mtbr member

Long rides within 30 min of torrington?

I'm looking for somewhere to ride preferably off-road that will last about two four hours within 30 minutes of

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Havent actually ridden here but you could try the Harwinton Rec center trails, as well as i can say the West Hartford Reservoir have some nice trails and theres tons of options.

Harwinton Recreation Center, Harwinton, CT : New England Mountain Biking Community
    West Hartford Reservoir, Hartford, CT : New England Mountain Biking Community

Also heard amazing reviews of Nassahegan In Burlington. (also havent made my way out there yet.)
    Burlington / Nassahegan, Burlington, CT : New England Mountain Biking Community

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    The Harwinton center only has a small amount of trails and its really not meant for biking...the trooper that sits in there sometimes will say something....the Rez is abit further than he probably wants to go...its about 40 minutes from T...more from where he lives.

Nassy is about the only area that you can get 2-4 hour ride though depends how slow you ride...and do it without a tour leader and you can get in 2 hours and never be more than a mile from the car....LOL!!

mtbr member

Re: Long rides within 30 min of torrington?

Thanks guys my two spots I go to are nepaug and burr pond but I need more variety

Delirious Tuck
    Hmmm... Blue mt in peekskill is a hike but you can get the timing you're looking for there or Batchelor St./Holyoke range in Holyoke/Amherst MA.

I hear bennett's pond has some bigger loops but you need a guide.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Interesting, I'm moving out to Harwinton, and was looking for trails on map, I'll post some I found but not mentioned when I get a chance later

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Justinm860 View Post
    I'm looking for somewhere to ride preferably off-road that will last about two four hours within 30 minutes of Torrington

You could ride your bike all day at Nassahegon/Burlington and not ride the same trail twice!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Up here in bantam we have white memorial, all well groomed double track. Some decent climbs and decents though. I usually do a ten mile loop from my house and its pretty fun and takes about an hour. You could spend more time in there though 35 miles of trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Also have black rock state park in thomaston. The trail up to the cliff is pretty hard core and you have to hike half of it but the decent is cool and the lower trails are all wide hard pack through forest with rollers up an down and some fun little bridges and free ride oppurtunitys.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
    Up here in bantam we have white memorial, all well groomed double track. .
    Man..havent been there in like 15 years...at that time we had a 10 mile single track that started off of the south side of the place...down near White Flower farm. Parts of it were on water co property but they blocked off like 1/2 of the trail. Heard the WM side of it is still open. Need to get back in there some day though dual track riding is not my cup of tea.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Yeah, it's pretty easy for the most part, the water company stuff on the south side of 63 and the beaver pond trail is in full swing. They blocked off the entrance at the end of the road dings reservoir is on and the entrances from the resovior. Mostly because of the heavy 4x4 jeep usage if the trails are open for even a few days.

I think the beaver pond trails are all single track. Also I know there is a single track that goes pretty far into te reservoir if you start up on wigwam road near the windmill. I've been wanting to get in there but all my friends are scared of single track and I don't really like to go to far into the woods solo in case injury or whatever.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Long rides within 30 min of torrington?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377558948.018883.jpg
    Long rides within 30 min of torrington?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377558933.302127.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Long rides within 30 min of torrington?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377558919.723299.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    . Also I know there is a single track that goes pretty far into te reservoir if you start up on wigwam road near the windmill. .
    Yea sounds like the right area....90% of the single track was pretty much on water co property...one part of it came close to RT109 way down near the end of the rez. But it looped waay around to a road think the name was Chestnut. At the time when there was very little single track it was an amazing trail.

I hate to ride solo...esp having more than few bear run ins....and taking a wicked bad crash all alone...but I still do it 95% of the time now. Go armed with bear spray/whistle....and some first aid stuff. Plus I ride a lot slower now and no more screwing around on stunts.

Sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread....Nass is still the best bet to get in a ton of single track riding.

mtbr member
    Nassahegon/Burlington is your best bet for long rides close to Torrington. I recommend riding with someone who knows the area. There's an intermediate paced NEMBA ride there every Thursday evening.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Went to Burr Pond today. Have been there dozens of times over the years, and always ride the same loop. But found a lot of new singeltrack today. My hats off to the trail gnomes. Unfortunately I found the new stuff later into my ride and didn't have the energy to explore more. I cant wait to go back now-lol

Tom

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Don't know if the start of this is within 30 minutes of Torrington (might be close), but this is about as long as they get in CT:
    Tour de Talcott Connecticut Trail Reviews

mtbr member

Up here in bantam we have white memorial, all well groomed double track. Some decent climbs and decents though. I usually do a ten mile loop from my house and its pretty fun and takes about an hour. You could spend more time in there though 35 miles of trails.
    Where is bantam white memorial

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

mtbr member

Thank you I think I'll head there in a few hours

mtbr member
    What a great place to ride not very technical but a blast to ride

mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Not very tech at all but a lot of fast places and tons of places to explore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk