mtbr member
    Feb 2010

90 mile rail trail ride Connecticut

Hello, Everybody.! My Social Biking Group , The Leisurely Trail Riders Association ( a social mountain bike, rail trail and road group) is doing our Annual 90 miler bike ride which will be held Saturday September 29th. There are two options to start from. One is Sacred Heart Church parking lot in Vernon Connecticut at 530 am, to depart at 545 am, or the Manchester Hop River trailhead lot On the corner of Colonial and Sheldon road that is at 530 am to depart at 545 am. We will be riding to Church Street Vernon to what is known as the "Depot". We will be leaving there at 615 am.
    This is not in anyway a race or "cannonball run"! It's a group ride, understanding there will be "A" & "B" groups. This is not a ride to show how fast you ride! If you want to schedule a "Lance Armstrong Ride" feel free to set one up. The ride is designed for the "average rider" challenging endurance, will and sanity. For many hardcore riders, 90 miles is a piece of cake! Keep in mind you'll be riding with people who are not at your level and may have bikes with fat knobby tires that prevent them from going 20+mph.
    We welcome people that want to join us for part of the ride and "Ride helpers". Last year we were blessed to have a friend meet us at the midpoint. She brought water, fruit and snacks. Riders chipped in and gave her some money. Anyone interested as a "Ride Helper" your contributions are most appreciated! For those who have never done this before, you'll need: your head examined, plenty of water, toilet paper, snacks, tools, bike light and tubes. *NOTE: Inspect tires (dryrot, cracks, treadwear...). We had a wonderful turnout (20 riders) and look forward to this again. This is an all day event! Trophies awarded ($5. donation) for your accomplishment. Dinner to follow: Shea's or Wood N' Tap in Vernon! Hybrids are recommended, and a lot of people tough it out on mountain bikes. Trail services are packed dirt and grass, flat and minimal incline..There are a few miles of road, and then it turns into gravel and packed dirt again. The groups will be stopping every ten miles or major turning point.

Hop river 20 miles,, 5 miles road,, Airline 20 miles, then back is 90 miles..

The main website for this is our biking group Leisure Trail Riders Association (Manchester, CT) - Meetup

Casual Bikers (Simsbury, CT) - Meetup

LeisureTrail Riders (Waterbury, CT) - Meetup

860 7070595

Eric

Hop River Trail From Manchester/Vernon to Columbia then some roads, then Airline South to the East Hampton Cranberry bog(midway point) then turnaround. Surface, packed dirt, gravel, road..
    Last edited by icecube89; 05-03-2012 at 08:35 PM. Reason: more info
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by icecube89 View Post
    The third installment of this epic ride will take place Saturday, Sept 29th. This ride has riders meeting at Sacred Heart Church or the Lot in Manchester and meeting at the Depot. Departure is promptly 6:15 from the Depot. I'll be departing with a group from the Lot at about 5:45 am. This is not in anyway a race or "cannonball run". It's a group ride, understanding there will be "A" & "B" groups. This is not a ride to show how fast you ride! If you want to schedule a "Lance Armstrong Ride" feel free to set one up. The ride is designed for the "average rider" challenging endurance, will and sanity. For many hardcore riders, 90 miles is a piece of cake! Keep in mind you'll be riding with people who are not at your level and may have bikes with fat knobby tires that prevent them from going 20+mph.
    We welcome people that want to join us for part of the ride and "Ride helpers". Last year we were blessed to have a friend meet us at the midpoint. She brought water, fruit and snacks. Riders chipped in and gave her some money. Anyone interested as a "Ride Helper" your contributions are most appreciated! For those who have never done this before, you'll need: your head examined, plenty of water, toilet paper, snacks, tools, bike light and tubes. *NOTE: Inspect tires (dryrot, cracks, treadwear....just ask Big Pete). We had a wonderful turnout (20 riders) and look forward to this again. This is an all day event! Trophies awarded ($5. donation) for your accomplishment. Dinner to follow: Shea's or Wood N' Tap. No parking at the Depot, Start at the Lot or Sacred Heart Church.

860 7070595

Eric

Hop River Trail From Manchester/Vernon to Columbia then some roads, then Airline South to the East Hampton Cranberry bog(midway point) then turnaround. Surface, packed dirt, gravel, road..
    Eric - I (long time lurker, longer time rider at MTBR) - I have some suggestions for you if you want more people to ride with your group - keep in mind, I'm not chopping you up, or complaining. I want to see more people riding bikes.

You say 'The third installment of this epic ride will take place Saturday, Sept 29th' - is that 2011 or 2012? Today is May 3, 2012 - I assume you mean 2012, seeing as your post was a week ago.

Then you say 'Sacred Heart Church' - which one? A quick Google search shows there are many in Connecticut and Rhode Island.

And then 'or the Lot in Manchester and meeting at the Depot' - which lot in Manchester? There are at least two commuter lots, and countless parking lots. Which Depot? Home Depot? I hope not, because I've ridden there, and it sucks.

If you're notifying a specific group of an upcoming ride, and everyone knows what you're talking about, then this is a great post. Except you don't name the group.

If you are trying to attract new people to your group, you need to be WAY more specific about meeting points (like giving at least the address and/or basic driving directions).

90 miles is a huge distance for people who have never ridden much. I'm kind of confused about the whole thing. Is this a 90 mile ride broken into segments? Or, is this a 90 mile segment of a bigger ride? At the beginning, you say 'The third installment of this epic ride will take place Saturday, Sept 29th.'

Is there a website for this epic ride where people can sign up?

mtbr member
    Looking forward to participating in this event Eric as I hope to recruit other riders. Please take a moment to answers murbike's questions. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I just edited the info... check the link too...
    I like to ride my bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not sure that I want to join those meetup groups to see additional info, and I'm not sure if I would really jive with the regular rides that those groups seem to go on.
    However I'm interested in experiencing what a 90 mile ride is like and how I compare against peers in terms of stamina. The only other rides that I've seen go this long are on the road, and I think riding a bicycle on commuter roads when you don't have to is asinine, so this ride you're talking about seems ideal.
    Can you post a map, or link to a map of the route?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I sure can.. the meetup group does all sort of rides,, rail trails. single track and road.. You should give it a chance. We even got medals for a small donation. Cost is for trophy and site. The medal is a victory medal. Let's get a big party for this!
    I like to ride my bike.