mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Needed: Commuter tires for my 29er (Used/worn or recommendations)

Okay, I fully realize that some may consider it heresy to even think about using my mtb for asphalt commuting. But if you've ever been to Newport, you know that some of the roads around here are rougher and gnarlier than many trails. I thought about a roadie or dedicated commuter bike, but after seeing the roads, a roadie is out for commuting purposes, and I don't need/want to spend the money on a single-purpose commuter bike.

Sooo...does anyone have any worn 29er tires they're about to throw away? If you're relatively close to Newport (just about anywhere in RI, really--it's a small state), I'll come get 'em.
    If not, can anyone provide any recommendations for a tire with the lowest profile tread possible for this purpose?
    TIA!!!

EDIT: After some further Googling, I've read a bit about the Schwalbe Big Apple 29" slick. Great reviews. My next question is, should I go with the 2.0" or 2.35" The bike (2010 Cannondale Flash 2 29er) came with 2.25's. Will the 2.0's be "faster" or create less rolling friction? Will the 2.35's produce a noticeable better ride?
    Again, TIA!
    Last edited by usn.mustanger; 05-20-2012 at 02:13 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    You may be overthinking your conundrum, it's already a slick, I don't think .25 on a tire width is going to make much of a difference. I like that tire, and I think i'd go with the 2.25 just for the aesthetics.

I've been looking into a second set of lower profile tires just because I want my meaty tires to stay fresh for when I really need them. I'm going to use the pair of Bontrager 29-2 that came with the bike for when I know I won't need the grip of the 29-4s.

My question for you is what did you do about the wheels? I need a relatively cheap solution.
    Or are you just keeping the slicks on all the time?