mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Advice Needed (On Wind)

I am new to the forums and have made a few posts here already, you all have been helpful thank you. I need more advice though. I am finding in my older age I do not have the wind I used to have when I did this over 10 years ago. What can you guys recomend that I do to help my wind. Specifically I have an issue with climbing long hills. It's not strength, I have plenty of that, it's always my lungs that give out first and my heart feels like it is going to explode.
    conlysm

<insert generic signature comment here>

13' Intense Tracer 275

ZEN RIDER!
    Ride Ride & Ride some more.
    Along with that try interval training, short hard burst either running or riding. Push as hard as you can for as long as you can. Rinse & repeat.
    Rail trail can help also, push as long as you can in the big gears with out stopping for recovery. 20+ miles.
    Olympic bar doing dead's to snatch & grab as quickly as you can with lower weights over & over will get your heart rate up really quick.
    Other than that pushing on the ups & not taking recovery breaks-stopping & resting at the top of a hill-will get your wind up to speed. Try to recover while pedaling.
    When it comes down to it its all about the beautiful suffering & pushing thru it.
    Life in every breath

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks I appreciate the advise and was afraid you would say what you did, lol. I will admit that there is a sense of fullfillment after actually successfully climbing a rather difficult hill.
    conlysm

13' Intense Tracer 275

Delirious Tuck
    Definitely what Mt.Biker E said, ride ride ride.

As you ride, learn to breathe. Almost focus more on how and when you're breathing vs. just blowing your lungs out to push through the climb. Breathe BEFORE you get to the hill, get your momentum up and gear choice ready before you're there, try a higher gear going into the climb than you think. Get the O2 in early and then focus on keeping a rhythm in your breathing as you climb... think of a song that keeps the tempo/cadence on your pedals and gives you a regular spacing on your breathing.

Back to the momentum thing, non-SS riders don't realize this, but we almost all slow down before or into a climb picking gears. On an SS you put the hammer down as hard as you can into the start of the climb and try to pull that momentum up with you. Try the harder gear and step on it into the climb.

Another thing, as you climb or ride, pick a point up the trail like 20' or so and pull yourself to that point, then move up to another point. Focus on breaking down those sections and things get easier...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    that is some great advice guys, I will try this and let you know after my next ride.
    conlysm

13' Intense Tracer 275