mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Big River noob...where to start?

So I just moved to RI for a while (Navy move), and now that we're settled in, I finally have a chance to get back on my rig and start riding again. I think I might head up to Big River this weekend (Sunday likely). Any suggestions on where to start, what trails I should hit first, etc.? It's worth noting that, due to thesis work followed by the long move from the west coast, I haven't even done ANY riding in over 5 months, so needless to say, I'm a bit out of riding shape.
    Thanks in advance!

Rez
    mtbr member
    I am riding arcadia tomorrow and your welcome to come
    What goes up must come down

mtbr member
    Get a map at RI NEMBA. The best bet is to park on the Old Sawmill Road (Route 3/95) and head in that way. This place has a maze of trails and the map only has about 70% of the trails, but it is a good reference point. If you can make it, every Thursday there are group rides with abilities from hammerhead to relaxed that you are welcome to join. The hammerheads go off at 4:30 and 6:00 and the relaxed goes off at 6pm. It took me about a full year to get comfortable with BR, so don't feel overwhelmed by the size of it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Good info on the group rides, habsfan, thanks for that. I'm ashamed at how out of shape I've become during my recent 5-month mtb hiatus, both in terms of physical conditioning AND riding-skill-wise, so I'll likely start out with the relaxed group. Where does the group meet?

Rez
    mtbr member
    They meet at the top of Old Sawmill Road (Route 3/95).

Also have them trough you on the big river email list
    What goes up must come down

mtbr member
    In addition to Rez, ask for Alan to fill out a waiver and ask for Wayne Asselin for the relaxed ride - he is usually the group leader for that. Those rides last about 90 or so minutes, with plenty of rest stops. No one is ever left behind, so don't worry about being out of shape.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    They meet at the top of Old Sawmill Road (Route 3/95).

Also have them trough you on the big river email list
    Forgive my ignorance, as I'm new to the area, but I can't find "Old Sawmill Road" on the map. I'm looking at both the maps available on the NEMBA site and on Google maps. Are you referring to "Burnt Sawmill Road"? I found this on the Blackstone Bicycle site:
    The Thursday night Big River ride has now moved to exit 6 (Burnt Sawmill Rd.) and starts at 6:00 these days, just a friendly reminder.
    Is this the one y'all are referring to?
    Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Yep, that's the same. So if you're going from 95S (from Providence), take the exit and go left at the top. That is Route 3. Go about 1/4 mile and you'll see a parking area on the left. There will be tons of cars, so you can't miss it.

If you're coming from 95N (Richmond/South County), take the exit and bear right at the top and you'll be looking at the parking area.