Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    sapienti sat est
    So is it safe to buy Thomson yet? Or it is better to wait until they fix all the bugs?
    It might be easy to send the post back when you live in the US but for us Europeans it is a pain in the a$$: time consuming and co$tly kind of thing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert View Post
    So is it safe to buy Thomson yet? Or it is better to wait until they fix all the bugs?
    It might be easy to send the post back when you live in the US but for us Europeans it is a pain in the a$$: time consuming and co$tly kind of thing.
    I would say yes. The replacement post that I received after my initial one had a few issues has been bombproof so far (granted I have only gone on 6 rides) but every ride has been really aggressive and 2 were in horrible conditions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Crashed really hard yesterday and obliterated my right knee/quad. So hard that I managed to slide my post about 6 inches to the right. This was using a Thomson collar torqued to 2.8nm or a little more.

Stumbled back to my car and gingerly drove home to assess the damages... busted my derailleur and shifter and put a decent gouge in frame.. loosened collar... straightened out post.. good to go. Still zero play, no noise, and consistent action every time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I will throw the dice on a cheap x fusion hilo, has the under seat lever and bar mount option, would love to keep a thomson seat post but can't justify the cost on my budget build.

mtbr member
    After reading all these posts and even just about hitting the button on the Thomson I am finally leaning towards the Reverb Stealth.

-User serviceable (still If youre not a mech, still your sram lbs can help)
    -All internals are sold separately
    -The most critic area, hydraulic connector for hose from post, is hidden inside frame.
    Transition TransAM 29 (made 27.5 "Plus")
    Cannondale F5000 Yellow :P

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    just used mine on a 3 day trip in north texas...used it quite often...i didn't think i would find it as useful as i originally thought, but i'm glad i got it

i believe i got one of the older models as it came with the 45" cable, but so far, everything works perfectly and no issues (no play)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Helmetless View Post
    After reading all these posts and even just about hitting the button on the Thomson I am finally leaning towards the Reverb Stealth.

-User serviceable (still If youre not a mech, still your sram lbs can help)
    -All internals are sold separately
    -The most critic area, hydraulic connector for hose from post, is hidden inside frame.
    The seatpost clamp on the thomson is 1000x better than the one on reverb

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011

Hope freebie stem

Quote Originally Posted by shredjekyll View Post
    I talked to Dave Parrett (big-wig at thomson) yesterday via email regarding my free stem and he said "it is probably back ordered". I am sure they will follow through since if they don't it is a clear case of bait and switch and they could probably get in big trouble for it.

I literally bought an elite dropper because of the promotion.

It took a good month for mine to arrive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKidOnBike View Post
    It took a good month for mine to arrive.
    I'm at a little over 2 months now and still no stem.

Ow!
    It took about two weeks to get mine. I called them because I may have needed to change the shipping address. They said they had a bad shipment come in (spotting), so I likely would have to wait. But, there it was (did not send a tracking number like I requested).

They do not seem to be that organized with this offer, so you might give them a call if you haven't already. Just for an update, or to make certain they didn't lose your request.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Free stem offer still going on?

Edit - I called, it isn't.

Double Edit - I just bought one, and initial impressions are very positive. Solid lever, no play, looks pretty, goes up and down on command.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm at a little over 2 months now and still no stem.
    I am almost at 7 weeks...and no stem. But I just sent a email of to David Parrett...So hopefully I hear back by tomorrow..he usually gets back within 12-24 hrs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dpo View Post
    I am almost at 7 weeks...and no stem. But I just sent a email of to David Parrett...So hopefully I hear back by tomorrow..he usually gets back within 12-24 hrs.
    Are you waiting on the 70mm x4 stem? It seems to be majorly backordered....

Man of Faith
    Oct 2011
    WOW! Killer fast reply and unmatched customer service from these guys recently! I figured out I was going to need the longer housing/ cable . Figured I would need the aforementioned cable stop bolt, too. Wrote a short email to Thomson and Mr. Parret wrote back several short hours later to let me know that both items were on their way to my house. You don't find customer service like this very often! BKOB

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Potentially devastating news.. my replacement (2nd) post has developed a VERY audible "clunk" that emits every single time the post is fully lowered.. I will post a video soon but it is pretty lame... not too keen on sending my post to Thomson AGAIN after less than a month...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Here is the video of the clunk... terribly shot video but it gets the point across..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Here is the video of the clunk... terribly shot video but it gets the point across..
    Just tried mine and I can feel a rubber bumper when I bottom it out. Sounds like yours came dislodged or collapsed under a hard bottom out?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BigKidOnBike View Post
    WOW! Killer fast reply and unmatched customer service from these guys recently!....... You don't find customer service like this very often! BKOB
    Agree.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Just tried mine and I can feel a rubber bumper when I bottom it out. Sounds like yours came dislodged or collapsed under a hard bottom out?
    Good thought, whatever it is I can't do anything since Thomson specifically says these are not user serviceable and im not the handiest anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim58pson View Post
    I'll start paying attention after people have been abusing them for a couple months.
    Malware on your post

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good thought, whatever it is I can't do anything since Thomson specifically says these are not user serviceable and im not the handiest anyway.
    It's definitely messed up and needs to be warrantied.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's definitely messed up and needs to be warrantied.
    I agree... the thing is it is a brand new post that I just got in the mail after waiting for 3 weeks after sending in my first post under warranty... I'm not going without my dropper for another 3 weeks.. gonna have to wait until winter...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I agree... the thing is it is a brand new post that I just got in the mail after waiting for 3 weeks after sending in my first post under warranty... I'm not going without my dropper for another 3 weeks.. gonna have to wait until winter...
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Have play and it sags a couple mm's; still works great so I'm waiting until winter to send it in.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm in the same boat. Have play and it sags a couple mm's; still works great so I'm waiting until winter to send it in.
    And mine make's that three. Mine does the same. I spoke with David and he said it's safe to ride, just send it in when I was ready and they'd replace it. Great customer service as mentioned.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thats funny... i sent my first one away for those reasons... it had play and a couple mm of sag... got new one... it has been amazing... now it developed the clunk... seems like Thomson has had multiple bad batches... or they simply rushed into production before enough testing.... hell I should been a product tester for them apparently...

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010

You are a product teaser. I hope all of you get your posts sorted out.

Thats funny... i sent my first one away for those reasons... it had play and a couple mm of sag... got new one... it has been amazing... now it developed the clunk... seems like Thomson has had multiple bad batches... or they simply rushed into production before enough testing.... hell I should been a product tester for them apparently...
    I bought KS, but I really wanted a Thomson. I am hoping to get a Thomson for second bike, singlespeed, and would like Thomson with lever under saddle. I hope this stuff gets straightened out for you people. I have been such a fan of Thomson regular posts and stems. Good luck.

Oaktown Honkey on Strava
    Sep 2010
    Oh, almost forgot, I used a Rockshock Reverb up in Seattle last week and it was awesome. 2 hour ride, 4.5 hour ride in snow and mud, and 2 hour rain ride. I don't think the hydraulic system is for me, but it sure keeps the gunk out of the lines. And the thumb switch works great, but I like the simple lever on Thomson (and LEV).

mtbr member

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

FWIW I've been running my Thomson dropper for 3 months without any problems. I know that the people with problems get a lot of the attention, so I wanted to throw my experience into the ring. I ride mostly XC style trails that include steep ups and downs on occasion. I probably use my switch 10 times throughout a ride. I wouldn't say I'm hard on it, but it sees plenty of use. I love it so far and I trust Thomson will take care of me if there ever was an issue with it.

mtbr member
    Mine has been solid, smooth and silent. Running it since May.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Edited: After 7 weeks I finally got my free stem , 50 mm, going on my bike now. As I posted before edit, was a bit confused when it first arrived as I did not know the smaller stems looked different than the others, lol had me going for a bit. Thanks peeps!

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/1...2812ea76c2.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/1...8264bce236.jpg
    Last edited by dpo; 10-30-2013 at 02:23 PM.

mtbr member
    So after waiting almost 7 weeks for the free stem it finally came today. Though I am pretty sure it isnt the right one. Unless they changed the design and do not have it on the web site yet..lol. I asked for either a 50 or 60 mm mountain stem (elitex4) and they sent a stem that says elite x4, but doesn't look like their normal mountain stem. It looks like the bmx stem with one small difference.On the front plate it has 4 screws like a mountain stem as opposed to 6 screws like the bmx stem. WEIRD. I'll try and include a pic or 2. Can anyone else that got their free stem elaborate on what they were sent please?
    I think the 50mm stem does look different than the longer Elite stems due to it being shorter.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 10-29-2013 at 05:54 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I received a 70mm X4 no strings attached.

dpo
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mod please DELETE.

Pivoteer
    So after waiting almost 7 weeks for the free stem it finally came today. Though I am pretty sure it isnt the right one. Unless they changed the design and do not have it on the web site yet..lol. I asked for either a 50 or 60 mm mountain stem (elitex4) and they sent a stem that says elite x4, but doesn't look like their normal mountain stem. It looks like the bmx stem with one small difference.On the front plate it has 4 screws like a mountain stem as opposed to 6 screws like the bmx stem. WEIRD. I'll try and include a pic or 2. Can anyone else that got their free stem elaborate on what they were sent please?

EDIT: I guess I am a dummy...after further digging on google I see this is their 50 mm stem....I was not aware it was different than the other x4's. No matter...it's going on my bike now

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7447/1...2812ea76c2.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2866/1...8264bce236.jpg
    That is what a 50mm stem looks like.
    Employed by Pivot Cycles - www.pivotcycles.com

Just ride!

Anyone tried to use the KS Lev remote with a Thomson? The Lev uses a remote lever that replaces an Odi lock on grip lockjaw, something I think would be beneficial for fit and spacing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tennessee17 View Post
    Anyone tried to use the KS Lev remote with a Thomson? The Lev uses a remote lever that replaces an Odi lock on grip lockjaw, something I think would be beneficial for fit and spacing.
    Works just fine. I gave a spare KS remote lever to a friend that has a Thomson and it actuates the Thomson post with no issues.

Just ride!

Thank you 006 007

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thomson Dropper $330 Free Shipping at Competitive Cyclist

Thomson Dropper Seatpost | Competitive Cyclist
    Last edited by knobbies; 11-27-2013 at 09:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Thomson Elite Dropper Seat Post 125mm

Art's Cyclery has it for $350 plus right now you can get a $30 credit for future use, and free shipping as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I fitted my post but found that the cable is slightly too short as mentioned in an earlier post can you just use a derailleur shift cable instead?

I've got XTR shift is and XT brakes but find its a bit tight with the cable can people send photos of their lever position?

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    I fitted my post but found that the cable is slightly too short as mentioned in an earlier post can you just use a derailleur shift cable instead?

I've got XTR shift is and XT brakes but find its a bit tight with the cable can people send photos of their lever position?
    Yes, derailleur cable and housing works perfectly.

mtbr member
    If you call Thomson they will gladly send you a new, longer, cable. They recommend 5mm brake housing

g3h6o3
    300$ at Art's cyclery (30$ off at checkout) with free shipping for Black Friday
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    300$ at Art's cyclery (30$ off at checkout) with free shipping for Black Friday
    I saw this and had to pull my hand away from the mouse not to click buy............

My Gravity Dropper has been so dependable, but ugly.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

The Fastest of Bananas
    So much want. If they only made it with some setback.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Anybody else want to chime in? Is the Thomson dropper sorted now? I am about to pull the trigger on a dropper and I like the Thomson,but may just go with a Gravity Dropper and all its homley looks.

mtbr member
    I am still using my first day one and it is great.
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

Climbs = necessary evil

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyM14 View Post
    I am still using my first day one and it is great.
    +1 not a problem since day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a Thomson. Hope I like it and it remains relatively trouble free.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just ordered one from Planet Cyclery for 300.00 and free shipping.
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2015 Salsa Mukluk3

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JHFWIC View Post
    great deal and great bike..
    Last edited by sdm74; 12-21-2013 at 01:14 PM.
    17' Riot
    12' Horsethief
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So thought I'd give an update on my posts. I contributed earlier in the thread about them. I have a 30.9 and a 31.6 that I bought when they first came out. After a couple of months of riding I had the problem mentioned earlier about the collars coming loose and causing play on both my posts. Long story short, I sent them into Thomson earlier this month.

I have to say that Thomson's customer service is unbelievable! Every time I've emailed them I usually get a response from David in less than an hour. I'm taking off for the holiday and was worried about when I'd get the posts back from them (didn't want 2 posts on my porch for a week) and I emailed them on Monday and two brand new posts showed up the next day (yesterday). So now they're both back on my bikes and ready to ride. I have high hopes for these new posts and worse case scenario, I know Thomson will back up their product and take care of me and I still got 1.5 years left on my warranty. This level of service is refreshing after dealing with other dropper post issues in the past (I'm not saying which company, but let's just say it rhymes with socks).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHFWIC View Post
    +1 - this price (actually the 30.9 was $319) was enough to push me over the edge. Can't wait til it arrives!

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Just bought one on sale for 325 with free 2-day air. Using it with the underseat actuation lever. Got my first ride on it today in some wet sloppy muck and rocky chunk. Am I losing my mind here or does the post seem to take the edge off of bumps compared to a regular alloy post?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Just received mine from planet cyclery, ordered on Christmas day and arrived today, that was impressive for free shipping. Took all of 15 min to install once I figured out how the little round ball sat in remote lever. Think I got a older one with short cable, but i ran along top tube and it works great in testing so far.
    17' Riot
    12' Horsethief
    96' Killer v

Long live the ASR-7
    Got mine the other day from Backcountry. $325 shipped. Install was easy and painless. Cable was long enough for my Yeti ASR-7 XL frame. First few rides were flawless. Loving it so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Well you guys did it. You convinced me to buy the Thomson. I've rode a friends Reverb and loved it, but hated the routing. I don't want to drill a hole in my frame, so I has going to go with the LEV. After days of reading reviews the Thomson seems to be the only one, that while not perfect, I can't find anyone who has a failure, where it stop working or broke. Okay, you can add the GD in there, but I also want infinite travel adjustment. I guest I'll just have to live with the cable loop. Thanks for the help.

Your bike sucks
    Scored a sweet deal from Backcountry.com/chainlove.com when they sold on the gearstash. $281. Anyway, it's on my GF's bike - been rock solid with nice fit and finish details. Very pleased with the choice. At this point: recommended. Minor grip is the remote level is not as nice(comfortable) as KS.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Everywhere except Jenson USA has the price back at $400+ for these now, anyone know if the new models are shipping? I was ready to pull the trigger but now I think I'll hold off and see what the price increase is all about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My guess on the price increase is that Thomson had given dealers permission to deviate from MSRP during the holiday season, and that time window has now closed.

I'm pretty certain the price change isn't reflecting any product changes. Thomson has been adamant that they won't do a cable-at-seat-collar design. They do have a stealth version coming, but I don't think that will cannibalize their normal design too much . . . . too many bikes out there that aren't ready for internal routing.

It is a pretty shocking price increase after seeing them at $330-ish for months, and as low as $247.50 in some promotions.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    You can still get them at Planet Cyclery for 300.00
    2012 Salsa Horsethief
    2015 Salsa Mukluk3

mtbr member
    Any word on if/when Thomson is going to have a 150mm version (or even better a 150mm version with no cable movement?)

My Lev has partially shat the bed (stuck fully extended) and I was not happy going back to my 125mm i950 - Cant imagine how miserable I would have been with a standard post now lol

Would love a 150 Thomson with no cable movement and then the LEV could be my backup.

mtbr member
    Last I heard there were no plans to do a version with the cable attaching at the bottom. Thompson posted something up on their blog ages ago saying they did testing and felt the post wasn't near strong enough using that method.

No idea about the 150 version though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Didn't see their site when I was looking last night, bummer. I had a gift card to Jenson USA so I went with them, they have it for $325. They're always good about price matching too, could have saved another $25!

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    Just received mine from Art's - got it on the end of year deal for $280.

SCORE!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    FYI - It's up on Chainlove now at 309.99

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I like Chainlove, but sometimes it's cheaper to go with Backcountry or Competitive, just because of the $9.99 shipping Chainlove charges.

Bikebling has them for $319 and free shipping, but I live in CA, so the 9% tax made me not use them.

I went with WesternBikeworks.com - Everything for the Avid Cyclist. Their prices on the site aren't great, but they have an easy price match, no tax and free shipping. I ended up getting mine for $319 shipped. Also if you're in the market for the LEV, they have it for under $300 right now.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    Everywhere except Jenson USA has the price back at $400+ for these now, anyone know if the new models are shipping? I was ready to pull the trigger but now I think I'll hold off and see what the price increase is all about.
    There's a lot of "latitude" given to retailers for the holidays.

Cameras and such are the same way. Look for Presidents day sales. It's 382 at Art'sCyclery.com with their save15 code. That's still pricey when we were all salivating at the Holiday sales
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Mine just came in. Wow, it's beautiful! Definitely the best looking, best machined, best finished, dropper post I've ever seen. The way it comes pack you would think it was fine china. Right now I don't know if I should mount it on the bike or my wall. I have more thoughts about it, most good, but it's not perfect. I'll post more about it later when I have more time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Mine showed up last night, cant wait to get this installed. I had a Joplin a few years ago that was rebuilt several times and then replaced with a Kronolog when they first came out, and immediately sold it. I've had a Reverb that's been rebuilt and then replaced under warranty, so I'm hoping this Thomson holds up a bit better. I was going back and forth between it and the KS Lev, but the reviews seemed a bit more favorable on the Thomson.

Mtbr minion
    May 2006
    Has anyone tried to use a different cable like Jagwire with the Thomson?

mtbr member
    Any shifter wire should work fine. I used some SRAM stainless pitstop cable on one of mine, and used Shimano SP41 housing on both.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My Thomson Elite Dropper I purchased in mid-August failed on me a few months back and I just now got around to sending it in to Thomson for replacement. After a couple of weeks of owning the post, the return rate of the seatpost became extremely slow and the seatpost actually failed to consistently return back to its full height. I had to pull up on it to ensure it returned to its full height. I'm not exactly sure what caused this, but I speculate that the nitrogen charge in the post leaked.

When I first called Thomson about the problem a few months ago, the guy I spoke to said it could be malfunctioning because of the collar being loose. He recommended that I check it's tightness and use a strap wrench to tighten it up if it was loose. The collar was loose, however, tightening it did not resolve the issue. I let the issue sit for a while because I became distracted with my academic obligations and rarely had time to ride.

A little over a week ago I gave Thomson a call again and spoke with a different guy by the name of David Parrett. When I told David that I tried to tighten the collar to resolve the issue, he rudely said that the collar had nothing to do with the problem and that I needed to send the seatpost in for repair, but likely replacement. I simply said that the initial guy I spoke with at Thomson had told me to try and give the collar a tightening.

I sent the seatpost in and dropped David an email letting him know it was in the mail. I also remembered that Thomson had an offer for a free stem that expired in mid-September of last year. Thomson had pulled that coupon mail in offer early and I emailed David in late August asking if he'd still honor it. He told me to send the email in with my proof of purchase and stem choice and he'd honor it. Well, school started and I completely forgot to mail in the offer. In the recent email I sent David, I boldly asked if he'd still honor the free stem offer and take my broken seatpost as a proof of purchase. He failed to return my email, so I sent him a follow up email a week later assuming that my initial email fell through the cracks. He instantly replied saying that they had received my seatpost and that they were sending me a replacement. He also said that the offer was far too old to still honor, which I assumed would be the outcome, but it didn't hurt to try in my opinion. I think I offended David by asking him to honor the offer because the fashion in which he wrote the follow up email was, again, rather rude.

Fortunately, Thomson was cool enough to replace, but when you drop $400+ dollars on a seatpost, that kind of service is sort of expected. I'm not bitter about David turning down my offer request, but I am a bit thrown off by that guy's rudeness. Maybe I'm too sensitive...

Wondering if anyone else has had an Elite Dropper seatpost failure similar to this and/or rude dealings with Mr. David Parrett?

mtbr member
    I haven't chatted with David on the phone, but a few times via email. Always got right back to me that day, next at the latest, and was always very helpful.

His responses were normally short, which maybe came off as rude to you? But they didn't ever come off as rude in my eyes.

Nothing but love for these posts. I have two.

mtbr member
    Hello. I have an installation question:

What do you use on your post inside the seat tube? Friction paste? Anti-seize?

The instructions say to tighten the seatpost collar to not more than 5 Nm. That's not a lot of torque, the same as for a carbon part.

The instructions do not specify what to use, either.

Thanks!

Edit: I didn't specify; it's an alloy frame.
    Last edited by MootsRider; 01-25-2014 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Not sure about the Thompson post, but I know my Reverb instructions specified carbon friction paste. Too much torque on the seat collar is bad for dropper posts as it can crush the inner and outer tubes together, causing binding in the post when dropping (or raising for that matter). That's why it is also a good idea to not use a standard QR collar, as they are a lot easier to over-torque.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Mine was from the first batch with the loosening collars. I fixed it after learning about the issue, and after cleaning/loctite/torque, the collar stayed tight. The damage however must already have been done, as the post began to develop play, both fore/aft and side to side. Then it developed a quarter inch of vertical play. It felt like something was crunching inside when pushing down on the post, no bueno.

I contacted Thomson about the issue and David Parrett, quickly responded saying that I should send it in. Mailed it off, turnaround time was quick, my email inquires were always responded to promptly, the email messages were short and not particularly detailed, but quick none the less.

A brand new post showed up a week and a half later. The replacement feels great so far, hopefully this one won't have the same assembly issues as the first run apparently did. Overall I'm pretty stoked on the warranty process and I have no complaints in regards to customer service.

Maybe the dude was just having a bad day, who knows. As long as they stand behind their product and deal with issues in a timely manner I can't complain.

mtbr member
    Kiwi:

Yes, both the Reverb and KS Lev instructions specify friction paste. I wonder why Thomson makes no mention of it in their instructions.

They do say to only use grease, and not friction paste or anti-seize, on the securing bolts for the seat clamp.

But they don't say anything about installing the post on the bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The appropriate lube probably depends as much on the frame material as the post itself.

I use carbon paste on the dropper in my carbon frame, and I use generic grease on the dropper in my aluminum frame. I've had no issues with slipping in either case.

I could probably use carbon paste on both. I can't imagine any harm from using carbon paste on an alloy/alloy interface, and it presumably has more friction than normal grease.

But using normal grease on any seatpost in a carbon frame is generally frowned upon.

The Fastest of Bananas
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    The appropriate lube probably depends as much on the frame material as the post itself.

I use carbon paste on the dropper in my carbon frame, and I use generic grease on the dropper in my aluminum frame. I've had no issues with slipping in either case.

I could probably use carbon paste on both. I can't imagine any harm from using carbon paste on an alloy/alloy interface, and it presumably has more friction than normal grease.

But using normal grease on any seatpost in a carbon frame is generally frowned upon.
    More on the frame than the seatpost. The seatpost is anodized aluminum, which is mostly inert, and really needs whatever the frame calls for.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I used friction paste with mine because of the low clamp torque spec. Don't want to have the post move on me. My previous dropper post (Joplin) would creep down with regular grease. Normally I'd just tighten the collar more, but with dropper posts it's a bad idea to exceed recommended torque specs. So far so good, shouldn't hurt anything, might dull the anodizing a bit over time, but otherwise shouldn't cause any problems.

mtbr member
    I sent an email to Thomson this morning (Saturday), not expecting a reply until Monday at the earliest.

David sent me this reply an hour after my email:

"Light grease on a metal frame, no grease or paste on a carbon frame.
    5Nm should hold it fine."

Thomson is awesome!

And thanks for the replies, everybody.

Now I'm gonna to install this bad boy...

Edit: I didn't specify; it's an alloy frame. So I'll go with light grease, as suggested.
    Thanks again for the replies.
    Last edited by MootsRider; 01-25-2014 at 06:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteox View Post
    Ok, in the pic you'll see the gap between the lower cradle (which holds the bottom of the seat rails) and where it sits in the concave section on the top end of the actual post. They are a different radius to each other, which is why you can see the light coming through.
    Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    Noticed the same thing and emailed thomson. They said, it's a new design and intentional.
    Thank you for this. I noticed it on my new post, too.

mtbr member

Carbogrip from Effettomariposa is a good solution too, is very effective and does not damage the anodizing.
    if you have time left after a ride...you could have ridden more!

unrooted
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Is this normal? It works fine, but I really don't think it should be doing this.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    That doesn't look right to me. Best to email Thomson about it.

Scott is a tool.

Re: Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

That doesn't look right to me. Best to email Thomson about it.
    Agreed.

mtbr member

Just bought one, but Will arrive in Italy next month (using friend as delivery man to save shipping costs).
    I hope thompson will solve the problem in the posted video.
    Last edited by ironbelly; 02-15-2014 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Boy, you guys are slow. I posted here because it was 8pm on a Friday in GA. I didn't think I'd hear from Thomson until Monday. I sent Thomson an email right after I posted here. To my surprise, David got back to me in less than 5 minutes. I also found out he was in Las Vegas for the weekend. Can you say," Best Customer Service Ever"! When I'm on vacation, I only reply to email's once a day.

As for my problem, the shaft was too loose. It was the grub screw that holds the activator shaft in. It was about a 1/4 turn loose. I retightened it like David told me to and now all is well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erikblank View Post
    Boy, you guys are slow. .
    Sorry....feel free to take it out of my pay.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by erikblank View Post
    As for my problem, the shaft was too loose. It was the grub screw that holds the activator shaft in. It was about a 1/4 turn loose. I retightened it like David told me to and now all is well.
    Good to hear you got it resolved so quickly; I'll keep an eye on mine periodically.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I had exactly the same problem with my dropper a few months ago. It was an early production post.
    I sent email to Thomson on a Saturday and Dave P responded within 3 hours !!!
    He was very nice over email. After a few debugging steps ( I sent him a video of the dropper not responding properly) he told me he would send a replacement and I could return the defective one when I got the new one. He did.
    Only problem is that I had to have knee surgery and I've not really gotten a chance to ride the new one much. Hope they have not had too many defects like this.

Scott is a tool.

Another one bites the dust....

So, not too happy.

My post has developed the fore and aft slop that some on here have talked about, it has also got 2-3mm of vertical play when I sit on the bike, which gives out a lovely clunk whenever I sit on the bike.

I've emailed the place I bought it from here in Australia, just need to find out if warranty is via them, or direct with the distributor.

After having multiple warranty failures with my LEV, I was really hoping those days were behind me.

Fingers crossed for a quick resolution, just hope that the Aussie distributor is as cool as the head office crew at Thomson. If so, I'll be sweet.

Cheers.

Climbs = necessary evil

After 8 months of use, mine started having issues returning to full extension (up) quickly. It'd pop back 2/3 of the way fast and then slowed down for the rest of the rise. They are warranting it without any hassle.

mtbr member

I thought that the slow final part of the extension was a wanted thing, that it was engineered to act like that..

Climbs = necessary evil

Quote Originally Posted by ironbelly View Post
    I thought that the slow final part of the extension was a wanted thing, that it was engineered to act like that..
    Humm, the shop servicing my bike was the one who pointed it out and called Thompson. I didn't actually see the issue myself and hadn't used the dropper feature much during my winter riding. I just took their word for it not being right. They said the last section of rise was really slow. I do think it is supposed to slow down so it doesn't slam up but they made it sound out of the norm.

Pivoteer
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Humm, the shop servicing my bike was the one who pointed it out and called Thompson. I didn't actually see the issue myself and hadn't used the dropper feature much during my winter riding. I just took their word for it not being right. They said the last section of rise was really slow. I do think it is supposed to slow down so it doesn't slam up but they made it sound out of the norm.
    The travel slows down the last 15mm of travel. Not that it is needed, the normal speed is excellent.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The replacement post that I received after my initial one had a few issues has been bombproof so far (granted I have only gone on 6 rides)
    lol. It looks like Thompson joined the crowded field of unreliable dropper posts on the market.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by happyriding View Post
    lol. It looks like Thompson joined the crowded field of unreliable dropper posts on the market.
    Thats been evident for months. I'm about to send in the my 3rd replacement for service because the collar keeps coming loose and it has developed 3-5mm of play. On top of that it makes a weird squelching noise pretty often.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast