Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantTurd View Post
    Just got a 27.2 post and it takes 5 or 6 lever pushes to get it to return the last 3 or 4mm, total pain while riding, is there a DIY fix for this that anyone knows of?
    No - that sounds like it needs to go back to Thomson. My Covert did that and they had to replace the cartridge. Give them a call - they're really quick about it.

mtbr member
    Yep. That's a bummer. And it's BS.
    Send it back.

connisseur
    Hello I have a 27.2 had it for nearly 2 years and it's worked great but recently developed a slight bit of movement(less than 1/8") at full extension. It's not play the post moves up and down i don't feel it while riding. Is there an easy fix for this?

Check psi in post? let out air under collar?? I have not done any maintenance on this post

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Is there an easy fix for this?

Check psi in post? let out air under collar?? I have not done any maintenance on this post
    The Thomson designs cannot be DIY serviced, unfortunately. My posts that developed this issue (albeit a bit more pronounced, about 1cm of "settling") required a cartridge exchange at Thomson. The potential bummer for you is that you might be outside the 2 year warranty. I'd contact them sooner rather than later and hope/plead for some warranty period flexibility from them. Good luck.

This issue seems to be the Achilles heal of the Thomsons.

connisseur
    Thx, it's just inside 2 years will contact them. So the new cart should fix the issue or are the new one's having the same issue?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Tickle View Post
    Thx, it's just inside 2 years will contact them. So the new cart should fix the issue or are the new one's having the same issue?
    Great question. Until I make it 2+ years on new cartridges on multiple posts, I can't really make a data-driven judgment.

connisseur
    Yeah i'm on the fence on whether to F with sending it in, I would have to do it right now. No 27.2 backup either my old Gravity dropper is toast it would hate the winter muck cond's.

If I knew it wouldn't get any worse as far as the amount of sag I would be fine with it, 1cm is too much tho I agree

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm in Same boat. I'm past two years they told me I could pay up to 260+/- I think she said. So not sure if I should look around for a new make or send it in.

Climbs = necessary evil

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

I had one warranty replacement after about a year, and now a little over 2 years later, it's failed and is slowly dropping with pressure as I sit on it - slow is a relative term here, dropping about 2 inches in a minute. Just sent it in for service and was told it's be "about $250". If it fails again, I'll be looking for other options.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    So people have invested close to a grand into a single dropper post. Seems a bit high for a seat to go up and down. Maybe I will just deal with the slight drop. I wonder if it will get worse? Right now it drops almost to the "11" mark.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Anyone know if the Thomson Elite External Dropper can be run backwards?

According to Thomson, its got 5mm of setback, and I'm looking to reverse that to make it 10mm more forward.

I'm trying to offset the slacker geometry I now have after adding a longer travel fork, and am getting a very slightly "floaty" front end on very steep climbs..

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    I have had rotational play in my 27.2 post for the second time. The first time the Thomson service centre fixed it and it was fine for 2-3 months before developing the same problem again. I am going to take it off the bike for winter so its no biggie.

It's a great post otherwise and the 27.2 is awesome because you can use a modded shifter as the lever making it intuitive to use.

mtbr member
    Bought my 27.2 posts (2) in the fall of 2014.
    Rode the heck out of them, also found that rotational play by the end of 2015.
    I sent both back before the warranty expired.
    Rode them thru 2016 and now 2017. The SS has a bit more wiggle than the gears but each has some.
    When the saddle is in my hand, it's a downer. When riding? I don't notice it unless I focus on it.
    And even after all that? Well if I was going to get another dropper, it might be Thomson again. Yep.
    I thought I read something that there were some internal changes. And even a stealth 27.2? Or maybe I'm confusing this w/ another manufacturer.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678