mtbr member

Heading to Limerock Park for the weekend...

Is there anything close by I could ride with my wife? Think fire roads and buff single track with minimal elevation but nice scenery. Catching the races on Friday and Saturday but Sunday is open. Trying to decide whether to bring the bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    How far from the track can you venture? Going to be tough with the minimal elevation though.

mtbr member
    Sounds like that answers my question. We'll find something else to do. If there was something really close that wasn't a lung burner I'd bring the bikes...but then I'd be worried about them getting stolen the whole weekend so its probably best I leave them home.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Well I'd say within...mmmm.....30-35 minutes of the track there is one place that might be fine for your wife in Litchfield. No single track per say(well there is one illegal one) but a lot of easier dual track. Abit of climbing in a few sections. Over in Millerton,NY (about 15 minutes from the track) there is the rail trail....very scenic this time of year. Its a major yawn for me but about all my wife can ride these days. Plus it has some neat stuff for you wife to see...and a real cool tea house.
    Last edited by Little Faus; 09-25-2013 at 07:02 AM. Reason: n

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Lots of amazing hiking in the area. Some dirt roads if you know where to look. Parking at the High School and crossing the river at the light, you can follow the Housy down the east side (river left). Gravel and nice river grade. Maybe 2 miles at most to Cornwall Bridge, little restaurant, covered bridge, ride back. If you want to hike I know options that aren't the AT (which passes right behind the track).

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was going to suggest the rail trail too. As Faus said its a rail trail but can be scenic, Millerton ain't bad either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    >>miles at most to Cornwall Bridge<<

I once rode our group from the top of Mohawk mtn(parked the cars there)....and using all trails and some single track got us to the bottom of Bunker Hill Rd....never heard such language directed at me....LOL!

Yea down where the covered bridge is....the road on the right side that heads north was dirt if I remember right. Wonder if that's okay to ride on?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Not sure what you mean? But I've played around in Mohawk when I was around. The old AT (Mohawk Trail) goes to the Housatonic HS, though certainly not a biking trail good for running.

Anyway, yes River Road goes north from the Bridge. My suggestion to the OP was to park at Housatonic HS as thats right on the way to Limerock, not sure where he is/how familiar he is with the area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    >>The old AT (Mohawk Trail) goes to the Housatonic <<

Sorry....meant to say you reminded me of the time....when you mentioned the Cornwall. But we did Mohawk Mtn....off of RT4...at the top of Bunker Hill Rd. There used to be a lot of trails in there when biking first was big back in the early 1990's. Actually for a while the ski resort ran the lifts for us and we'd go up and then bike down other trails.

Okay River Road...now I know where you are. Just trying to think though on the covered bridge end.....there was a sign there...not sure if that said private road now. But I doubt anyone would complain about a few bikers.

mtbr member
    All I'm familiar with is Route 7. If there is a decent day hike in the area that would suffice. We'll be heading back to NH via the Mass Pike Sunday afternoon so anything along the way works too as long as there's plenty of parking (will have a trailer in tow).

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    If you go down RT7 to where it meets RT4 (about 10 minutes from the track)...on the right side of RT7 at the intersection....you'll see a parking area and some cars. That trail I believe goes up to the Appalachian trail. A lot of people hike around in there. Its been years since I've been in there....but its going to be abit hilly for hiking.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    There is the AT but I prefer to get off the beaten path. The AT use to cross the river at the intersection of 4 and 7 as described by Faus and cross back over at Housatonic High School.

This trail is now the Mohawk Trail. Either end offer more solitude and still lots of fun.
    From the HS go up Warren Turnpike and follow the blue blazes as they cross the railroad, then 7, then up to the overlook. Its short but steep. You could follow that back down to the road and loop out or come back on the trail.

The 4/7 end has a parking lot by Furnace Brook. Going up the steep road (forget the name) you finally come to the trail and continue up. This trail is seldom used and quite special. You'll be going through an area known as "Dudley Town", google it. You don't go through it but near. Great overlooks to Mohawk Mountain (see the ski runs). Again you'd have to travel back.

If not the AT there (Breadloaf Mountain) is great, can loop with Pine.