mtbr member
    Nov 2009

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Interesting

That would be great for cyclist , but I'm don't live anywhere near the Parkway.

I'm all MTB myself , but many people are still waiting for Plainville to even start their portion of rails-to-trails, which is now in Farmington and Southington. Plainville is holding it up, years now.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    When briefly living in Stamford, my commute entailed hitting the Merritt a fair bit. always thought you could stick in some awesome trail along those wooded areas.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    That would be great for cyclist , but I'm don't live anywhere near the Parkway.

I'm all MTB myself , but many people are still waiting for Plainville to even start their portion of rails-to-trails, which is now in Farmington and Southington. Plainville is holding it up, years now.
    I'm from Plainville and have tried to follow this story as the years pass, and from what I understand, there are several areas that they don't know how to get around (private property, functioning railways, swamps) and this keeps progress at a standstill.

mtbr member
    Cheshire here, would love to see it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Plainville has a major issue of an active train thru the center of town to Forestville Lumber, due to this the greenway would need to go thru the center of town on roads and be pushed west to Norton Park. Money is also needed to buy the unused rail ROW from Northwest Drive to the town waste water treatment plant on Cronk Rd and in the current political environment where getting money to fix roads is tough, money for bike trails is close to impossible. The last issue is the southern end needs to go thru Norton Park onto a ROW over industrial park land in order to not use a state highway. A few years ago they had an event called "Choose the Route" in order to get feedback from the local riders.

The Merritt Trail would be a welcomed addition to the greenway system. Originally, when this road was done the CT DOT purchased a large ROW (over 1000 ft) to accommodate a linear trail system but has found that the topography in some areas made this goal close to impossible. Also of concern is the close proximity of homes to the road in certain areas.

mtbr member
    That's a lot fumes to be breathing in while riding. I'd also worry about safety. I commute from Norwalk to White Plains and see lots of accidents where they go off the road. I like the concept but I'm not sure how they could do it safely.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    For us southerners (Fairfield Cty)
    Imagine doing a pseudo-epic ride from Mianus over to Bradley and/or Wilton Woods via the proposed Norwalk trail or riding up to Huntington. I'm sure there are possibilities like that in the eastern part of the state as well.

Yeah there are a lot of details still to work out [avoiding fumes!... getting across major north south roads, etc.) but the initial idea seems cool.

mtbr member
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"