO #22.68 salsa moto rapido

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I think a friend and I will be heading into Nepaug tonight after work. Spent the weekend riding Block Island and shorline RI, definitely need a dose of the woods.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd like to try and follow someone who knows what they're doing through TOP and see proj x done properly.

mtbr member

Re: Nepuag State Forest

I searched long and hard for the entrance to this and couldn't find it

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Bumping this.

Through my activity with Cape Cod NEMBA I've made contact with NWCT NEMBA. They are looking to expand. I'm looking for any interested folk who can help that. My crew wants to remain largely out of the picture. And besides, NEMBA is looking at different places. The big 3 to start are probably Tunxis, People's/American Legion, and Burr/Paugnut.

Notice I didn't say Nepaug... I'm from the area and know what goes on there. So does NW CT NEMBA. And contrary to some belief, they really don't want to get in a pissing match with locals and land managers. So Nepaug is no where on their radar.

I know there is riding in the first and last area. Burr/Paugnut, from what I hear, has a semi-good scene going on, but those in that scene may be like my crew and want to remain beyond the borders of NEMBA. While there is riding there, from what I know, its largely illegal.

I know Tunxis has riding as I've done it. But I don't know the trails, I was always led and it was only a few rides. From what I know People's/AL is mainly a hiking only forest, but there is possibly to expand/legitimize.

If you ride these areas, live in these areas, know people who ride these areas, and want to be a part of your community and see MTB expand in the NW CT corner please contact me.

Even if you want to contact me and say "Go f$%& yourself and take your NEMBA with you", please do. Like I said, my best friends said the same thing. This is as much about gauging local interest as it is to gauge trails. Yes, I may try to steer you to the dark side, but just be honest.

Any and all help is appreciated.