mtbr member

Bluff Point Conditions?

Does anyone have an update on conditions at Bluff Point? Is it rideable? According to the snow depth chart on NOAA it looks like there's very little snow.

mtbr member
    I would also like to know. I have a bunch of days coming up where im available to ride, and im thinking bluff is the only option less than an hour away..

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    I live just a few miles away, haven't actually been to bluff but here at home I still about a ft of snow.. but it's pretty much frozen solid. I can walk on top without falling thru the crust, but don't know if I can ride on top. going to try my mailbox trail this afternoon.

Rocky Neck is another option and much easier to get to, if a good bit smaller. But there is a guy who usually drags a flat sled loaded with kids and/or bricks on the trails to pack them down. LOTs of hiking/X-ski/dogs on them but is usually ridable (and kinda fun if you like the tech of it like that) again, haven't been since the storm sooo..?
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I took a quick walk out from the main parking lot today. DEEP did a good job clearing the access road and most of the upper parking lot. The trails however are in rough shape. You might be able to ride the fire roads, a mix of ice, packed frozen snow and slush all mottled with hundreds of footprints. Expect a lot of chatter. The lower singletrack by the outhouses and to the left of the beach road don't look passable. I don't know about the upper singletrack, didn't get that far but it would be a good workout just riding the fire trails.

mtbr member
    Steve's description of the conditions is spot on. My wife and I rode there yesterday and managed to get in about 7 miles of fire roads within Bluff and Haley Farm. None of the single rack is rideable. The fire road that connects both areas running along the train tracks is passable but VERY bumpy. All in all, it was nice to get out on the mountain bikes but we would have gotten in a much better ride on the road.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Bluff Point Conditions?-bluff.jpg  

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    Wow, that actually looks better than I thought,.. might try and beat the rain and get a quick loop in just for fun
    Going to try and bring Trail Tire TV back. go take a look... http://trailtiretv.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thomllama View Post
    Wow, that actually looks better than I thought,.. might try and beat the rain and get a quick loop in just for fun
    Do it! It's all good except for the fire road along the train tracks. Haley Farm is riding quite well though so it's worth it.

Trail Tire TV on blogger
    umm ya.. welll I rode there... sorta LOL probably was better yesterday as it was more frozen.. today is was more like snow cone slushies

here's the write up wit ha few pics... did some vid-ing also but not sure it's any good as it was WAY to chattery.

New England Mountain Bike Association, CT Chapter: Bluff Point State Park