mtbr member

The Blue "foot only" Trails, do you usually ride them?

I've ridden a lot of trails throughout Connecticut, and most maps indicate that the Blue Trails are "foot only". I'd say that 50% of the Blue Trails are hike-a-bike and the other 50% is some pretty good single track. But that 50% of hike-a-bike is often unbearable. If you guys aren't familiar with a trail, do you often attempt to ride the Blue Trails or do you avoid them all together until you get some info on them?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    avoid them

Loser
    In my experience its a mixed bag, some blue trails are heavily ridden (i.e Case, Snip) and no one cares, others are strictly off limits. You really have to know how its handled locally. Best to avoid them if you aren't sure.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    In my experience its a mixed bag, some blue trails are heavily ridden (i.e Case, Snip) and no one cares, others are strictly off limits. You really have to know how its handled locally. Best to avoid them if you aren't sure.
    This.

That said, some of the "hike a bike" ones offer fabulous technical riding.

All depends on the local area though, for sure.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    I usually ride them too. After I get more than 100' from the trialhead I realize why, they're empty and otherwise unutilized. I'm sure this varies by site but 4 offhand I've ridden to excess: Cockaponsett, Nipmuck, Westwoods (from Dunk Rock) and Chatfield Trail are like this....someone might as well enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuense View Post
    I usually ride them too. After I get more than 100' from the trialhead I realize why, they're empty and otherwise unutilized. I'm sure this varies by site but 4 offhand I've ridden to excess: Cockaponsett, Nipmuck, Westwoods (from Dunk Rock) and Chatfield Trail are like this....someone might as well enjoy them.
    I agree, been to approximately 40 trails in CT and ridden most of the blues. But maybe I'll save them for the end as not to spend too much energy on them initially.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There are two places where the blue trails are open to bikes- the MDC Reservoir in West Hartford and the Middlesex trails in Middletown.
    I am not repeating myself I am not repeating myself!

Loser
    Case Mountain in Manchester has a blue that appears to be WIDE open to bikes.

mtbr member
    What's the worst that can happen if you ride "foot only" trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Downward_Spiral View Post
    What's the worst that can happen if you ride "foot only" trails?
    I can envision a hiker getting mad but that has never been the case. Whenever I see a hiker on the trail, I stop to let them pass or if they move aside I move past them very cautiously. I hit another blue trail the other day, worth the challenge usually. Like you suggested, worst case scenario is you turn around and go back but I usually hike the bike all the way through to complete the trail (i.e. Lettherman's cave route).

mtbr member
    me and a friend were walking our bikes up a hill at american legion when we ran across a ranger type person with a few people with cameras, when the fellow with the green hat told us "no bike riding on the blue trails". One of the guys with a camera said"yeah, but they're walkin!" Ranger rick didnt find that too funny.
    "Hillbilly in a corporate world"

mtbr member
    that said, the orange trail downhill in Peoples state forest is probably one of the sweetest singletrack rides around.

drunk & disorderly
    I think in CT with all the blue blazed trails it's a, don't ask don't tell policy!

Loser
    I've met rangers who saw us coming out on a blue trail, the only thing he said was "how's the riding?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I visit the dep site before going to a new place. They will usually have notes on the park.

Loser
    One thing is for sure - we need to watch this to some degree - I hate to play second fiddle to the hikers (hey I'm a hiker too), but if the rule is no bikes on blue, so be it. I just would hate for our fine state to become a battle ground like some out west have become.

thread killer
    Quote Originally Posted by calvinator View Post
    that said, the orange trail downhill in Peoples state forest is probably one of the sweetest singletrack rides around.
    So?

Is People's Forest open to bikes?You know the trails that aren't blue.

I've always wanted to go there.
    next time

[QUOTE=spazzy] Might as well sell your bikes, E-riding is much more productive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    One thing is for sure - we need to watch this to some degree - I hate to play second fiddle to the hikers (hey I'm a hiker too), but if the rule is no bikes on blue, so be it. I just would hate for our fine state to become a battle ground like some out west have become.
    Watch for sure. Know where we're riding and always go out of our way to accomodate hiekrs on these trails. I'm sure the majority of us do that anyways.

But to be honest, I hardly ever see anyone using these trails, and when I do it's always non confrontational; someone walking their dog, running, taking hteir kids for a hike. I really don't think anyone knows or even cares. Heck, I've been riding Cockap[onsett almost every weeknight this summer (hundreds of miles) and can count on one hand the number of non riders I've seen outside of the of the swim areas. It's land that might as well be used by someone.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by Managuense View Post
    Watch for sure. Know where we're riding and always go out of our way to accomodate hiekrs on these trails. I'm sure the majority of us do that anyways.

But to be honest, I hardly ever see anyone using these trails, and when I do it's always non confrontational; someone walking their dog, running, taking hteir kids for a hike. I really don't think anyone knows or even cares. Heck, I've been riding Cockap[onsett almost every weeknight this summer (hundreds of miles) and can count on one hand the number of non riders I've seen outside of the of the swim areas. It's land that might as well be used by someone.
    Absolutely true. I have had hundreds, if not thousands of positive interactions with hikers, perhaps 2 or 3 bad ones - and only one of those (at Cockaponset about 10 years ago) was what I would call confrontational.

The most common comment I hear is "you ride a bike here?"

mtbr member
    May 2012
    One thing to be aware of - there are 2 types of "Blue Trails" in CT: Metacomet, and local blue.

The Metacomet is always marked blue and will follow the ridge from the shore all the way through Central CT and into MA. The Metacomet is typically marked for hikers only; however.... bikes are definitely allowed in some parts (such as West Hartford Rez) as Blue Sugar mentioned previously. Since the Metacomet continuously follows the ridge, this terrain tends to be very steep and rocky in many areas. I just rode part of the Metacomet in Penwood last week and some of that trail is even hard to walk the bike!

Now if you see a blue trail that is not the Metacomet....I would recommend researching beforehand just to make sure there are no restrictions, but you'll probably be fine as long as biking is allowed in that area.

Happy riding!

-Jocko

mtbr member
    Im almost sure you wont get a ticket or action taken against you if found riding a blue. If there are a bunch of hikers on it or it is a high profile blue-dot trail, maybe try somewhere else. Most people are friendly if you approach them with a smile and the first to say "beautiful day to be out".

mtbr member
    I've ridden some of the local blue trails without incident but only during bone dry weather to minimize any evidence of my passing. Never had a problem with hikers on them but the one time I was one a multi-use trail letting 2 hikers pass on a narrow section (pulled off to the side as soon as I saw them and respectfully waited for them to go by) i got a rather snide and rude comment that "bikers shouldn't be allowed in the woods"...
    Alea Jacta Est

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Typically, state forests the blue is off limits for biking at other locations just follow local biking rules...