mtbr member
    May 2016

Today's Altus vs. 1990s STX?

Looking to "upgrade" / fix the rear derailleur on my 1996 Diamondback Apex SE which has an STX on there.

Would this be an easy swap that would work well?
    Amazon.com : Shimano Altus Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur - Direct Mount - RDM310 : Sports & Outdoors

I would probably get rid of the grip shifters too and put a pair of these on there since they are falling apart from the rubber being so old
    Amazon.com : Shimano ST-EF51 3 x 7 Speed Bike Shift / Brake Lever set : Sports & Outdoors

I am getting a new full suspension bike and want to just fix this one up cheap until then and to keep as an easy trail / fire road / bike path with the family ride.

Thanks for any input/tips.

-JR

mtbr member
    Are your current brakes cantilever or linear pull v-brakes? The shifter/brake lever combo you linked is for linear pull v-brakes. Depending on how old your bike is it may have cantilever brakes and the new levers will not be compatible.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    Are your current brakes cantilever or linear pull v-brakes? The shifter/brake lever combo you linked is for linear pull v-brakes. Depending on how old your bike is it may have cantilever brakes and the new levers will not be compatible.
    Darn it, they are definitely cantilever brakes, not sure it is worth it to upgrade at this point if I need to add brakes into the mix. I guess I will just try to take down the rear mech and try to refurb it and see how it goes. The shifters work they are just starting to degrade from being so old.

mtbr member
    The derailluer you linked will work. You might check ebay for shifters. I definitely wouldn't put too much into though.

mtbr member
    If this is your bike, you're lucky (somewhat). It's actually a 7-speed freehub cassette (I have one at home) instead of a cheap junky freewheel. Worth keeping around.
    1996 Diamondback Apex SE - BikePedia

The stock shifters are grip-shift, which mean the brake levers are separate from your shifter. Since that's the case, a SRAM X4 or Shimano Acera trigger shifter/derailure might be the easiest. And 8-speed shifters/derailures will work fine with your rear wheel's 7-speed cassette. The indexing is the same, you'll just have one extra "shift" that you can't use.

https://www.amazon.com/SRAM-X-4-8-Sp.../dp/B001ONNNCO
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GWCMYRACT2GC3Y

If you don't want to sink in much money, grab the derailleur you linked to, and clean your shifters with some WD40 and replace the cables/housing. Normally don't want to use WD40 on a bike, but for shifters, it works OK.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"