mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I Took My Wife To Fisher Meadows This Weekend

I took my wife to Fisher Meadows in Avon, CT this weekend. She wanted to get into MTB with me but she is only comfortable on pavement. I am just getting back into it after a 10+ year hiatus. I have been looking for a place to take there that doesn't have much if any climbing. I used to live in Avon and remembered that there were some trails but the trails are much more buff now then they were years ago. It is boreing for the most part but she had fun running single track for her first time, a few tight spots and some ups and downs, nothing that really needs to be climbed, I think we clocked about 4 miles between single track and access roads.
    conlysm

<insert generic signature comment here>

13' Intense Tracer 275

Delirious Tuck
    Penwood might be good, or Nassahegan supposedly has flowy smooth singletrack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Penwood is not the best choice if you're trying to avoid climbing or technical sections. Honestly the place that fits the bill is called Robinson State Park, which is up in Agawam, MA (over the line from Suffield). Lots of new non-technical singletrack, plus old non-technical stuff. There is a little climbing involved, but that's going to be true wherever you go around here. It would be worth the trip for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheeldog View Post
    Penwood is not the best choice if you're trying to avoid climbing or technical sections. Honestly the place that fits the bill is called Robinson State Park, which is up in Agawam, MA (over the line from Suffield). Lots of new non-technical singletrack, plus old non-technical stuff. There is a little climbing involved, but that's going to be true wherever you go around here. It would be worth the trip for you.
    I was just there this weekend, I found most of the ST technical, but I also stayed near the school and power lines, are you saying that if I go further up into the park it gets easier.
    conlysm

<insert generic signature comment here>

13' Intense Tracer 275

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by conlysm View Post
    I was just there this weekend, I found most of the ST technical, but I also stayed near the school and power lines, are you saying that if I go further up into the park it gets easier.
    Not sure what to tell you, other than that around these parts Robinson is pretty far to the non-technical end of the scale. The only things less technical are Winding Trails, Fisher Meadow, and the Farmington Valley Greenway (paved rail trail).

The newer stuff I was talking about is not too far from the school, and you will know what stuff I'm talking about if you felt dizzy at times from all the switchbacking back and forth.

Sounds like you've been away from riding for awhile, so you probably just need to get your mojo / sea legs back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by thefriar View Post
    Penwood might be good, or Nassahegan supposedly has flowy smooth singletrack.
    Penwood + Wife = Divorce. Don't do it unless you something hotter lined up.

Nass has flowy and somewhat smooth singletrack, but its certainly challenging and demanding trails. The faster buff trails there are also tight. The place is damn fun, but I wouldn't take a newer bike handler there.

Wheeldog is right - Robinson is good for what you're looking for.

Gay City State Park isn't bad for a newer rider too. It's rocky but not too technical and the trails are scenic. I took my wife there once and she didn't leave me.

mtbr member

Wow Fisher meadows...

Used to take girls there to hook up in high school. Also painted all the goalposts butt wasted one day as a summer employee of the town. I spent a good eight years of my teen years living in Avon....good times
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!