n00b eternal

Xpedo Baldwin vs XT/XTR trail

Anyone have any experience on both or just the Baldwins?

I switched to XT trail pedals after riding nothing but ATACs forever, as I was tired of feeling every impact through the balls of my feet. While the Shimano platform is better (with ATACs you're pretty much standing on the cleat/gates so the impact of every little jump goes into one spot), the "wings" don't touch your shoes. They probably help your cleat find its home and maybe in the rare instance you can't find it at all, but that's about it. It looks like the Baldwins cage actually touches the shoe and that it's more usable to boot. Plus they're lighter (especially the Ti) and I can get a deal on them...

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by ezweave View Post

I switched to XT trail pedals after riding nothing but ATACs forever, as I was tired of feeling every impact through the balls of my feet. While the Shimano platform is better (with ATACs you're pretty much standing on the cleat/gates so the impact of every little jump goes into one spot), the "wings" don't touch your shoes. They probably help your cleat find its home and maybe in the rare instance you can't find it at all, but that's about it. It looks like the Baldwins cage actually touches the shoe and that it's more usable to boot. Plus they're lighter (especially the Ti) and I can get a deal on them...
    Thanks for this! I was looking for a SPD compatible platform and it looks like I found it

n00b eternal
    The reviews I've read say that the Xpedo cleat is a tiny bit different, but yeah, Shimano cleats work fine.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    The reviews seem to indicate exactly what I am looking for. Lightweight, SPD compatible and a platform that is usable when not clicked in. Let's review as soon as one of us has tried the pedals?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have had XT Trail (wich i bent both the axle and cage on) and are now running Xpedo Baldwin.

The support under the shoe when clipped in feels good but I feel they are much harder to clip in to. It seems like every time I miss with the cleats. I'm not sure why, maybe they are just not as good as Shimano or maybe my muscle memory thinks that the pedal is in a slightly different position then they are. With the wintershoes they actually worked better then with the summer shoes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I checked out why my summershoes(Shimano M200) worked not so very good with the Baldwins. It was a combination of the pedal and the shoe.

The rubber pieces next to the cleat on the shoe catches on the front of the pedal and requires you to push downwards to get the cleat to find the pedal. If you do not push downwards hard enough you won't feel the cleat catch the pedal.

If you would look at Shimanos pedals the front of the cage is slightly angled downwards to help you find the pedal. The Baldwins are the opposite. So out of the box I would say not compatible. BUT offcourse there is a fix. Just take a knife and cut the rubber on the shoe so instead of a perpendicular edge there is a angle. I also filed a little on the front of the pedal to make the surface smooth instead of with an edge.

Have not tried it other then with the shoe in my hand but they seem to be about 10000% better. If anyone is interested in my fix I can post photos.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017

Cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgo View Post
    If anyone is interested in my fix I can post photos.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

I would like 2 see pics, I have the same shoes.

Thnx for providing all this info!
    Last edited by henrov; 04-18-2017 at 06:22 AM. Reason: reformatted, originally written on phpne

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Under the shoe. I cut a small "chamfer" to get the shoe to clear the front of the pedal
    Xpedo Baldwin vs XT/XTR trail-_20170418_193422.jpg

This was propably not necessary but I did it anyway. On the front corners of the pedals there was an edge. I filed it down. It is covered with some paint to make it look less ugly
    Xpedo Baldwin vs XT/XTR trail-_20170418_193356.jpg

Side view of the finished shoe and pedal. Not clipped in but on its way. The awesome beautiful green markings is to illustrate how the interference was before I modified. The edge of the rubber caught the edge on the pedal and forced it out before the cleat was able to engage. Before it did not, I had to force it in.
    Xpedo Baldwin vs XT/XTR trail-_20170418_193739.jpg

Side view again but with the cleat clipped in. My modification did not affect how much contact there is between shoe and pedal. There was no contact there before anyway, except for when trying to clip in.
    Xpedo Baldwin vs XT/XTR trail-dsc_0912.jpg

As for managing not to technical stuff without clipping in they are ok. I think maybe a little better then XT-trail. Even with the modification I would say that XT-trail has a better feel and are easier to find the right position to clip in. But the difference is small.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezweave View Post

I have both XTR Trail and Race, hard to tell the difference other than having more platform if you are not clipped in, so if weight is a concern I would get the Race version (308 grams at $75). They are incredibly reliable and I never, ever miss clinking in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have now tested the Baldwins with slightly modified shoes on a normal trailride. They worked perfectly. Not even once I thought about them. It was when I was riding home i realized that they worked perfectly. Before modification they where not very good with Shimano M200. The last ride before had me cursing over them over and over again.

STS
    mtbr member

BAD service

This is my short experience with the xpedo Baldwin ti pedals,
    This is what I found after the third ride with the expensive Baldwin titanium pedals, part of the mechanism loosed in the trail:

Xpedo Baldwin vs XT/XTR trail-img_6551_resize.jpg

They have NO correct customer service.
    3 months ago I sent them the picture the defect of my pedals, with part of the mechanism loosed in the third ride.
    I tried to solve it with the customer service, sent three times the legal invoice, and actually they don´t answer to my emails or facebook messages.
    So please don't buy their products, or you will have to eat them if you have any problem.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have two sets of Baldwins on my FS & HT for about two years now. Never had an issue with the quality. The only issue that occurs sometimes is clipping in. Like I can't seem to find the cleat. Maybe it's the same issue posted above. I'll have to investigate. I'm currently using Giro Terraduro's. I'm hoping that I don't have to cut into the shoes to get it working...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by STS View Post
    This is my short experience with the xpedo Baldwin ti pedals,
    This is what I found after the third ride with the expensive Baldwin titanium pedals, part of the mechanism loosed in the trail:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6551_resize.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	1132939

They have NO correct customer service.
    3 months ago I sent them the picture the defect of my pedals, with part of the mechanism loosed in the third ride.
    I tried to solve it with the customer service, sent three times the legal invoice, and actually they don´t answer to my emails or facebook messages.
    So please don't buy their products, or you will have to eat them if you have any problem.
    Sorry to hear that hope things haven't gone downhill.

Same thing happened to mine (May 6th 2015). Pedals were over 1 year old. I contacted them through there website (info@xpedo.com). They sent me new screws within a week. My Baldwins have been going strong for over 3-4 years now (blue Loctite on all screws now).

STS
    mtbr member
    In my case I sent multiple emails, with invoice, and they don't ever answer

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Have you called them? If so, at what number? I've had issues with other vendors where emails were blocked because they have a spam blocker. Which is silly if you're providing customer support via email. LOL. Just a thought

Elitest thrill junkie
    Emailed and got an answer just a few weeks ago, no issues.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.