mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Abandoned Nike Missle Bases

Does anyone know the legality of riding around the abandoned Nike Missle bases in Plainville and Glastonbury? I found the one in Plainville (can actually ride there from my house) this weekend. They are mostly paved (though all broken up and falling apart) and I dont have to wait for things to dry out before I ride. It's also a good way to check out the local history of CT.

It was a good, easy ride to get back into it this weekend. You just gotta keep your ears open for the ass-hats going 50 MPH on their ATVs up there.

Does anyone know if these are public land? I didnt see any signs saying otherwise so I assume it's okay, at least in Plainville.

mtbr member
    If you are talking about the one near Pinnacle Rock in Plainville, then yeah I'm pretty sure its public land, because the blue hiking trail that runs all the way through the state runs through there. Plus there's an old quarantine site for small poxs back there too, from the late 1800's or earlier with all there names carved in the rock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    The Nike sites in Portland are - to the best of my knowledge - located in Meshomasic State Forest. They are accessible by a number of great trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ne_dan
    If you are talking about the one near Pinnacle Rock in Plainville, then yeah I'm pretty sure its public land, because the blue hiking trail that runs all the way through the state runs through there. Plus there's an old quarantine site for small poxs back there too, from the late 1800's or earlier with all there names carved in the rock.

Yup, it's the one in Plainville. It's actually at the end of the street that I live on. I gotta try to find the Quarantine site now.. that actually sounds interesting.

I know the blue trial goes through the WH Res, can it be ridden from Plainville all the way up or are there areas that can't be passed on a bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    "It was a good, easy ride to get back into it this weekend. You just gotta keep your ears open for the ass-hats going 50 MPH on their ATVs up there"

JAYDEZ- what is an ass-hat?

Loser
    From UrbanDictionary.com:

ass-hat
    A general term for someone who carries out actions with such stupidity that they might as well wear their ass as a hat.
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    So why are the ATV riders considered ass hats?

Loser
    I don't know this particular location at all, nor the people on the ATVs.

In general ATVs do a lot of a damage. There is nowhere legal to ride one in CT unless you ride them on your own land, which really makes me think about someone plopping down serious cash for a machine that they don't have anywhere to ride. They take narrow trails and make them wide and take wide trails and make them rutted. Whether or not this general behavior makes the riders of these machines ass hats, I really can't say, but I have seen the damage they do and its not pretty - go take a look at Salmon River. Many trails that used to be pristine singletrack are now rutted highways, not fun to hike and impossible to ride with a MTB, before ATVs they were great trails.

I'm not really interested in a protracted debate on this topic... I think it's been done enough times... and I'm sure on some hiking forum there's this same discussion going on, just replace ATV with MTB.

John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I agree with your point on damage. Also on the fact that there is nowhere to legally ride them. And with your point on a protracted debate. I'm just trying to understand the rationale behind arbitrarily lumping someone with a different interest than our own into a category such as that, that's all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    i don't think he is saying that because they are interested in ATV's, just because the ones he encountered were riding where they shouldn't be, and sounds like they were riding kind of recklessly as well

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by raceteen48
    i don't think he is saying that because they are interested in ATV's, just because the ones he encountered were riding where they shouldn't be, and sounds like they were riding kind of recklessly as well

yes. while the ones we encountered did have the respect to slow down (alot) when they came up to us... they also go flying up my residential street at speed of over 60 MPH to get to the trails. Unfortunately, the street is rarely patrolled becasue of its location.

But I was referring to the ATV riders that i see going up there most often, not all. I know some who are respectful.

I appologize if I offended anyone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydez
    Yup, it's the one in Plainville. It's actually at the end of the street that I live on. I gotta try to find the Quarantine site now.. that actually sounds interesting.

I know the blue trial goes through the WH Res, can it be ridden from Plainville all the way up or are there areas that can't be passed on a bike?
    Generally trails that are part of the CT blue trail section aren't supposed to be ridden on unless there's an exemption from the land manager, as I believe is the case at the WH rez.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Are all you guys referring to Plainville, Massachusetts ... or Plainville, Connecticut?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Leg
    Are all you guys referring to Plainville, Massachusetts ... or Plainville, Connecticut?
    Plainville, CT