mtbr member
    May 2012

Are any places in CT dry enough to ride?

I'm up in Hartford County and seems like most trails either still have some lingering snow cover, or they have melted but are messy and not ready to be ridden.

Anywhere close that actually has some dry trails, maybe down on the shore? I saw from another post that Bluff Point is NOT GOOD to ride right now. It's been a rough winter - honestly I would be happy riding fire roads right now.

Hic-A-Doo-La!
    Burlingame in RI, if it isn't too far for you, is riding very well right now. Just a little soft in the usual spots. Some rain tonight but by the weekend it'll be good again. Haven't heard about anywhere else. Most park at the beach lot off prosser trail drive, then go down the dirt road and pick up the trail on your right, follow the yellow markers. It cuts thru the campground. Maps of it are easy to find online.
    Last edited by Cobretti; 03-20-2014 at 06:57 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I've hiked Burlingame a while ago, I remember it being about a 7 mile singletrack loop. Maybe I'll check it out this weekend. Where is the best place to park?

Loser
    Middlesex was pretty darn good yesterday, the single track was about 95% firm and dry, some mud on the doubletrack and powerlines.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for the info John! I rode Middlesex last year but still need to do a lot more exploring there. I ended up going down to Burlingame on Saturday with a few buddies. Conditions were excellent and those were some pretty fun trails. Let's hope we don't get any snow tonight!

Loser
    Middlesex is a maze that's for sure, it took me a long time to figure out the trails - it seems like every trail out there is marked either yellow/blue or blue and I'm not sure they all connect?

Definitely one of the best natural trail systems in the state, the variety of terrain out there is pretty amazing. Yeah Millers, Hale and Rockland are probably better mountain bike specific trails, but riding Middlesex always puts a smile on my face, just bring your climbing legs.

Oh and I heard Hale was good when frozen, but needs some warm, dry weather before its rideable when not frozen, respect the builders who put in so much time making the trails out there!
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog