mtbr member
    Aug 2011

I need some route suggestions

I have been riding the Metacomet trail from Tarrifville to East Granby and I am finding it's a bit advanced for me as far as my physical fitness goes, I just don't have the lungs to be in constant climb mode (yet) I am from this area. Does anyone know of any places near by that are a bit more flat? I don't mind some hills but the stuff I have been doing, well, my lungs can't swing it yet.

How about Penwood? I have not been over there yet.
    conlysm

<insert generic signature comment here>

13' Intense Tracer 275

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Penwood would be worth a try. Not sure what you mean by near by, but the West Hartford Res is probably a bit more moderate in terms of climbs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Parts of Penwoods are the Metacomet trail, so it will be very similar to what you have been riding. If your up for a 30 minute drive check out Robinson State Park in Agawam MA. Very fast, flowy, buff single track with not to much climbing. You will need a guide there to find all of the goods.

BTW - most of the Metacomet in CT is off limits to bikes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Mailloux View Post
    Parts of Penwoods are the Metacomet trail, so it will be very similar to what you have been riding. If your up for a 30 minute drive check out Robinson State Park in Agawam MA. Very fast, flowy, buff single track with not to much climbing. You will need a guide there to find all of the goods.

BTW - most of the Metacomet in CT is off limits to bikes.
    I was not aware and there are no signs posted anywhere. The areas I have been riding have obvious MTB use.

I have seen Robinson on the map, I may give that a try, thanks.
    conlysm

13' Intense Tracer 275

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by conlysm View Post
    I was not aware and there are no signs posted anywhere. The areas I have been riding have obvious MTB use.

I have seen Robinson on the map, I may give that a try, thanks.
    The entire Blue trail system in CT is technically off limits to bikes. However, land managers over seeing specific areas of trail can over ride that ruling. As far as I know everything from the MA border all the way to the West Hartford Rez of closed to bikes. That doesn't mean people obey the rules.

Robinson is a pretty fun place to ride, and very beginner friendly. The really sweet single track is a bit hard to find and navigate if your new to the stop. There is also a good amount of double track that is easy to find. The best place to start from is the Robinson School.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I went to Robinson this weekend, the weather was great, the trail conditions were good and the trails themselves were a little more what I was looking for. I parked at the Elementary School and you guys are right, definately need a guide but did find a lot of fun single track, some power line single track and some, not sure how you would classify it but switchback single track (that part was my favorite). I am definately going back to do some more exploring. I didn't even venture into the Northwest Side of the park (that I know of).
    conlysm

13' Intense Tracer 275

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Glad you enjoyed Robinson. There is a charity ride there this month (check the MA forum for details) with guided group rides. That would be a good way to learn those trails. I might also be able to give you a tour sometime.