Loser

I'vHelp With the clean up at your local riding spot

A lot of riding places got destroyed by the storm (not news I know). Most of the stuff down is tops and branches. Do us all a favor, instead of driving to someplace that was not affected, go to your local spot and spend a few hours moving stuff off the trail. If we all do that the trail system will all be back on line in a few weeks.

Thanks!
    John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

CB2
    Jam Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    A lot of riding places got destroyed by the storm (not news I know). Most of the stuff down is tops and branches. Do us all a favor, instead of driving to someplace that was not affected, go to your local spot and spend a few hours moving stuff off the trail. If we all do that the trail system will all be back on line in a few weeks.

Thanks!
    John
    Did that yesterday, only to have the MDC officially shut it down today.
    Hopefully it won't take too long for them to deem it safe.
    But you are right, we were able to clear 95% of it without tools.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Cleared a bunch of the local stuff (i can ride there from the house!) today, and will be going back tomorrow to do more.

Tons of small and medium stuff, all snarled. Sizes, shapes, leaves, and the way they are all tangled together are making them not cundusive to building log overs or log rides, so I'm just clearing them.

One big one needing a chainsaw, the rest I was able to get with my Silky and lots of hauling.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Delirious Tuck
    Scrubby, let me know if you want Bikerdave and I up there to help clear, there's another dude that's been helping up that way too that's not online but is enthusiastic to help...

mtbr member
    Last Friday I cleared a bit of trail near the Line St lot by Case with an old bow saw I have, then went home and ordered a good rake tooth hand saw. I expect there'll still be plenty of wood left when it arrives in a few days. I'll be packing it along until things get cleared up.

Also, this Sat. at 9AM, Pedal Power in Vernon is sponsoring a Rail Trail clean up effort in concert with the Town of Vernon. Call them if interested in helping.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Huntington

At this point my friends and I have all but made Huntington's trails really good sans some trails in the NW corner. I finally got in there and got the tree removed off Rock and Roll, just sick of hitting my head on the hanging tree and missed the flow that trail has.

Once those blow downs are taken out and some more work in the "burn" area near the lower lot where some big blow downs from Irene still are that place will be dialed for the fall at least until the new hurricane or dump.

Anyone been riding up between Penwood and T-ville chimney on either the ridge trail or upper ridgeline trail. I love riding there in the fall but do not want to have it turn a hike/ trail clean since I need to drive up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    any word on WH Res still being "closed". i would volunteer some time doing trailwork for sure!

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Scrubby, let me know if you want Bikerdave and I up there to help clear, there's another dude that's been helping up that way too that's not online but is enthusiastic to help...
    It's good to go, man.

Went up there again the next day, only to find the rest of the major trails not only cleared of downed trees, but raked/leaf-blown clear!

Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Probably old news but MRP is good to go. Did 2 hours of tree cutting the Sunday after the storm, and another 7 with thefriar last weekend. Even did some armouring and drainage on wet areas (end of cabin) so it should be riding better than ever. There may even be some Easter eggs for those looking.
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

Loser
    I heard that Middlesex is bad. Pedal Power is doing a maintenance session out there on Sunday. Crandalls in Tolland is 75% good, should be 100% by the end of the weekend.

mtbr member
    Case is much improved - the trail gnomes have been busy. Still work to do though. Used my new 21" rake tooth saw up there this afternoon. Ride saw, ride saw. Cuts through green wood like buddah!

Loser
    Where did you get the saw?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    Where did you get the saw?
    It's this saw. Bought it on Amazon for $45. It's a bit long for bike carry, but I found it rides okay in the bladder section of my Camelback Hawg. The handle whacks the back of my helmet a bit - more funny than annoying. I used duct tape to reinforce the cardboard sleeve it shipped with. Beside the great cutting action of this saw, I find it works very well cutting upward from bottom of the limb as well as from the top side. Cuts on the pull stroke.

https://www.coronatoolsusa.com/rs-71...ooth-saw-21-in

I also have this one on order:

Shorter, so it will be easier to stow on the bike or in the pack. That's the 18" version, they also make a 12" one. Comes with a nice scabbard.

mtbr member
    Going to hit up case in the a.m..... I'll have my saw to clean up a bit too