mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Moving to RI, where to live?

I will be working in West Greenwich, but looking to live in a great spot for nearby access (as in ride from home) to a good trail system. I also ride road between mtb rides so ideally a good spot with access to both. OK, of course I'm looking for a good community on top of those two. Any thoughts? Suggestions for shops? Any suggestions of clubs to contact or join (I race cross).

Looking forward to being your neighbor and part of your riding community. I'm coming from Seattle (10 years!) which has amazing riding and I know NE does too, really looking forward to exploring and maintaining this awesome two wheeled lifestyle.... Thanks.

mtbr member
    funny. You're moving to this area when I'm about to move to Bellingham. I live in Connecticut now, but lived in RI for a few years.

Anyways, first off... if you like good beer you should hit up the Mews Tavern in Wakefield, RI. There's a cool local bike shop in downtown Wakefield as well. Tell them you're new to the area and they'll give you some info on some rides. They usually do an afternoon right/night ride and end up having beers at the Mews.

Here's a site to look up good spots to ride.

http://www.drawmyhouse.com/bgm.php?state=ct

If you start to miss your "green" "smooth" trails out in Washington then I would HIGHLY recommend you hop in your car for 4 to 5 hours to hit trails in Vermont. They have very similar trails like WA. Kingdom Trails is an epic place to ride. Many other gems up there as well.

Here's a picture of a trail in VT I rode this summer.

Enjoy discovering new "technical" trails we have in NE!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to RI, where to live?-37556_688415752294_14315908_39147593_1046005_n.jpg  

"Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    also, don't get discouraged when you see how flat RI is.

The white mountains are only a few hours away!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Moving to RI, where to live?-white-mountains-new-hamp.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images    
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Supa sweet photos!!! Love that avatar!!!!

?hipster?
    Quote Originally Posted by IF2004
    I will be working in West Greenwich, but looking to live in a great spot for nearby access (as in ride from home) to a good trail system. I also ride road between mtb rides so ideally a good spot with access to both. OK, of course I'm looking for a good community on top of those two. Any thoughts? Suggestions for shops? Any suggestions of clubs to contact or join (I race cross).

Looking forward to being your neighbor and part of your riding community. I'm coming from Seattle (10 years!) which has amazing riding and I know NE does too, really looking forward to exploring and maintaining this awesome two wheeled lifestyle.... Thanks.

West Greenwich, Amgen perhaps? Big River is within one mile, Arcadia 5 miles, two excellent mtb spots to ride. There is also good road riding in that area, not too much traffic. There are some nice areas to live nearby, East Greenwich, West Greenwich, Exeter (more rural) and more. Providence Bike is an excellent shop, Casters (closest to WG) is fine also, Ten Speed Spokes (Newport) is also very good.

Good Luck!

bike dork
    Well, you will be working very near to Big River which boasts a wonderful and varied trail network so that will likely be your first place to check out! Just down route 3 from Big River is Arcadia. This is another large area filled with varied singletrack and doubletrack. Everything from smooth flowy stuff to chunky classic NE singletrack.

Burlingame is a great place to ride and is south of W Greenwich just down Rte 1. Just north of Providence there is Lincoln Woods (my backyard) and further up in SE Mass is Foxboro State Forest. Lincoln is great for XC, but also has arguably some of the better freeride/agressive XC style trails in the state. Foxboro is full of more rocks than a quarry but super fun and not too far from Providence and Boston.

Once you get settled hook up with the locals who ride Big River. There is a ride every Thursday night, year round, weather permitting. The RI NEMBA website has write ups and maps for each of the riding areas in the state. RI NEMBA ride leaders host rides almost every day of the week across the state as well.

NBX and Stedmans are the closest shops to W Greenwich and are both great. Ask to be hooked up with the Thursday night Big River crew when you visit. Or PM me and I can have Pete add you to the email list.

Oh yeah, if you are working at Amgen there are quite a few guys there who ride MTBs too.
    Full disclosure; I sell and repair bikes for a living: http://blackstonebicycles.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks guys, this is great info to get me started. Yes, Amgen. I just learned today there are a few folks from there that ride Big River after work. I'll also talk to folks in the shops as recommended. Hope to stay in touch with you all on this forum. Are there any other RI based forums I should be reading/using?

Playdead - you're a lucky fellow. Bham is a very cool place live and drink good beer with endless riding of all types, and close to the North Shore and Whistler for absolutely insane riding. If you ski or board - Mt Baker is your new heaven. Let me know if you need some details and I'll send you links. If you have never lived in the PNW - what "they say" about the weather here is all true. It's almost laughable how much it rains here, but don't worry, you will definitely be riding epics all year. And make damn sure you make it to the rides off 410 down by Mt Rainier.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I am jealous!! I have been trying to get into Amgen for years!! I actually thought I had a very good shot at one of their engineering positions but I didn't end up getting it!! O well....see you on the trails!

Rez
    mtbr member
    Hey i sent you an email for an inlaw rental
    What goes up must come down

Broken
    Not much in the way of RI based forums besides RI NEMBA. Drop me a line if you want to ride. PM me if you'd like to grab a beverage sometime.

Mountain Man Dan
    I live in the Northwest Corner of the state, near Wallum Lake. We have the douglas state forest up here, incredible forest. Tons of land to bike on, vast amounts of trails. Also more trails that aren't in the forest.

Mud Boy
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbdee
    Well, you will be working very near to Big River which boasts a wonderful and varied trail network so that will likely be your first place to check out! Just down route 3 from Big River is Arcadia. This is another large area filled with varied singletrack and doubletrack. Everything from smooth flowy stuff to chunky classic NE singletrack.

Burlingame is a great place to ride and is south of W Greenwich just down Rte 1. Once you get settled hook up with the locals who ride Big River. There is a ride every Thursday night, year round, weather permitting. The RI NEMBA website has write ups and maps for each of the riding areas in the state. RI NEMBA ride leaders host rides almost every day of the week across the state as well.

NBX and Stedmans are the closest shops to W Greenwich and are both great. Ask to be hooked up with the Thursday night Big River crew when you visit. .

My family vacations in Narraganset every summer. The RI NEMBA guys/gals have been extremely accomodating to me over the years. Big River is far and away my favorite, Burlingame second, and Arcadia third. Big River just has everything.

The Thursday night rides are quite impressive regarding how many folks show up. Lots of great mtn biking...the road riding is great also. Congratulations, your moving to a very bike friendly area!

Broken
    IF2004 do you drive a black DODGE? I think I saw your car in Big River on Monday. If you'd like to ride sometime email me at gleekedon1@yahoo.com

Don

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Not me, but I did finally get my bike shipped to me. Iʻm dying to hit the trails. Iʻll be on a Moots Cinco.