Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

232K views 723 replies 215 participants last post by  gotow 
#1 · (Edited)
Thomson says they'll work on a "stealth" version once the initial release is dialed. :thumbsup:

Thomson Elite Dropper
• Telescoping seat post
• 5''/125mm drop (internally adj. to 4'')
• Infinitely adjustable travel
• Hydraulic internals
• Nitrogen return spring (not adjustable)
• Lever-adjustable return speed
• Weight: 450g (prototype) 592g (final version)

Update 29.08.2012

pinkbike.com said:
Thomson stirred up a hornet's nest of activity when they teased riders with a few quick photos of their upcoming telescoping seat post on their Facebook page a few months back, but no other information was available at the time. Fast forward to Eurobike and they were showing off the new post, dubbed the 'Elite Dropper', in their booth, which we made our first stop of the show. The post is still in the early prototyping stage, with only a few functioning samples in the wild at this point.

The Elite Dropper offers 5"/127mm of infinitely adjustable travel, meaning that it can be positioned anywhere between and full extension fully lowered . The travel is controlled with a sealed cartridge (it can be worked on by a service center, though) that separates the post's hydraulic oil from the non-adjustable nitrogen return spring that is set at 135psi. Thomson has employed a clever second check valve within the cartridge that keeps the post from pulling up through its travel when lifting the bike by the saddle, thereby remedying a somewhat annoying trait of some other hydraulically controlled posts.

While it looks as if Thomson has refined existing dropper post technology rather than reinventing it, they have done something completely different to eliminate any side to side saddle wiggle from the Elite Dropper. Rather than use multiple keyways to keep the round stanchion from rotating, an interesting sixteen-point shaft - that fits within a matching sixteen-point profile within the outer tube - is attached to the bottom of the stanchion. This requires assembly to involve sliding in the stanchion from above, then threading the sixteen-point section into place through the bottom of the outer tube, followed by screwing the silver bottom cap onto the bottom. This layout allows Thomson to utilize traditional round bushings from Norglide to keep the post's travel smooth, although the upper, stationary bushing sports a custom finish to further enhance the post's movement.

Thomson is being very clear about one thing: reliability is the focus of the new dropper post. They are aiming to have the Elite Dropper trump everything else on the market when it comes to longevity, a goal that will likely make the Thomson post a favorite among riders if fulfilled given how unreliable most current designs are.

Head-mounted actuation The Elite Dropper's actuation arm is located on the side of its two-bolt head (that features the very same rail clamp as used on their standard seat posts), with a bolt-on cable stop and arm that is pulled on by a standard shift cable. Hidden from view within the post's head, the actuation arm pushes down on a plunger located at the top of the cartridge, thereby opening the oil port and allowing the post to stroke through its travel. Interestingly, Thomson allows riders to choose from varying rebound speeds despite its shift cable actuation thanks to a cam design on the plunger that determines the amount of oil flow allowed when engaged - pushing the lever completely through its travel will result in a faster return speed than if the rider only depresses it partway. While we didn't get to try the system on a bike, it should allow riders to easily find those partially dropped positions.

Remote or under seat Two activation options will be available, allowing riders to pick from either a remote or under-the-seat lever. While still likely to receive some minor changes before production begins, the lever employs an ultra-slim footprint that easily fits between the other controls on your bar, as well as being hinged for simple installation and removal. The under-the-seat lever is likely going to be less popular than the remote, but using it will reduce bar clutter, if that is a concern. It is bolted to the same mounting location as the remote actuation arm, and pushes the cartridge's plunger down in the same way when pulled.

Hydraulic cartridge Thomson isn't shy about admitting that the Elite Dropper's cartridge is outsourced to another company; they wanted to focus on the machined structure and design of the post and let a team with experience in hydraulics design take care of the internals. The hydraulic oil is held within the upper section of the cartridge (right), with the activation plunger at the very top. At the bottom is the nitrogen chamber that is pressurized to 135psi. This pressure is not adjustable, something that many riders have used in the past to adjust their seat post's return speed, simply because the cam design on the plunger allows the user to select rebound speed by how far the lever is pushed.

Non-adjustable nitrogen The Elite Dropper's outsourced internals are laser etched at the bottom of the post (left), including the nod to its Norglide bushings and Motul oil. The threaded silver bottom cap (right) allows access to the post's internals, while a specially-shaped plug at its center keeps users from letting the nitrogen gas escape accidentally.
More info at pinkbike and Thomson

update 30.08.2012

BikeRumor.com said:
LH Thomson's in a comfortably tough position. Riders generally just assume their stuff will be flawless, but that means it needs to be flawless before it ships. That's part of the reason this thing's been in the pipeline and rumor mill for so long. Now, it's come out of vaporware.

Dropper seatpost will ship with both the lever and the remote. It's a simple single bolt swap using a suicide bolt that'll snap on impact to save the post if you wreck. The slider uses a 12-sided star shaped lower section (think Torx but with more V's) under the hood to prevent rotation. That provides a ton of surface area to bear the load. It slides on Norglide bearing/bushings with Motul oil and Trelleburg o-rings and upper bushings. Once the bushings are made, then they're finished to provide a tight seal but keep moving easy.

The cartridge is nitrogen charged and not user adjustable. The lever can be pushed anywhere in the range to control both depression and rebound speed. Floor it and it'll drop at one foot per second, but it can go much slower than that for those of us that like to hover on it to drop slowly until it's at the right spot. So, yes, it'll stop anywhere in the travel range and lock there. It uses a second check valve that keeps it from pulling up when depressed, so you can lift the saddle without yanking the post up. Available in 30.9 and 31.6 with 125mm travel. Fully extended, it's 400mm tall. Cable management is a closed loop, so it won't pop out and get in the way.

David Parrett says the internal spring is strong enough to support the rider, so the post should be very durable. The top bushing is pretty tall and the bearing-bushing is 125mm long, the length of the travel. Their goal was to make it last in the worst snowy, sandy conditions for two years before needing to be serviced. When the time comes, you'll have to send it in for work. They decided to make it a completely sealed, non user serviceable system to reduce headaches.

Retail will be $379, available Spring. Weight is 450g with the lever, a bit more if you add the remote and its 60″ of cable. The housing and cable will be automotive grade materials, so they recommend not swapping it out as it should last the life of the product.
More info at bikerumor

See less See more
#3 ·
It looks solid, as to be expecting being a Thmoson!

As a UK user I find the biggest weakness of my i950 is the cable system under the seat, it's constantly clagged up with mud, for this reason I hope the cable clamp and system has some sort of appropriate shilelding from the elements.

#8 · (Edited)
From pinkbike:

While it looks as if Thomson has refined existing dropper post technology rather than reinventing it, they have done something completely different to eliminate any side to side saddle wiggle from the Elite Dropper. Rather than use multiple keyways to keep the round stanchion from rotating, an interesting sixteen-point shaft - that fits within a matching sixteen-point profile within the outer tube - is attached to the bottom of the stanchion. This requires assembly to involve sliding in the stanchion from above, then threading the sixteen-
point section into place through the bottom of the outer tube, followed by screwing the silver bottom cap onto the bottom. This layout allows Thomson to utilize traditional round bushings from Norglide to keep the post's travel smooth, although the upper, stationary bushing sports a custom finish to further enhance the post's movement.

#47 ·
Totaly agree, can't believe two companies that claim to be on the leading edge of componentry release a post with a cable attached to the top of the post. Until bike companies all start addopting stealth internal routing more companies need to wake up to the fact that having a massive loop of cable when you drop the post is a massive weakness.

Love Thomson, but this is a fail. Just like the Fox.

Need more collar mounted actuators.

#10 ·
Agreed - attachment at the head of the units is not gonna win people over. Collar actuated is what will make people stand up and take notice. And 150mm drop is much more appealing as well.

I also think KS has continued to do a better job with the bar mounted actuation lever (although hopefully the Thomson one feels better then it looks?)

I had really high hopes for this post - am admitting a bit disappointed. Looks like I will be going the KS LEV route to replace my KS i950.

#30 ·
Ditto this as I am looking for a reliable external 6" post to replace my KS Supernatural that is just too finicky and maintenance intensive for me, but I came off years of using GD posts that would keep on running no matter what (If you could get past all the play at the seat clamp within a few months of replacement of course).

#15 ·
at this point in the game, it's hard to understand why a stationary cable ISN'T the de facto standard. it is what the majority of the public wants and there are already several non-stationary models that work well. if a company wants to set itself apart, make a reliable, beautiful, lightweight post that has a stationary cable.

i love the look of this post, i love the quality of thomson products and i love the weight, however, i'll wait until the cable actuator is moved to the bottom. that is the only selling feature to me that puts one post above another (among posts that work well, of course). the ks lev is waiting to take my money.

#17 ·
so it has an under-the-seat lever option. or maybe that's the default, as their website lists a separate price for the remote? having the actuation mechanism at the bottom will exclude this option. whether they thought there's a significant market for this, or whatever the reason is, is another matter though..

#19 ·
Yes, given that its already been so many years, I would have believe that the "technology" and all should really be able to make posts with an actuation lowered so they wont be a moving cable. Otherwise looks like "just another of those" in the market...

Plus from the pics, the whole actuation shebang rear facing-- clogging up, smoothness in operating over time and the usual problems plaguing many of these adjustable post are still all there so far as i can see. Fancy cnc work (yes they are nice) do not detract from the issues.

Still cant wait to get my hands on a LEV... seems to be the only one right now that is the most well thought out.

#20 ·
Moving cable? I have a joplin, I never notice the cable when in the fully squat position. If you zip tie it to frame somewhere around the top tube/seat tube joint, then all it will do is stick out a little bit on the back of the bike it, and really won't get in the way, unless you are doing some serious jumping and trying a Can Can or a double grab, which would mean you're on a DIRT BIKE.

But seriously, what is the objection to the cable sticking out a little in full squat? I hope its not just out of aesthetic purity :)

To me these new posts are almost all infinitely adjustable, have about the same feel (damping vs. spring), have a remote, etc. So the decision for me comes down first to long term durability (since many have had issues) and second, weight.

#22 ·
Moving cable? I have a joplin, I never notice the cable when in the fully squat position. If you zip tie it to frame somewhere around the top tube/seat tube joint, then all it will do is stick out a little bit on the back of the bike it, and really won't get in the way, unless you are doing some serious jumping and trying a Can Can or a double grab, which would mean you're on a DIRT BIKE.

But seriously, what is the objection to the cable sticking out a little in full squat? I hope its not just out of aesthetic purity :)

To me these new posts are almost all infinitely adjustable, have about the same feel (damping vs. spring), have a remote, etc. So the decision for me comes down first to long term durability (since many have had issues) and second, weight.
Not all frame designs favor your method. Several frames have linkages where the cable droops. The cable droop can also cause some unnecessary frame wear. Sure it is just paint and it can be covered, but why not eliminate the excessive cable and make the post actuate from the collar area?

#21 ·
I am not too fazed about the cable, personally. I will be using the under-seat-lever myself. I prefer my bar to be uncluttered, and most of the time I am able to see far enough ahead to have plenty of time to lower the seat. If not, I have ridden non-dropper posts for long enough to be able to get through most anything the trail can throw at me. So for me, this looks fantastic!

#35 ·
Thomson says they'll work on a "stealth" version once the initial release is dialed. :thumbsup:
Where did you hear that? If that is the case then that is great news. I will probably buy the KS LEV now and when the Elite Dropper stealth version comes out get that one too. I can then decide which post goes on mine and my wifes bikes since they have the same seat tube diameters.

#39 ·
I prefer the under-seat lever. I would rarely use the dropper function - MUCH less than I use ProPedal, for example. So I'd much rather do without the weight/clutter and potential for fail that a cable set-up provides.

Hopefully, Thompson does a set-back version of this post for the long-femured.

#43 ·
I recently had my i950 in for repairs and was stuck with a joplin 4 for a couple of weeks which did not have the remote. I found I used it way less and it was more of a hassle while riding to drop it just prior to rock sections ect. I can't imagine not having a remote after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.