mtbr member

Anyone in or around Newport RI?

I've been getting back into cycling this summer and riding around the island alot. None of my friends cycle, so I always go alone.

Any other islanders on here? Also hoping to hit the trails this fall, so I'm hoping tofind a group to ride with.

Just a flesh wound

Weetamoo

I have ridden Weetamoo Woods at Tiverton 4 Corners a few times. Close to you with some technical stuff and pretty good if you explore. I ride there when I visit family in Westport.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I rode Weetamoo last week. It was pretty good, I'll probably head back some time during the week since it's on my way home from work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Where is Weetamoo Woods?

mtbr member
    There's not much out there on the island but your best bet is to get an e-zpass(if you don't have one already) and hit up Burlingame, Arcadia and Big River. If you're on the Facebook join the RI NEMBA page there's a few group rides that go on during the week.

Just a flesh wound
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxking45 View Post
    Where is Weetamoo Woods?
    It is very close to Tiverton 4 Corners. I usually go in on East Rd. which is 179. The park is bordered by 179, 77 and 177. You can also enter on Lafayette Rd. There is parking on East Rd. and on Lafayette.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan View Post
    There's not much out there on the island but your best bet is to get an e-zpass(if you don't have one already) and hit up Burlingame, Arcadia and Big River. If you're on the Facebook join the RI NEMBA page there's a few group rides that go on during the week.
    Yeah, I have an ezpass. I've been wanting to check out Big River, hopefully I can make it over there soon. Last few weeks I've ridden Copicut Woods in Westport. We've been doing some maint out there, trying to get the trails back in shape.

Just a flesh wound
    Where is Copicut Woods? I will post up next time I visit the area to ride with you guys. My wife's family has a summer place in Westport. I usually ride Weetamoo. Tried Freetown but decided once was enough. It seemed more suited to the motorized croud.

mtbr member
    Copicut Woods is in Westport off of Indian Town Road. If you google it, there's a website with directions and info. I rode it last week for the first time with a forum member I met in the MA board, and we went out there with 2 more guys yesterday. We were able to get alot of pruning done, and also got ride of at least a dozen large blowdowns, and all told we got about 5 miles of trails in pretty nice rideable condition. It's also much larger than Weetamoo, so you can do longer rides there w/out it getting boring.

Check the thread I posted about Freetown in the MA forum, there's a discussion about it going on in there.

As far as Freetown, I used to ride just about exclusively there about 10 years ago. From what I hear, it's in bad shape lately, lots of blowdowns and very overgrown. Next week instead of Copicut woods we're going to ride Freetown to assess the condition and see what kind of maint we can do.

Freetown can be tough, alot of the trails there are very technical, and the motos have done a lot of damage to them. But there are miles and miles of trails out there, some not so technical. I always liked the variety out there, you could go there week after week and not have to do the same ride every time.

Freetown Forest actually abuts Copicut Woods, so together they make a very large trails system. I'm looking forward to getting in there this fall and cleaning those trails up. Hopefully as we clean them, word will get out, and more people will want to help, and also more people will get out there and ride, thus keeping the trails in good shape.

Be sure to let me know when you're in the area, we can try to get a ride together.

mtbr member
    Yep, what stuntman said.

Technically its all called the southeast MA bioreserve and its a bunch of different conservation land that has been lumped together. We've been riding from Copicut woods north into the Copicut Hill area.

The Bioreserve is 13000 acres and there is a new map. The map is very good and shows all the trails, but the intersection markers are not up yet, so its still kind of useless once you're out there. Also the map is not yet available online. The only place I know where to get it is at the Freetown Ranger Station.

Anyway we've been doing some trailwork and hoping to get at least one network of trails buffed out. The "loop" (its not really a loop, but more like an elongated pretzel) has about 9-12 miles of trails and ranges from the Copicut woods parking lot north to the first hunters lot on copicut road, east to copicut reservoir and west over to Bell Rock road.

These trails are very remote feeling and are off limits to moto's, which explains why they are overgrown. So we plan on cleaning them up and hopefully they get marked. If not I'm considering making my own temporary signage so that we can spread the word and get some tires on these trails. They aren't as hilly as the state forest trails, but they have a nice mix of gentle elevation change and old school technical. Don't expect any bridges or stunts, these are definitely old school trails. Gotta ride right thru the streams.

I think these trails would be to your liking if you like Weetamoo.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Just a flesh wound
    Cool. Wompatuck is my home turf. I ride Weetamoo when visiting the relatives in Westport. The stuff you are doing sounds like it's worth a trip. I am on the mend right now, 3 broken ribs and 3 fractured Transverse Process bones (fins on vertebrae) but I should be good in 10 weeks. Sounds like a place where the snow stays north, so good for winter!

I don't know if you remember, but we were going to ride Weetamoo, but something came up and you had to bail, but that was over a year ago. Got my Prophet 650b'd and I see you are on a 650b as well. Good stuff!

I'll post up when I am ready to roll. Keep up the good work!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecreamjay View Post
    They aren't as hilly as the state forest trails, but they have a nice mix of gentle elevation change and old school technical. Don't expect any bridges or stunts, these are definitely old school trails. Gotta ride right thru the streams.

I think these trails would be to your liking if you like Weetamoo.
    I like the old school stuff, that's where it's at! Bridges are kinda cool, but at the same time I'm wierded out by them.

mtbr member
    Heal up Julio, I remember trying to get out to Weetamoo. I've still been riding there now and again. Its fun stuff.

We should definitely hit the Copicut trails once you're healed up.
    NEMBA Freetown VP

Just a flesh wound

I'm healing

Everyday gets me day closer! Though I sneezed today and that was an excruciatingly painful experience. Mercifully short lived, but I heard Black Sabbath playing backwards in my head.

Can't wait to see your handy work. I was zooming in on the area with my Motion X GPS and there are a bunch of trails on the app. It will be cool to compare to the new map.