CB2
    Jam Econo

Miller's Pond or Tyler's Mill?

Thinking about hitting some place new (to me) today, which do you think would be better for some solo exploration; Tyler's Mill or Miller's Pond?
    I'm a XC rider with pretty good skills; I'll ride anything naturally in the trail but I'm not going out of my way to throw myself off a cliff. But I'd like to get in something of a workout and not just hop from rock to rock.
    I typically ride the Res, Nassahegon, and Case.

mtbr member
    Is it still hunting season over there? When I lived down in Hamden, a few people told me not to go to Tyler's Mill durning hunting season. I vote for Westwoods

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    For your type of riding I would def go with Tyler MIll.

Loser
    Even though Millers is a hucker's dream, it is still a very good and challenging ride without doing the big stuff. There is a lot of technical riding where it takes a lot of balance and riding skill to make it through. If you ride the full XC and practice loops its a pretty good day in the saddle.

I don't huck and every ride at Millers is great.

I haven't ridden Tylers in a long time, so I probably don't have the current info, but last time I rode there it was a decent ride, but really XC oriented - its just pedaling with little challenge.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    I've still never made it over to Miller's, but I love to ride at Tyler's Mill... fast course that's a fun break from the rock and such at the Res, Case, etc

mtbr member
    BikeRag............Hunting Season: The third Saturday in October and up until the end of February. Hunting is only permitted Mondays, Wednesday and Saturday from sunup to sunset. On those "hunting-allowed days" all others are prohibited.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Hucker's Dream? There are a few, very few hucks at millers(?). Millers has a good amount of techy ST, with sticky rocks and endless skinnies (log rides). The trail is well thought out and anything, remotely, enhanced has a go-around. If you want to improve your technical skill/bike handling, this is the place to go.

IMO, Tyler is ok - but does not compare to millers.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by MHTFD View Post
    Hucker's Dream? There are a few, very few hucks at millers(?). Millers has a good amount of techy ST, with sticky rocks and endless skinnies (log rides). The trail is well thought out and anything, remotely, enhanced has a go-around. If you want to improve your technical skill/bike handling, this is the place to go.

IMO, Tyler is ok - but does not compare to millers.
    Gotta' remember it's all relative though - one mans huck is another mans speed bump. Or the other way 'round.

But, yeah, Millers kicks ass no matter what type of riding you're into, unless you just want baby ass smooth singletrack.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Ha! Never know who's out there I don't get over here much, but BR is a bit slow right now...and there is a devinci atlas thread with pics here Scratch that- actually, I'm here daily - just never get beyond the classifieds!

Out of the 100+ trail features (no exaggeration)... there are, maybe, 7-8 jumps/drops/hucks - nothing over 4ft, all with go-arounds, a few of those 'hucks' being off trail. No gaps. If you count skinnies with exit elevation, we might be able to count 15-16...between 1ft-4ft. Anything less, really, qualifies as a speed bump!

It is all definitely relative...

Il

Loser
    sorry, jeepers - I shouldn't have said hucks. I was speaking in general about the higher up stuff - both skinnies and the few drops, obviously the wrong word. Sorry for the confusion...
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Last time I went to Tyler Mill (summer 2010) it sucked. Wet, buggy, lots of ATV damage, and I couldn't find any good trails (although that doesn't mean they're aren't any). There's an initiative in progress to go in there and do trailwork, improve what's there and maybe add some trails. It might never be as good as Millers but it will be better than it is now. Watch this forum for postings.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Tyler got a grant last year and they spend a good amount of money in there. Lots of new bridges and they started grooming up some trails. They are putting some effort into the place and it is only going to get better.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Its always good to hear that 'grant money' is helping re-vitalize trails, but the best part of most trail is not something you can buy! Between Tyler and Millers...Millers takes it hands down. Rode Tyler last, last week and it was in good shape.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Tyler mill is my go to spot, primarily because it is right down the road. Completely different from Millers.

Tyler Mill is primarily XC singletrack built around a few gravel double track roads. You can connect the single track into some pretty fun loops if you know the place. There are some small drops and a good number of log rides there (plus a fun little teeter totter), but every trail feature is optional.

Millers is a work of trail building art. The red trail basically connects every unridable looking pile of rocks in the park, but there are strategically placed rocks that make them all rideable. Tons of log rides, good amount of drops. I am a decent rider, and every time I am there it humbles me. No place better to build skills when you are bored with your local spot.

Millers is hands down better than Tyler Mill, but it is not for beginners, even the "XC" loop is more technical than Tyler Mill.

Iko
    mtbr member
    Anyone that claims to be an MTB'er has to go to Miller's at least once.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kroe View Post
    Tyler mill is my go to spot, primarily because it is right down the road. Completely different from Millers.

Tyler Mill is primarily XC singletrack built around a few gravel double track roads. You can connect the single track into some pretty fun loops if you know the place. There are some small drops and a good number of log rides there (plus a fun little teeter totter), but every trail feature is optional.

Millers is a work of trail building art. The red trail basically connects every unridable looking pile of rocks in the park, but there are strategically placed rocks that make them all rideable. Tons of log rides, good amount of drops. I am a decent rider, and every time I am there it humbles me. No place better to build skills when you are bored with your local spot.

Millers is hands down better than Tyler Mill, but it is not for beginners, even the "XC" loop is more technical than Tyler Mill.
    I agree completely. I Absolutely love millers pond. It is a perfectly designed trail and has plenty of challenge everywhere.

However, just like Kroe I live about 3 miles from Tyler MIll right off Rt17 so I go there at least twice a week for warm up rides. On the weekends, I usually venture out to other trails in CT, one of them being Millers, which I love!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Miller' Pond trails are what compelled me to buy a real bike and quit risking my life and manhood on a Mongoose from walmart. I thought I was tough for surviving the red trail on that mongoose, now i realize i was only hindering an amazing time. On the new Marlin, I'm just so addicted, and I make the 1hr drive to Miller's as often as possible. I don't care how many times I go over the handlebars or botch a landing so bad that I need a time out, I'd still rather be at Miller's getting my @$$ beat than be at a place that's more simple and less technical.
    Last saturday a few friends and I rode about 4 hours around the whole system of trails and then spent another 40 minutes just taking turns trying to get down this huge boulder right at the beginning of the red trail. (the bike is in the shop now for some wheel straightening )

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    both good and both quite different. obviously millers is quite good and technical but its quite short too. the red loop all the way around is only 7 miles so i usually end up doing it twice. tylers has a little bit more in trail length but now its super fast so you can end up making longer and longer loops through there. its much easier to keep adding sections to your ride in tylers.

Iko
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richtacular View Post
    Miller' Pond trails are what compelled me to buy a real bike and quit risking my life and manhood on a Mongoose from walmart. I thought I was tough for surviving the red trail on that mongoose, now i realize i was only hindering an amazing time. On the new Marlin, I'm just so addicted, and I make the 1hr drive to Miller's as often as possible. I don't care how many times I go over the handlebars or botch a landing so bad that I need a time out, I'd still rather be at Miller's getting my @$$ beat than be at a place that's more simple and less technical.
    Last saturday a few friends and I rode about 4 hours around the whole system of trails and then spent another 40 minutes just taking turns trying to get down this huge boulder right at the beginning of the red trail. (the bike is in the shop now for some wheel straightening )
    Perfect attitude broham!

mtbr member
    Richtacular- good choice getting a marlin, I've been riding one for the past 12 years and I've given it a serious beating and its still holding up strong.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys.
    My bike will continue to take beatings as long as I do.... or I upgrade...