Results 1 to 19 of 19
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73

    Legality of Big River in RI

    So for a while, as far as i know, the inclusion of mountain bikes in the big river plan wasn't defined, so riding there was technically-okay-just-don't-make-a-big-deal-about-it thing. I don't remember where i heard it, but have things changed for big river? Is it strictly forbidden now? or fully ok? would be interested in hearing from someone who knows more than me.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: JSumner13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    1,541
    Hi Rooney....From the RINEMBA website....

    "When the use guidelines were written for Big River mountain biking did not exist. In early 2010 mountain biking in Big River was made legal through a bill in the house spearheaded by Representative Ray Sullivan. New use guidelines are being drafted that will likely be similar to Arcadia for riding in Big River. "

    100% legal due to the hard work of the folks from RI Nemba

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73
    Thanks for the info! Now remind me to join nemba when i can afford it...
    Nemba Rocks! They did a good job for 'nam as well.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10
    What is the legality of dirt bikes at br??

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    407

    Illegal

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy36 View Post
    What is the legality of dirt bikes at br??
    Motorized recreational vehicles are Illegal on all state land in RI. This does not seem to stop Dirt bike people from riding at Big River and Diamond hill though.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    176
    I rode Big River once last fall. Meh. Found a few decent trails and a few that may have been decent before being ravaged by dirtbikes. If I were you I'd stick to Lincoln Woods. If you really want to head down south, drive a few minutes further to Arcadia instead.

    My .02

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    416
    ^ you need to join some locals who know the big river area because it is a fantastic place to ride with plenty of fun to be had for all skill levels! Best spot to ride in RI IMHO.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    10
    I 2nd that. Br has some great singletrack that hasn't been touched by dirt bikes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    407

    Really.

    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    ^ you need to join some locals who know the big river area because it is a fantastic place to ride with plenty of fun to be had for all skill levels! Best spot to ride in RI IMHO.
    I agree, go to the lead Thursday night rides to get a better handle on the good stuff.

    But 'Best spot to ride in RI' C'mon dude. That stings coming from an LW local with a 6" bike.. BTW, where were you Monday night? Further BTW, I saw your now fully rigid (GaG, CHouGH!!) SINGLE SPEED 29er (GaSP!!) at the shop today. I was hoping that was some sort of April Fools joke but Brendan confirmed that it was for reeelzzz. Whats going on with you dude? Did you somehow age 10 years with that birthday you just had?!


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    176
    Yeah I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. The only technical challenges I found at big river were a teeter-totter thingy (yawn) and a shitload of downed logs to cross. Doesn't exactly get me too excited. I like jumping off things, steep rolls, bermed descents, tough slickrock climbs. If a place doesn't have stuff like that, I won't drive more than 10-15 minutes to ride there. I'm from MA but I visit friends in RI a few times a year. I'll probably never got back to Big River now that I've ridden Lincoln Woods. If I was riding a HT 29er and liked to just put in mileage then maybe. And even if I did I'd rather ride Arcadia. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

  11. #11
    Mountain Man Dan
    Reputation: ProjectDan35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    2,181
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Yeah I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. The only technical challenges I found at big river were a teeter-totter thingy (yawn) and a shitload of downed logs to cross. Doesn't exactly get me too excited. I like jumping off things, steep rolls, bermed descents, tough slickrock climbs. If a place doesn't have stuff like that, I won't drive more than 10-15 minutes to ride there. I'm from MA but I visit friends in RI a few times a year. I'll probably never got back to Big River now that I've ridden Lincoln Woods. If I was riding a HT 29er and liked to just put in mileage then maybe. And even if I did I'd rather ride Arcadia. Different strokes for different folks I guess.
    Sounds like you went 100ft down one trail.....ride more before complaining about the place.
    The bike is nothing more then circles turning circles, It's the human motor that makes it elegant.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    176
    Nope, rode maybe 8-10 miles. Obviously you must know the seesaw thing is near the beginning of that trail. Look, I'm not trying to bag on your local spot. I just said it's not for me. Not enough rocks or chunk. The OP has stated in other posts that he rides and enjoys Lincoln Woods so i assumed he'd be looking for similar terrain. If I lived near big river, I'd ride it all the time too. I ride Willowdale in Ipswich MA more than any other place. It's smooth and flat as anything with almost no technical challenge, but it's 10 minutes from my door.
    Last edited by birdman829; 04-04-2012 at 06:57 PM.

  13. #13
    Broken
    Reputation: Gleeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    174
    Big River is the opposite of Lincoln Woods. The trails in there are fun and flowy. Willowdale and Big River are very similar...at least the Weeping Willow race is. I'm not a racer or an HT 29'r guy. You just didn't ride enough of Big River to find the bermy jumpy trails. across from those downed logs is a peice of tight, twisty bermy singletrack....kind of a bicycle roller coaster. Lincoln Woods is a session kind of place....hike up and ride down.

    BTW Rooney have you hit the pond drop yet?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeke View Post

    BTW Rooney have you hit the pond drop yet?
    I'll take a guess that you are referring to the dirt mound at the end of the trail section that comes out near the baseball field? there's a rock jutting out of the side if you don't turn left, and it would send you pretty much into a pond?

  15. #15
    Broken
    Reputation: Gleeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    174
    Yes that's it. When the pond dries out. Perfect drop w a great transition landing.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73
    Well, to answer your question, No. i'm still building up to a 2-footer. I like being with someone when working on drops or jumps, and i'm alone 66.6% of the time. I wouldn't mind practicing on that graduated rock at the end of coaster. the one that has the board leading to it on the left side. that looks like it could take me from the 1.5 foot up to the 3 foot range. Someone said not to use my bike for 3-foot or higher drops. I guess that's what made me want to work on drops in the first place! and hey, if it ruins my Rockshox Bar air shock, then i'll just have to scrounge some cash to replace it with something better. what a punishment.

    I wish it was easier to describe areas. There's a drop i want to build up to that isn't too far from site 26. someone lined up a couple logs so you know the proper line. that looks fun.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: elsinore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Gleeke View Post
    Big River is the opposite of Lincoln Woods. The trails in there are fun and flowy. Willowdale and Big River are very similar...at least the Weeping Willow race is. I'm not a racer or an HT 29'r guy. You just didn't ride enough of Big River to find the bermy jumpy trails. across from those downed logs is a peice of tight, twisty bermy singletrack....kind of a bicycle roller coaster. Lincoln Woods is a session kind of place....hike up and ride down.

    BTW Rooney have you hit the pond drop yet?
    I agree that Lincoln Woods and Big River are opposite of each other. But only because Big River is purely an XC riding area where as LW is more aggressive trail riding with some Freeride features. There is actually a ton of flow in LW which can be linked together in an aggressive XC ride. Lots of new connectors have been cleared out lately and its very possible to ride LW in an aggressive XC style with no bike pushing.

  18. #18
    Broken
    Reputation: Gleeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    174
    The drop you're talking about is off of a rock? I think it's this one. This is an old picture when the transition was in better shape.


  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    73
    that's the one, i'm pretty sure, and yeah, it took a few minutes to recognize it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •