mtbr member
    Feb 2005

CT NEMBA Monday RAW Rides

CT NEMBA is kicking off our Monday Ride After Work (RAW) series of mountain bike rides on April 2 at Gay City State Park. Depending on turnout, we're hoping to do the ride every Monday during the 2012 season. Start times will be pushed back as daylight permits.

These rides are intended for ambitious beginner riders who want to work on their skills, and intermediate riders looking for a recovery ride or who prefer an easier pace. You should have a real mountain bike (not hybrid) in good mechanical condition with knobby tires, and should be capable of riding for 1.5 hours on rolling terrain. Depending on turnout and ride leaders available, we may be able to split into groups to accomodate all skill levels, but no one will be left behind. Helmets and liability waiver are required for all NEMBA rides. NEMBA membership is not required to participate. Rain or wet conditions will cancel. Beer after the ride is optional

We're starting with the old standby Gay City, but I'd like to move the ride around to different locations in eastern and central CT this season: Case, West Hartford Res, River Highlands SP, Meshamosic State Forest, etc. I'm open to suggestions for other places as well. We'll post the upcoming location here and on the Leisure Trail Riders Association Meetup site.

eb5
    mtbr member
    Does NEMBA have any these (RAW) around the fairfield county area? I'm lucky to live 2 miles from the Trumbull trails, but would like to ride other trails around the area.

Delirious Tuck
    EB... Check out fcnemba.org, Fairfield County NEMBA will be hosting a Monday ride at Mianus, Wednesday at Wilton Woods, and Fridays at Huntington/Bennets/Wilton (rotating). There's also a women's ride at Trumbull Tuesdays ( I think sig others do their own separate ride).

We will start the rides in late April/early May once days are long enough, so you'll definitely have options to tour other local trails.

eb5
    mtbr member
    thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by eb5 View Post
    Does NEMBA have any these (RAW) around the fairfield county area? I'm lucky to live 2 miles from the Trumbull trails, but would like to ride other trails around the area.
    Fairfield County has its own NEMBA chapter now. Check their Facebook page under "FC NEMBA".

Iko
    mtbr member
    EB

I'm close to Trums as well and have been doing good at pulling myself away to visit other places. Hit me up and I can keep you in the loop for other rides.

Here from Niantic,CT
    Jan 2008
    What time will these rides be starting? Potentially coming from SECT to join, as I have never ridden most of the places listed and want to give myself enough time to get there. Thx

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HHahn View Post
    What time will these rides be starting? Potentially coming from SECT to join, as I have never ridden most of the places listed and want to give myself enough time to get there. Thx
    The April 2 ride will start at 5 PM, but we'll push the start time back as daylight permits. Check here for updates.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bde1024 View Post
    CT NEMBA is kicking off our Monday Ride After Work (RAW) series of mountain bike rides on April 2 at Gay City State Park. Depending on turnout, we're hoping to do the ride every Monday during the 2012 season. Start times will be pushed back as daylight permits.

These rides are intended for ambitious beginner riders who want to work on their skills, and intermediate riders looking for a recovery ride or who prefer an easier pace. You should have a real mountain bike (not hybrid) in good mechanical condition with knobby tires, and should be capable of riding for 1.5 hours on rolling terrain. Depending on turnout and ride leaders available, we may be able to split into groups to accomodate all skill levels, but no one will be left behind. Helmets and liability waiver are required for all NEMBA rides. NEMBA membership is not required to participate. Rain or wet conditions will cancel. Beer after the ride is optional

We're starting with the old standby Gay City, but I'd like to move the ride around to different locations in eastern and central CT this season: Case, West Hartford Res, River Highlands SP, Meshamosic State Forest, etc. I'm open to suggestions for other places as well. We'll post the upcoming location here and on the Leisure Trail Riders Association Meetup site.
    River Highlands has a lot of stuff down from the Hurricane and Blizzard last fall. It definitely could use some TM before a group ride goes down in there. Also, not sure you can spend 1.5 hours riding there, its pretty small.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    River Highlands has a lot of stuff down from the Hurricane and Blizzard last fall. It definitely could use some TM before a group ride goes down in there. Also, not sure you can spend 1.5 hours riding there, its pretty small.
    A couple of our CT NEMBA board members ride there on occasion, and have already done some cleanup. We are working on scheduling a TM session there, possibly with REI, so stay tuned for that. It isn't the biggest riding area around, but has some fun riding and should work well for this Monday RAW ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bde1024 View Post
    A couple of our CT NEMBA board members ride there on occasion, and have already done some cleanup. We are working on scheduling a TM session there, possibly with REI, so stay tuned for that. It isn't the biggest riding area around, but has some fun riding and should work well for this Monday RAW ride.
    Gotcha. I did a trail run there 2 weeks ago, and there was still a lot of stuff down. Just didn't want you jumping in with both feet for something that isn't quite ready.

mtbr member
    I think a ride and saw outing is in order.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    I think a ride and saw outing is in order.
    Or come out May 6th to River Highlands and help clean up what is yet to be done. CT NEMBA is planning a clean up for River Highlands (aka The Blow Hole) with REI of West Hartford.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

CT NEMBA RAW Mountain Bike Ride

No Monday ride on 4/9; the RAW ride will be at Wadsworth Falls State Park on Rt 157 in Middlefield on Wednesday 4/11 at 5:30, prior to the CT NEMBA monthly board meeting. Park in the main parking area near the pond. NEMBA members are welcome to join us at the board meeting after the ride for some beverages, pizza, and discussion.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    The Blow Hole (AKA River Highlands) is cleaned up and rideable again, except for the yellow trail, where there are still some trees down.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!