Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Gig'em Aggies!

Moving to RI - looking for trails in the region

As stated in the title, I will be moving to Newport, RI for 6 months due to the Navy. While there, I would like to bike a few of the better trails in the region. Can anyone assist with good trails? If I have to travel more than an hour to get there, then it needs to have good camping (my wife and I will take the kids, camp, and she will watch them while I bike for a bit). The more remote the camping the better (willing to hike/bike in), prefer that dogs are allowed. Thanks in advance.

Delirious Tuck
    Lots of good, technical, and fun single track within an hour of Newport, you're in a great spot with access to CT and MA riding as well so you'll probably want to ride more than you'll have time for.

The RI NEMBA (New England Mountain Bike Assoc.) has info about trails in your immediate area:
    RI NEMBA

For CT/Regional Trails - Check out crankfire.com for a repository of local trails and use this site as well as crankfire to find ride buddies.

MA has a ton of riding as well. NH, VT, and Maine too with VT having a couple great destination type areas like Kingdom or the Fellowship of the Wheel parks around Burlington and they're building more.

Gig'em Aggies!
    I appreciate the information. Looking forward to riding a new area.

mtbr member

Riding type

What type of riding do you like? We have pretty much everything from smooth XC to Abbreviated DH runs with XC tech and aggressive All mountain in between.
    Check out Big River in West Greenwich for XC stuff, there is a great Thursday night ride that goes all year round (Snow permitting) Lincoln Woods State park for AM and DH and Arcadia St. Park as well as Burlingame State Park (excellent camping in Burlingame) for good Techy XC.

For a state with no mountains, RI has great MTB trails.

Gig'em Aggies!
    I generally ride XC but would like to get some AM in as well. I'll check those places out when I get there.

Broken
    kray feel free to drop me a line. I live close to big river area.

Gig'em Aggies!
    Sounds good, I'll officially be up there near the end of March.

Rez
    mtbr member
    There are a couple of remote campsites in Arcadia

RI Parks

Also there are a ton of places in NH, VT and upstate NY that are only 3 hours away
    What goes up must come down

mtbr member
    Don't forget about western Mass either. They have some awesom riding and camping out there

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Is there a thread with more description on Lincoln woods? I spend a lot of time coming down from NH to Tiverton to visit and have been looking for an AM riding location, the more technical the better.

mtbr member

Linocln Woods

Quote Originally Posted by hcklr View Post
    Is there a thread with more description on Lincoln woods? I spend a lot of time coming down from NH to Tiverton to visit and have been looking for an AM riding location, the more technical the better.
    There is not much in terms of maps or trail description. You just sort of need to head to the proper section of the park and go exploring. So many trails and intersections at LW that a map would be almost to difficult to follow without stopping all the time.

Shoot me a PM if you want some more description, I might be able to give you a tour depending on when you are planning on heading in there. I live right outside the park.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by hcklr View Post
    Weetamoo woods in Tiverton is pretty good. Some interesting little side trails and it's in Tiverton. I ride there when I visit Westport, MA.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lincoln woods (conveniently located 1 mile from my house) is increasingly making it hard to travel. It is whatever you want it to be. It's insane. I go there 3 times a week or so [usually hiking w/ my 9 month old son(in a carrier)] and i still haven't explored most of it. Perfect training ground for all-mountain riding.
    Everything is pretty much natural, too. No built ramps. (well, there are a couple little bridge pieces over little mudbeds)

And of course, its FREE.

I'm going there today.

mtbr member
    If you're looking for some good AM/Freeride in Rhode Island I'd def check out Arcadia Management Area in Exeter. It's considered RI's playground for mountain bikers. Arcadia is HUGE with miles of trails, def grab a map. My personal favorite spot in Arcadia is what they call "the ledges", it's freeride heaven with some pretty gnarly stuff. Another great spot somewhat close to RI is the Vietnam trails in Millford Mass. Those trails are owned by NEMBA and are well maintained year-round. Lots of fun over there, everything from drops, man-made obstacles, berms, rocks, descents, ect..On a side note, Hurricane Irene did a hell of a number on Arcadia last year. I broke my deralluer and hanger on some debris and havn't been back since. I'd be interested to see if the trails have been cleaned up.
    Last edited by BoozeFahba; 02-10-2012 at 06:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Hey booze^ I would love to check out this ledges place you speak of. Where do you park for access?

mtbr member
    Ledges are located on a side road off the main road. It's called Escoheag Road. It's not that far up once you're on escoheag. Look for a red cabin on your right and that's it. Take the dirt road on the right side of the cabin all the way down.

Gig'em Aggies!
    Just made it to Middletown. Going to try and hit up Arcadia sometime next week (after I unpack my household goods).

Where is the best place to park for beginner/intermediate stuff (my wife may ride with me)?

Broken
    If you're free Sunday afternoon.... I'm free. I'd be glad to give you a quick tour of Arcadia or big river.

Arcadia parking on either Arcadia Rd @ browning mill pond or right off of 165. Shoot me a PM for phone number/contact info.

Don

Gig'em Aggies!
    We'll be unpacking this weekend, but I'll take you up on that another weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeke View Post
    If you're free Sunday afternoon.... I'm free. I'd be glad to give you a quick tour of Arcadia or big river.

Arcadia parking on either Arcadia Rd @ browning mill pond or right off of 165. Shoot me a PM for phone number/contact info.

Don
    Hi Don, Im very familiar with BMP, I pound large mouth bass out of there, that lil pond yeilds HUGE bass due to the state stocking it with trout, anyway, Im interested in some of the trails around that area.

kray, Im still kind of new at the mtbr thing but I really enjoyed Big River and have made a couple trips there with a buddy, Theres some techy stuff there but I just stayed on the moderate trails....and theres a couple places up the road form there that get real techy n rocky and huge hills, thats across from RT3 on the Coventry RI side.

Broken
    Kray...Just give me a few days notice. Kids family work life. You know.....

ArcticCat500 let me know. I may be riding there Sunday AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Gleeke, PM sent....TY

mtbr member
    i vote for Big River if you're bringing your wife... The ledges are awesome for fun, never more then 10 minutes from the car and all sorts of stuff "to do"...

sweet "winter" ride Video - Pinkbike.com

my favorite Big River sections

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Great thread. I'm in the same boat as kray, heading to Newport for some Navy skoolin' (although I'll be up there for just shy of 2 years). I'll be there the first week of May. I've been lurking this forum for a bit, and I can't wait to see what the area has to offer. I'm pretty stoked.

I also wanna start getting my kids (8 &11) into mtb. Where's a good place to (safely) get them into it?

Oh, and what are the favored LBS's in the area?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by usn.mustanger View Post
    Great thread. I'm in the same boat as kray, heading to Newport for some Navy skoolin' (although I'll be up there for just shy of 2 years). I'll be there the first week of May. I've been lurking this forum for a bit, and I can't wait to see what the area has to offer. I'm pretty stoked.

I also wanna start getting my kids (8 &11) into mtb. Where's a good place to (safely) get them into it?

Oh, and what are the favored LBS's in the area?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I dont know about the Newport area but over the bridge and into Wakefield, the guys at WE,Stedmans are topnotch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast