mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Hartford info needed

I'm going to be in Hartford for the weekend, coming in Thursday and need to know where I can rent a decent bike and go ride trails on Friday.
    Prefer a shop where I can ride to trails to free up the car for my lady to use.
    Anyone?
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I don't know of rentals available in CT, not a big mountain bike destination (although there is a lot of good riding around, much of it local knowledge stuff). You could check with Central Wheel in Farmington, which is a short hop from a popular riding area, the West Hartford Reservoir. Another alternative might be CTBIKESHARE, a Facebook group that might have some freebies they could loan you on a "pay it forward" basis. Transportation would be up to you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Thanks, I did have Central Wheel as a contact, called this morning and they do have something available (29") which should do the trick.
    Looks like a fairly comprehensive trail system in the Reservoir, and I imagine I'll see the out of the way trails when I get there.
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Excellent! You might luck out and find some riders that would be willing to show you around, although you'd have a better chance of that on Saturday or Sunday. Most riders follow a clockwise loop from the MDC parking area off Farmington Ave., going north along the chain link fence that borders the western side of the property and coming back to the parking along the east side. You can do that loop in 1.5 hours or so at a brisk pace, or turn it into a bigger ride by crossing north of Rt 44 to follow a tough out-and-back along the trap rock ridge.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    if you on a 29er go hit up some trails in the west hartford res. awesome spot and close to the bike shop

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Back from my weekend in Hartford, and just want to give a shout out for the blokes at Central Wheel
    I rode the reservoir trails on Friday on my own, and with a mate on Saturday. The shop was great, and I managed to find my way around the park pretty well, and really enjoyed it. Good climbs let me know my level of fitness and the rock gardens were a bit challenging. Loved the reward of downhills along the ridge and through the trees.
    Cheers
    Barry

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I rode there on saturday day as well with my buddy who knows all the trails well. the trails were very rocky but had a great time

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BarryGXNZ View Post
    Back from my weekend in Hartford, and just want to give a shout out for the blokes at Central Wheel
    I rode the reservoir trails on Friday on my own, and with a mate on Saturday. The shop was great, and I managed to find my way around the park pretty well, and really enjoyed it. Good climbs let me know my level of fitness and the rock gardens were a bit challenging. Loved the reward of downhills along the ridge and through the trees.
    Cheers
    Barry
    Good to hear. I would have been happy to show you around, but was out of town. If you get back this way sometime, post up here and/or the CT NEMBA Facebook page, maybe you can get a guided tour of another CT area.