mtbr member
    Nov 2009

cranbury park, norwalk

so a guy i work with is an avid biker, mountain and road riding. he wants to hit up cranbury park after work one day because he has a sweet loop he wants to show me. i'd like to check the place out by myself first since i've never heard of it. it's on my way home anyway. has anybody ridden there or have any input? looks like there's a mansion and all sorts of kiddie business going ons there.

mtbr member
    Make sure you post your impressions. I've been to Cranbury for other things but never biking. Doesn't look like there is much there.

Bradley Park is not that far away from Cranbury and it's not bad for a small place.
    He who dares....wins!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    i sure will. this is from their website:

"Cranbury Park offers 190 acres of public parkland, including open fields and woodland groves. The park also includes a pavilion, a playground, an outdoor restroom, an 18-hole Frisbee Golf Course, and a sculpture garden. There are 125 acres of woodland trails within the park's expanse."

i guess 125 acres is a decent amount for an afternoon go after work. it could also be a small amount if there are dog walkers and hikers though.

i'll have to try bradley park as well one day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I used to ride there, but then as my skills got better realized there is nothing there, plus you have to contend with the dog walkers, dog poop and disc golfers (I am one of them)....It is better to go across the street at an unknown other parcel of land (right across from the main gate entrance the is an old water tower thingy and the trail is right there...when you come in it goes down hill and then to the right and you can do a small loop to the left or go straight and you end up at a schools field....it is small but no one is on that side....also check your tires when you are done, there is a lot of dog crap on the ground....

I would recommend driving the extra 10 minutes and hit up Wilton Town forest, much better riding and 7 miles of sweet trails...plenty of drops, log rides, ridge rides, etc....check out FCNEMBA.org for trail maps....the red trail in the middle of the park is pure sweetness...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    thanks for the input dfrancefort, not sure i want to contend with the other activities. i may check the trail across the street. i've been to wilton woods a couple times since it's also on the way back home (danbury).

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    There is also Bradley park, right by Orems Diner on RT7; when going north, take a left at the light just past Orem's and at the next light stay stratight and go up the up hill, at the top take a right onto Oak Ledge, go to end and there are 3-4 miles of pretty decent trails and you most likely will never see anyone else on the trails

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    sounds good, bradley park seems to be a popular choice

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have a proposal in the Conservation COmmission for some more trails in that park which will add some additional riding loops; awaiting approval.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrancefort View Post
    I have a proposal in the Conservation COmmission for some more trails in that park which will add some additional riding loops; awaiting approval.
    bradley or cranbury? either way, good work.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dfrancefort View Post
    There used to be a huge race every spring and fall at Cranbury Park. I believe the largest one day event in NORBA history was held there. Anyway, I think the place has potential to be a cool local riding area, it just needs TLC. I'd like to see FC NEMBA go in and resurrect the trails, establish a loop or two, maybe build a pump track for the kids. As far as riding there now, I don't know. I haven't been there in years. I suspect a spaghetti netork of trails, most of them in pretty bad shape with lots of erosion and mud. .
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Sugar View Post
    I'd like to see FC NEMBA go in and resurrect the trails, establish a loop or two, maybe build a pump track for the kids. As far as riding there now, I don't know. I haven't been there in years. I suspect a spaghetti netork of trails, most of them in pretty bad shape with lots of erosion and mud. .
    You hit it on the nose. Working with FCNemba, I can tell you that for every man hour on that goes in to putting a trail on the ground, there are multiples of that behind the scenes working with land managers, flagging it out, walking, and rewalking, checking drainage in all conditions, etc. Cranbury is a tough area- it's small, and already heavily used by a non- mountain bike population. Within a 20 minute drive, you can be at Trumbull, Mianus, Wilton Woods, Bradley, Bennett's Pond, Twin Brooks Park, Aspetuck, and Huntington- all of which are much bigger, better suited for riding, and we currently are working on.

Love the pump track idea though...
    I call for a mandate to allow only road bikes on trails to limit our speeds and increase our line picking skills-FB

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    There used to be a huge race every spring and fall at Cranbury Park. I believe the largest one day event in NORBA history was held there. Anyway, I think the place has potential to be a cool local riding area, it just needs TLC. I'd like to see FC NEMBA go in and resurrect the trails, establish a loop or two, maybe build a pump track for the kids. As far as riding there now, I don't know. I haven't been there in years. I suspect a spaghetti netork of trails, most of them in pretty bad shape with lots of erosion and mud. .
    i stoped in at cranbury after work yesterday, around 6ish. the visitors building was out of maps so i freestyled it i guess. it was actually pretty decent, not too many climbs or long decents. the trails were packed down fairly good, except for the main fire road, and not as rocky or rooty like other areas nearby. the more techy trails could have the branches cut back some, and i found barely any markers for where i was going, unless it is all one big blue spaghetti trail. there weren't many people out yesterday, probably because of the recent weather. only a couple frisbee golf players and a handful of dog walkers (none on their leashes by the way). overall, it was a nice chill ride, just wish i knew where i was going, rather than having to guess at a couple dozen intersections. i'll be back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I envision more of a flowy, family freindly trail, something that could bring families into the sport, and something for the local cubicle slaves to ride during their lunch hour. The park is well suited for that due to its gentle grades. I think if you pitched it to the town this way, they'd have a hard time saying no.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I envision more of a flowy, family freindly trail, something that could bring families into the sport, and something for the local cubicle slaves to ride during their lunch hour. The park is well suited for that due to its gentle grades. I think if you pitched it to the town this way, they'd have a hard time saying no.
    it could definitely be that. i stopped by again today after work and hit the trails across the street. they were even easier and definitely have their share of horses from what i saw. there could easily be something for families, beginners, and lunch braekers. now if only someone familiar with cranbury could mark the trails for some fun loops and easier navigation.

mtbr member

Cranbury

I live within a mile. There are mre trails in there than you think and some technical sections ... The problem is it lacks flow, not to mention the heavy usage from non cyclists. Ten years ago it was a hot spot and held the popular jackrabbit run race twice a year. The place needs a bunch of TLC but all the love has gone into the disc golf course ( which is dope). Local trail builders have placed efforts elsewhere and for good reason but Cranbury isn't terrible and has potential should it ever get some attention.

I'd be willing to show anyone around as I can get a close to four mile decent loop in there
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by []D[][]v[][]D View Post
    I live within a mile. There are mre trails in there than you think and some technical sections ... The problem is it lacks flow, not to mention the heavy usage from non cyclists. Ten years ago it was a hot spot and held the popular jackrabbit run race twice a year. The place needs a bunch of TLC but all the love has gone into the disc golf course ( which is dope). Local trail builders have placed efforts elsewhere and for good reason but Cranbury isn't terrible and has potential should it ever get some attention.

I'd be willing to show anyone around as I can get a close to four mile decent loop in there
    You sound like the perfect person to give it that attention. You're close by, you know the trails, and you live in town. Join FC NEMBA and they'll help you out with money, expertise, and labor. Local shops would probably be willing to help out as well. You could turn it into a local hot spot, take pressure off Mianus.

mtbr member
    take pressure off mianus?
    Last edited by calvinator; 05-25-2012 at 04:24 PM.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I have tried to reach out to the group that manages the park, but I already manage 2 parks and cannot do this, if anyone wants to help I have a contact person, just email me at dfrancefort@gmail.com

mtbr member
    Wow . Never heard of Cranbury park, but it sounds worth checking out .
    Last edited by SpecializedWindsor; 07-21-2012 at 01:26 AM.