mtbr member

Mianus River Park Trail Conditions?

Hey all. I'll be accompanying my fiance to Stamford next weekend. I was excited to find the Mianus River Park nearby, but what are the conditions this time of year? I'm a few hours south. Is it worth it to bring the bike? Or is it going to be a muddy, snowy mess?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Also feel free to throw in any must ride sections of trail!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I'm in central CT, and based on conditions here, "muddy, snowy mess" would be a good description. A hard freeze is the only thing that would help, but that's not in the cards either. Maybe Mianus locals might have better news for you, but I doubt it.

mtbr member
    I thought that might be the case so thanks for confirming. Normally a little snow or mud is okay, but staying in a hotel and locking my bike in the back of my SUV to drip dry isn't ideal.

I guess I'll go with plan B. A hike and a camera is better than nothing.

Delirious Tuck
    Mianus is a mess.

We have a trail maintenance session there on Saturday morning.

I'd say generally in Fairfield County unless we get 20*ish temps for the night and you're on the trails before 9am or we get a ton of wind most of the trails will be no go till mid-March.

Cheers,
    RT

President, FC NEMBA

fcnemba.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Mianus is a mess.
    Guess that settles it. Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to be having another trail maintenance session Saturday March 9th? My fiance will be attending a seminar and I'm going to be twiddling my thumbs in a hotel room if I can't come up with something to do.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kubikeman View Post
    Guess that settles it. Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to be having another trail maintenance session Saturday March 9th? My fiance will be attending a seminar and I'm going to be twiddling my thumbs in a hotel room if I can't come up with something to do.
    Hey, Stamford has awesome urban freeriding if thats your thing! City is mostly dry/no snow.

Rode it today, perfect!!!
    Last edited by calvinator; 03-05-2013 at 01:17 PM. Reason: new info
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Mianus is a mess.

Cheers,
    RT

President, FC NEMBA

fcnemba.org
    Mud, downed trees, etc.? What's up? I actually stopped in here to see what's happening there.

Delirious Tuck

Mianus River Park Trail Conditions?

Mud... Plus they're starting undercover police patrols for off leash dogs...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Well the mud doesn't surprise me at all, I think it's gonna be a long mud season around here this year. Will those patrols also be giving riders a hard time on the Greenwich side? More than once when I was in there with my kids people walking with their (usually unleashed) dogs gave us a hard time about riding in there and said bikes are not allowed on that side of the park.

Delirious Tuck
    Long story short: I doubt any impacts on enforcement of Greenwich's use concepts on their side of park, just use responsibly so the powers that be continue to keep us in the "role model" user segment...

The Greenwich "ban" is an interesting subject. The town doesn't want MTB, however Passive Recreation (the form of recreation which MTB is widely accepted to be) is in the purchase/sale land agreements with the Goodbody Estate that Mianus River Park was formed from. I've been through the sale docs from the 1970s (while MTB wasn't around at the time) and it is Passive Rec.

If Greenwich did try something they'd have a hard time enforcing it as I believe the CT State Rec Use liability statutes (that popped up due to the West Hartford Rez issue) actually include MTB or cycling in their definitions for Passive Rec.

Now if Stamford and Greenwich had a reason to get together to restrict access, they could probably change or amend the docs such that we would be excluded and then could come after us for trespassing. That said, NEMBA has a great relationship with the Friends and the City of Stamford so I wouldn't worry about that at this point so long as the MTB community continues to use the park responsibly.