mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Lincoln Woods Ride Report Thread

I'm Always wanting to post info on rides at Lincoln Woods, so i thought a designated thread would be nice to share info about rides and field questions about the trails.

Was at Lincoln Woods for an hour today, right at the tail end of the sunlight. Didn't have a lot of time, so mostly did a few favorites. Wanted to try a drop on Coaster, but chickened out. It's tough to make yourself try things when you're alone. Still kicking myself about it, though. Also did Pantyline, and the only part i can't do is that last descent right before the wooden ramp going up to that rock. I don't have the hang of letting the back tire slide. I'm not at the point where i could just drop off the side, either.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Brought a friend to Lincoln woods yesterday, interesting ride.
    He has had a mountain bike for a while, and he said he's never ridden on trails before. since he was interested in doing burlingame in may, it's about time!
    I'm not worried as far as his fitness, because he does long rides on the road, but i knew he needed some more technical skills.
    His mountain bike is a Wal-goose fs, but it looked pretty burly, having a swing-arm style rear coil shock, rather than the useless shock-into y-frame weld style i'm used to seeing on such bikes.
    We get to the trails, and i choose some more xc-ish trails. things aren't looking good. He's really lagging. on some turns, he has to stop, push the bike back, then restart in the new direction. He said "wow!this is so much harder than the road!" I tried suggesting a couple declines that he declined (passed up, i mean)
    Meanwhile, he thought i was this biking expert because i didn't have to keep getting off the bike, and some of the technical sections i could do.
    After a while, my curiosity got the best of me, and i asked if we could switch bikes for a bit.
    THAT THING WAS A TANK. It must have weighed 50 pounds, at least! You had to be in the smallest gears to keep this thing going on flat ground. The suspension was absolutely useless, except to make the thing rattle and feel uncertain. it had a mandatory seat position that was so high, i felt like i was riding stilts on wheels. And the thing doesn't turn. i don't know what the problem is with the geometry, but it's like driving a school bus in the woods.
    When he rode my bike, He was like "wow, this is amazing!" my bike is no lightweight, being a haro FS, but it was probably 20 pounds lighter than his. he was like "this is SO easy, it handles so well!" "All thatstuff i couldn't do was because of my bike." "i'm actually not a bad rider", etc..
    We got to the bottom of the trail, and he said, "I'm sold! I'm going to get a better bike."
    We ended up going to a bike shop to test ride some new bikes. Him, to see what he liked, me, to try out a HT 29er (just to see what they're like). I explained the differences between a 26 and a 29, and he was very interested in the 29, so we both tried a felt 9 29er, i liked it a lot, and he decided that he wanted to get a 29er, so he also tried a cannondale 29er and a specialized hardrock 29, and he liked the cannondale. He's going to try to get a new bike by the end of the summer. He was so excited that it was his bike that sucked and not him, and that he could actually have fun on the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Pretty incredible that a bike can suck that bad to really have an affect on his riding. Good that you got him on your bike so he did not thow the towl in on mtb all together.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Me and my wife went yesterday for about an hour or so, concentrated mostly on climbing, did pretty well as far as staying on the bike goes. Tried to get my wife to do a rock descent that i know is within her skill level, but she wasn't ready. She approached that thing 5 times before we just had to go. Maybe next time. Found a couple tight and fast sections that were fun. Also found a rock that i'm trying to get up and over, then drop off the end. keep on getting my pedal stuck at the up and over part. it's on my to-do list.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Well, on the way to school yesterday, i left a little early to go through the trails instead of taking 123. Passed by the rock mentioned in previous post, and just did it. twice. It looks more impressive than it really is, but i am happy that saw myself doing it and then did it. Also nice, my last class was just taking a quick exam, so i stole the last rays of daylight to cut through the trails on the way home, too.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    Rooney- Sounds like you know the place fairly well, woud you be up for showing a neighbor from MA around LW one of these weekends? I've seen a lot of videos online and the place looks pretty fun, it's tough to tell how big it is and how big the features are, but I ride LynnWoods (the MA LW) all the time which is pretty fun by most standards.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    that sounds good, gnar. though this weekend isn't good. I have my favorite spots, though i can't hit any of the big stuff yet. I've never been to lynn woods, but from what i've read in Bike and seen on btrails.com, sounds kind of similar.

Sun Devils
    Jan 2008
    I ride about every weekend so as long as you can give me a few days notice I can get down there most Saturdays or Sundays. Next weekend maybe?

More than one, of course!

Small group ride?

Quote Originally Posted by gnar602 View Post
    I ride about every weekend so as long as you can give me a few days notice I can get down there most Saturdays or Sundays. Next weekend maybe?
    I been there a couple of times but don't know the area well (bouldering) and would love to ride with someone who knows the area. I know a couple of friends who'd love to give Lincoln a go too. Think we can make this a group ride?
    Thanks,
    FR
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Let me check with my wife about this weekend. i have a horrible memory for events that are happening, i think i could do a mid-day saturday.

For those who may be interested, the local bike shop (blackstone bicycles) organizes a weekly monday night ride there at 6pm. I can never go to it because of school. not until summer, at least

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I looked at the weather for saturday, and it says rain/snow showers, and a high of 48 F. If you have to travel, maybe a different weekend might be better?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    On friday afternoon, rode the Woods for about 40min with my friend, who rode Twitch, my wife's old bike. it's a low-end hardtail, and small for my friend, but he doesn't mind since he's coming from a BMX. I'm always jealous of the fact that terrain that i have to build up to over the course of a week, he can do in one or two tries. I still can't get that little hill at the end of pantyline that ends with that pallet up to the rock. It's a mental block or something. My weight just shifts over the handlebars. I do steeper things and gnarlier steep things, even, but this one hill gets me every time. Of course my friend, who can count his mountain bike rides on his hands, can bomb down it easily, rear wheel stylishly swooping out to the side, perfectly lining him up for the pallet ramp. Me? I collapse in a pile near the top.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Went to the woods today, 4/3. Not a single other biker seen the whole time. Checked out bits of coaster, which is rare for me. got up that board to the rock near the end, but didn't take the (small) drop. I wanted to work on drops today, but didn't do anything over a foot or so, because the new shoes i was wearing didn't fell confident on the pedals. I can't reall describe it, but there was a rock descent that have been avoiding for a while that i took today. It was so easy, i could have done it a while back, i guess it just looks worse than it is.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was so excited to get a new shorter stem. I ordered a 50 mm stem to replace my 110 mm. in green. I received it today, and realized that there are not only different width handlebars, (stupid me) but there are also different steerer tube clamp sizes (stupider me). Both sizes are wrong, of course, and i'm so mad at myself because i already stretched the budget to get it. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just the bar size, because i could just put it aside until i was able to swing some clearance bars somewhere, but the other clamp is 1 1/2, and my bike is 1 1/8, so i don't think there's anything i could do for that, is there?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Nope. You can get shims for the handlebars but not for the steer tube. Where'd you get it? Could always do a return/exchange. I'm surprised that the bar clamp size is wrong. 31.8 seems to be pretty universal. What size are your bars/stem clamp? If you've got a smaller diameter bar I'd definitely recommend going to 31.8 with your new stem and changing the bar too. Just wait for the Sunline V1 to pop up on chainlove again. 30 bucks. Or get one of these. Pretty cheap and purrdy colors

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    well, i think the bars are the smaller diameter, though i haven't actually tried it, since my headset is 1 1/8, and the stem is 1 1/2. i got it from transition bike co. on ebay. it says no returns, but since they seem to make it in a 1 1/8 also, maybe they'll exchange it if i pay shipping. otherwise, i'll try to sell it on here or craigslist.