mtbr member
    May 2014

First Time at Big River

I recently purchased a bike and decided to head to Big River for my maiden voyage. I have been on the RINEMBA and got a general feel for what the terrain was like. I parked off of exit 6 near a wooden message board. I found the trails in that area to be loaded with roots (and a few strange characters in the middle of the day). I was looking for advice on where I should go next? I was thinking the parking lot off of exit 7? I'm looking for smoother trails if they exist. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    BR, like any place in RI, will have its share of roots, rocks and other things. Exit 7 has more smoother trails since those get more use. The problem is most of the trails don't appear on maps - Lego, Run in/Run Out, Halloween, Hoover, etc.

Your best bet is to post a request on RINEMBA facebook for someone to show you around - there are a ton of folks that ride BR a lot, so depending on your level, there will be many people more than happy to show you around.

If you are a begininner, Saturday mornings there is a group ride as well.

Otherwise, come to Thursday Group Rides at exit 6 at 6pm, there are 3 group rides - relaxed, intermediate + and rip your legs off fast. Ask any of the people in your group or group leader if they can show you around.

There are literally hundreds of trails and especially on the Carr Pond/Cardi's areas, its a spagetti maze.

mtbr member
    You can't escape the strange characters anywhere in Big River, at any time of the day . Just does with the territory.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I've just started checking out the trails at exit 7 (I live a mile away), so far not many roots.
    2013 Trek Superfly 100 AL Elite
    "It's not us, it's the mud!" - foxhound.rank