Trail Tire TV on blogger

CT trails Map...

Making a Connecticut trails Maps with google Maps Something simple where people from other areas can quickly find a place to ride local to where ever they are going to be in the state. Working on links for info to the parks/forest still but it's getting there. Some have links out to trail maps already and hoping in the next week or so I'll have 90% of them linked to some sorta map at the very least.

CT NEMBA Trails - Google Maps

if something is missing or you have a good trail map that can be linked to a trail let me know and I'll add it in!

mtbr member
    You mean something like this, Trail Reviews

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    You mean something like this, Trail Reviews
    Didn't know that was there.. kinda cool... trying for something a little simpler but I may just link them both up!! sweet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Abandoned Tracks

Have you ever ridden on abandoned tracks in CT?

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by RailBiker View Post
    not often, most "mountain bikers" don't consider them as a trail and rather boring as it's more a flat straight road. I do like them and wish there one closer to me, nice for sitting and spinning. I was planning on marking the Airline trail and the one or 2 others in state But I think I'll mark with a slightly diff little avatar thing to make them obvious... thinking a little train instead of the biker..? or something like that. it's far from finished but it's a start!!

mtbr member
    Bikerag Map Thingy

^ this was my favorite when I lived in CT. I discovered some awesome stuff on that one ^

It was fun checking off new places. Adventurous
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    There are two major dirt rail trails in eastern CT, The Hop River and Airline trails. Both have relatively smooth finished sections that can be ridden with a cyclocrosser or road bike, and other stretches being worked on, with some access to mountain biking off them. Here's some CT information on them: ConnDOT: Map Index of Pathways through Connecticut.

There is also a meetup.com group, the Leisure Trail Riders Association (Leisure Trail Riders Association (Manchester, CT) - Meetup) that hosts a lot of rides on the Hop River and Airline trails.

mtbr member

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    yuppers, I really like Nate's map, but unless you have a GPS it's kinda useless.. and even with a GPS I still refer a paper map for trails with markings and info, and no download time on the trail.

The #1 thing everyone I've talked to who are looking to ride at a new trail...
    "is there a map?"

Interactive Maps are cool to look at, but useless when you want to know where your going out on the actual trail,.. reason I'm trying to get at least a basic trail map linked and am slowly making nice semi hi rez printable ones for trail systems that don't have a good one.
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys for those links! I was looking for maps like that.

None of those 3 have my local trails on there. Brodie Park up on West Hill Rd in New Hartford has a sweet trail loop. Pretty compact, but some great stuff in there, nice and technical at times.
    Google the park and check out the chunk of woods south of W Hill Rd, to the West of Niles Rd. The trail head is at the parking lot on Niles Rd next to the fields, or Park at Brodie in the gravel lot and cross the street to the intersection of W Hill and Niles, there's a trail head there with a map and the regulations.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Franklin P. Kearney Conservation Trail

Here you go, just a short loop but it's nice for lunch breaks and quick test rides if you're local. Some decent climbs and other challenging stuff. Map and description pdf file attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Richtacular View Post
    Here you go, just a short loop but it's nice for lunch breaks and quick test rides if you're local. Some decent climbs and other challenging stuff. Map and description pdf file attached.
    You mean I could have been MTB this winter instead of riding the freaking Railtrails while my kids were skiing this winter at Sundown? Dang! Couldn't ski this winter due to Knee Surgery but I could still ride.

Also been wondering about this place, saw a sign for it at Tonio's. Have to work it in the next time I am up that way.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I have ridden parts of the Shepaug RR in Newtown, Roxbury, and Washington but I would like to ride the whole thing sometime.

What other abandoned tracks have you ridden? I found an abandoned Trolley Bed that runs from Crystal Lake (north of Vernon) to Stafford Springs on a map that would be cool to ride.

Another cool one would be to ride from Canaan to Millerton, NY and then take the Rail Trail North, turn around, and go south towards Wassaic and then back.

mtbr member
    Larkin Bridal trail has some nice stuff ADJACENT whatever all that means, 18 years of riding it, new stuff(trails) pop up all the time.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"