Thread: Beach pond RI

drunk & disorderly

Beach pond RI

I've been wanting to try out the trails up at beach pond, green falls, yawgoog area. How are they? Where is the best place to park? Any info appreciated.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I believe Yawgoog is off limits being that its property of the Boy Scouts. As for the other 2 I'm not too sure

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I would stay away from those trails and head further down the road to Arcadia. Or a little further is big river. Much better trails

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy36 View Post
    I would stay away from those trails and head further down the road to Arcadia. Or a little further is big river. Much better trails
    While I love the other areas of Arcadia and Big River (Been riding them for nearly a decade) I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit. Cycle69: In my opinion, some of the best riding in state can be had in the Beach Pond, Yawgoog, Green Falls (Pachaug) area. You just have to know where to look.....Deep pond trail, Yellow dot, Tippecansett, Narragansett, hidden lake; some incredible stuff. To enjoy it to the fullest you have to put yourself in "adventure mode" because you won't come across the nicely manicured trails some other places have to offer. Gnarly rock gardens, rollers, ridges, a little hike-a-bike here and there. At any of the local bike shops you should be able to find a map of Arcadia and Pachaug published by the Green swamp press (you may want to call to be sure), I got mine at casters....by far the best maps of both areas. If you do some research online you can also find some maps of the yawgoog trails. PM me for more details.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Beach pond RI-img_4765.jpg  

Beach pond RI-img_4793.jpg  

Beach pond RI-img_4770.jpg  

Beach pond RI-img_4790.jpg  

Beach pond RI-picture-784.jpg  

drunk & disorderly
    Cycle69: In my opinion, some of the best riding in state can be had in the Beach Pond, Yawgoog, Green Falls (Pachaug) area. You just have to know where to look

I figured, looks sweet. After moving out this way from central ct 2 years ago I have mostly ridden se ct trails. I tried escoheag hill rd ( ledges) an thought it was good. Went fishing at pachaug an beach pond 2weeksago an was checking it out an was thinking there had to be good stuff in there. Rocky gnarly rooty trails is right up my alley ! I'm always up for an adventure ! So is the yawgoog area legit or are u not supposed to ride in that area?

mtbr member
    I've been riding there for years with no problems at all. Same with the group of cyclists I know who ride there often. Once you head into Yawgoog land there are signs on the trees that say it's private property of the boy scouts of america but hikers are welcome to use the land. It doesn't specify no bikes. The only time I'd stay away is during peak camping season June/July/August when the trails will be packed with scouts (at least the trails closest the campground). Check out the Arcadia trail reviews section on Bikerag.com....lot's of pics of the area and a map posted in the photos section.

If you haven't checked out the other parts of Arcadia farther east down 165 you should check that out too...40+ miles of sweet singletrack. GPS tracks of the area can be found at RI NEMBA Arcadia Management Area Some of the beach pond stuff is on there too.
    Last edited by JSumner13; 09-20-2012 at 05:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Where abouts were those pictures taken, looks like fun

mtbr member
    Crash: Those pics were a mixture of Beach Pond and Yawgoog.

mtbr member
    Wow, look like fun ... going to have to try and figure those out sometime

mtbr member
    I used to pass by Beach Pond all the time on the way to Arcadia. Where is a good trailhead at Beach Pond to start from?

As for the Boy Scouts, well I'm not allowed to be within 100 yds of an active troop so I'll skip that one.
    Audi & VW Service
    http://fourwardmotors.com/

mtbr member
    The trail head is at the beach pond parking lot on the south side of 165 (near the bridge). You can park on either side of 165 though.

Rez
    mtbr member
    As for the Boy Scouts, well I'm not allowed to be within 100 yds of an active troop so I'll skip that one.

Sounds like you spent a little too much time as an alter boy
    What goes up must come down

Rez
    mtbr member
    chevcp,

Does your shop do any tuning on the diesel Audi's?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JSumner13 View Post
    The trail head is at the beach pond parking lot on the south side of 165 (near the bridge). You can park on either side of 165 though.
    Ok thanks, I will try it next time I am out that way.
    Audi & VW Service

mtbr member
    Hey Rez

Just regular maintenance on the diesels so far and no one has asked about upgrades. Do you have one?
    Audi & VW Service

mtbr member
    Be careful as Shotgun deer hunting runs most of December. Wear your orange and use common sense when riding. Awesome trails all over this area as mentioned above.

Rez
    mtbr member
    The wife has an A3 TDI and i was thinking of running a re-map.

i have been into diesels for some time as i had a few Cummings motors in my pickups which is was able to tune to massive hp numbers. One of them I was able to get to get 500 hp + (at the wheels) out of it for low money.

i see there are alot of re-programs in europe and thought of trying one of them.

If your ever in Arcadia drop me a line as we live off the trial head near the old Indian school on summit rd

Rez
    mtbr member
    What upgardes do you have on the A3 2.0t as my buddy is not happy with the power and drivetrain (split between front and rear) on his. He came off of a STi and feels that the Audi is **** with regards to preformance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    The wife has an A3 TDI and i was thinking of running a re-map.

i have been into diesels for some time as i had a few Cummings motors in my pickups which is was able to tune to massive hp numbers. One of them I was able to get to get 500 hp + (at the wheels) out of it for low money.

i see there are alot of re-programs in europe and thought of trying one of them.

If your ever in Arcadia drop me a line as we live off the trial head near the old Indian school on summit rd
    Wait a sec....are you the house w/ the bicycle mailbox?! If so, my wife and I ride by that all the time and comment on how awesome it is!

mtbr member
    Sweet! I want a bicycle mailbox. What does that even look like?

Thats cool you have an A3. I was really impressed with them when they first came out and have always like hatches. I think the APR tune is on sale right now for the TDI. I'm not a dealer for APR but I think there is a place in Providence that is. I'm sure some of the Euro companies may have more experience with the diesels though.

Def would love to get down there soon to ride. What days/times do you usually get out there?
    Audi & VW Service

Rez
    mtbr member
    Yes that is my house. We got the piece off of Etsy

Next time you ride by stop and introduce yourself.

I am usually around the yard in the mornings as i usually ride in the afternoons. For some reason i can never motivate to get on the bike. As you see I have a long commute to the trial head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rez View Post
    What upgardes do you have on the A3 2.0t as my buddy is not happy with the power and drivetrain (split between front and rear) on his. He came off of a STi and feels that the Audi is **** with regards to preformance.
    Def down on power when compared to the STI, but plenty of aftermarket support for the
    2.0T depending on what year it is. There are tunes for both the ECM and DSG transmission, turbo upgrades, all the usual bolt ons like intake and exhaust.

He is right that the car does bias most of the power towards the front during normal driving. His car has a Haldex all wheel drive controller that can be swapped with an upgraded unit to send more power to the rear of the car.
    HPA Motorsports Inc. Drivetrain
    Audi & VW Service

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Are the trails around beach pond well marked? I am planning on riding in the area on Friday but I'm not familiar with it. What should I check out? I'll be riding with a friend that hasn't been on the bike much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Hey, don't discount riding in the driveway with the kids as no riding.

Quote Originally Posted by charmon2 View Post
    Are the trails around beach pond well marked? I am planning on riding in the area on Friday but I'm not familiar with it. What should I check out? I'll be riding with a friend that hasn't been on the bike much.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jester156 View Post
    Hey, don't discount riding in the driveway with the kids as no riding.
    My bad. I forgot about those adventures