Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Ninja Master Powers
    Got my first real ride on the new post today.

In a word AWESOME…

So smooth, like butter. The only thing was I'm so used to the "clunk" my KS made both going up and down I found myself double checking to make sure the post was working when I raised and lowered it.

There jus isn't any noise, it just works smoothly and quietly. The other thing I noticed is when it's down and you happen to lift the bike by the saddle, it doesn't move. The post just stays where it is.

Quiet, rock solid and reliable, it perfect.

mtbr member
    Gave it a good run in the mud today. The Thompson worked just as well after the ride as it did before. Love this thing!!

Whether you're peddling or twisting the wrist...you're still riding on two wheels...and that's good enough for me

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Tapcon, unless you ordered the under seat lever won't be in the box. Thomson sells them as a "accessory" if you want one you gotta buy it.

It also does not come with a noodle, at least mine didn't have one either.
    If you noticed when you tightened the set screw on the cable the it really isn't necessary. Just adjust the cable.

My KS came with a noodle, but I never used it. He KS needed one, talk about a pain in the a#s cable install, the KS would what you would be talking about.

The new Thomson is a super easy to install by comparison. I had mine done in 20 minutes not counting the time spent running to the store to get housing and a new cable that were long enough.
    I have never spent more then 20 minutes installing KS posts (i950 / LEV) or the Thomson. Not sure where you went wrong w the KS install but it is really a wash for that aspect of it.

Thomson feels smoother, but the LEV has the non moving cable. Really depends what is more important to you (the buyer) at this point.

Propr

Bandit29 w/Thomson Elite Dropper

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread-942173_10200409718220455_1100466638_n.jpg

I saved my spare change for over a year for this thing and I'm glad I waited.
    10 TransAM 1x9
    S-Works M2
    Nomad3cc xx1

Ninja Master Powers
    I should have my second Thonson dropper Monday or Tuesday. Nothing like a six month wait. Seems to be a theme with bike parts. I've been waiting for a set of CK hubs over a month now.

mtbr member
    The way the cable runs on my bike it is 100% a non issue. if every other dropper post in the world when to a non moving cable I would not even think for a secant about getting a new post because this is the best working post I have ever used and the cable is Never in the way or a problem, EVER!
    Last edited by ChevyM14; 06-17-2013 at 08:21 AM.
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnydrz View Post
    Don't want to steal this thread but...

I really like that cable guide at the bottom of the seatpost. I've tried the double ziptie approach but it "floats" around too much. Anyone have ideas on applying this method to other dropper seatposts?
    Get a Specialized seat clamp that has the guide built in, it's what I'm using on my TBc
    Ibis Mojo 3
    Carver 420 TI
    Lenz Lunchbox punkass

mtbr member
    Does anybody know whos has a 30.9 in stock for sale? all I have been able to find is the 31.6. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    At the time of this post, Bikeman.com shows stock (a very good shop)

Quote Originally Posted by J.R.A. View Post
    Does anybody know whos has a 30.9 in stock for sale? all I have been able to find is the 31.6. Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Thanks chunkylover. That price is a little more than I want to pay, have found them cheaper but everybody is out of stock.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

30.9 in stock at Backcountry.com

Showing 20 pieces in stock of 30.9.

$415 and free shipping, but no discount codes I'm aware of.

Ninja Master Powers
    Installed my second Thomson on my sons Nomad Friday. Rode it Friday and today in Mammoth. These posts are awesome, worth every penny paid for them.

They are as solid as a solid post and drop smoother than any other post I've tried.

mtbr member
    This is a brilliant post, there's no slop, it just works. Been riding mine for a month. Highly recommended.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    OK, the availability issues with this post are apparently a thing of the past.

Universal Cycles is showing > 200 units of 30.9 and > 50 units of 31.6 available to ship today.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    Finally had time to get my KS off and install my new Thomson.
    Got a short ride in on it tonight, I love this post. The thing is sooo smooth it looks and works beautifully.

The only bummer is that the cable and housing that came with the post was too short, I had to get new housing and cable. It's really too bad to because the housing that is included is way cool.

Here's a few picks of the work in progress …

Damn that garage is clean......................and the cute pup makes it even that much more intolerable.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I may have to get this post for looks alone. My GD is butt ugly........but it has always worked .......................... since 2009

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    OK, the availability issues with this post are apparently a thing of the past.

Universal Cycles is showing > 200 units of 30.9 and > 50 units of 31.6 available to ship today.

STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wallet is starting to buzz and get itchy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Cable/housing is WAY short

So I'd seen multiple comments from early adopters that the remote cable/housing that ships with the post was short, so I was expecting to face the same situation since I'm on an XL frame. But I was really surprised just how short the included cable/housing was . . . it was a full 10 inches shorter than my current setup.

The absolute minimum length I could run, and still pass a "bar twist during crash" length limit test, was more than 6 inches longer than the stock 45 inch housing.

I've seen Thomson's replies in their facebook page, stating that they wanted the stock version to "fit the vast majority of bikes without cutting." But it seems to me that they missed that mark by a significant bit. I'd be surprised if a size L frame with typical width bars and typical low-standover top tube could use the stock housing/cable. Even some M frames might need longer.

So in their effort to eliminate any cutting for a supposed majority, my perception is that Thomson's housing length means that a substantial set, perhaps majority, will need to not only cut, but to go buy housing and cable, before they can set up their posts.

Or is my setup just weird? Do most folks keep things short/tight and not worry if the bars ever take a 180 degree turn?

mtbr member
    The cable length was perfect for me.

My measurements are: TT center to center is 23.75", 16.5" seat tube, 4.5" of post exposed, 50mm stem, 720mm bars. Lever is mounted inboard of brake lever (about 7.75" from the end).

I'm probably at the limit though. I can see how an XL frame would need different housing. Should be pretty quick to just get some longer housing. It's about a 1 min job to measure, cut and add endcaps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm still waiting for the under the seat lever. I only want this post to switch in and out with my regular post and don't want to constantly rerun the cable

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Just installed my new thomson dropper post. Really happy with it so far. I'm coming from a crank bros joplin 4 and immediately I am impressed with the thomson. Firstly the extra inch of drop is great, super smooth and easy motion. Love that it stays down even if you lift up on the saddle, and absolutely zero play in the post. Much better clamp, and the build quality is really good.

One thing that's a bit awkward is the cable routing from the remote. I ended up using a brake noodle to route the cable 90 degrees right out of the lever. This really helped the cable tuck in and not stick way out. Stoked to get it out on the trail and give this thing a proper test!Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread-img_0862.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread-img_0861.jpg  

Climbs = necessary evil
    Just ordered mine today - a nice anniversary present from my wife!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    This is the Elite model, so do you think there will be a Masterpiece Dropper like they have a Masterpiece seatpost?

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Just ordered mine today - a nice anniversary present from my wife!
    I have two rides on it installed on the RIP9. It's super smooth in operation, zero side to side wiggle, and like others have noted, it's quite when it pops back up to full extension.

My only complaint and it's minor, is the cable housing provided it a bit short for my large RIP9 so I need to get some more and redo the cabling. When I turn hard right, it stretches the cable which rides up above the frame near the seatpost, but does not affect the raising and lowering of the seat. It's more an OCD thing than a real flaw. I'd just prefer the cable housing stay under the top tube through the full range of motion until it comes up to the seatpost.

mtbr member
    ^
    I had the same problem with the cable housing being too short for my medium Jet9 RDO. The stock housing was about 5-6" too short. I ended up getting a longer piece of shift cable/housing from my LBS and ran the dropper cabling along the externally routed rear brake housing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    My only complaint and it's minor, is the cable housing provided it a bit short for my large RIP9 so I need to get some more and redo the cabling. When I turn hard right, it stretches the cable which rides up above the frame near the seatpost, but does not affect the raising and lowering of the seat. It's more an OCD thing than a real flaw. I'd just prefer the cable housing stay under the top tube through the full range of motion until it comes up to the seatpost.
    You definitely need to lengthen the housing.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    ^
    I had the same problem with the cable housing being too short for my medium Jet9 RDO.
    This is exactly as I expected. Thomson's stated goal was to "provide a no-trim fit for the majority of bikes" but they seemed to have missed the mark by a large bit when folks on medium bikes find the housing several inches too short. Their reference bike must have used narrow bars, a short stem and cable routing along the top of the top tube.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thomson now shipping w/ 15 inch longer cable/housing

Coincidentally I just heard back from Thomson on the length complaint. They've apparently heard broad feedback and responded. They say posts are now shipping with a 15 inch longer cable/housing.

Glad they figured it out.

I've been whining about the cable length, but other than that nit, the post has been perfect so far. If the reliability proves as good as expected, its a winner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    This is exactly as I expected. Thomson's stated goal was to "provide a no-trim fit for the majority of bikes" but they seemed to have missed the mark by a large bit when folks on medium bikes find the housing several inches too short. Their reference bike must have used narrow bars, a short stem and cable routing along the top of the top tube.
    fwiw, large frame, wide bars, 50mm stem, routing along the bottom of the top tube... the routing was perfect... but not an inch to spare.

Glad they increased the housing length. It's easy to cut down housing... hard to extend one that's too short

mtbr member

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

No ride yet. Brand new wheel is still wet. The gold frame looks amazing with the Thompson.

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by jkidd_39 View Post
    No ride yet. Brand new wheel is still wet. The gold frame looks amazing with the Thompson.
    Wet wheel?

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by RoweVelo View Post
    Wet wheel?
    Taco'd my front wheel. Built a new one. Gotta let the linseed oil dry on the nipples before you ride.

This is always what I've been told

mtbr member
    Anyone have the under seat lever yet?
    Too many toys, not enough time.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Anyone find the 2mm grub screw a little flimsy? I found that I was quite nervous tightening down the cable with it.

Thomson mentions they have a different screw if this one is not working properly?

Other than that this is an awesome dropper post.

mtbr member

yep

Quote Originally Posted by dump View Post
    You definitely need to lengthen the housing.
    I tried to get away with the stock length on my Yeti SB66 size medium, and ended up ripping out the cable (split the ferrule at the remote) during at crash at the Megavalanche this past weekend....was ****ty not having a working post thereafter. Not gonna make the mistake of running too short a cable again...

smartass
    My cable housing was too short as well, on a medium Santa Cruz Nickel. Granted, I needed a bigger cable loop than I wanted so it didn't hang up on the pivot, but it was too short even without that extra.

I used a flexible cable noodle to allow routing under the brake lever for a cleaner look:
    Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread-photo-3-.jpg

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread-photo-4-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2011

Top coming unscrewed.

Keep an eye on the top of your post it can come unscrewed. It's where the plastic cable guide clips on. Not sure why? But mine did after a couple of rides. The post seems very well made so it was probably a manufacturing issue, won't be able to say until I've had a few more rides on it.

What you will notice is front and back freeplay. I was a little disappointed at first because I thought it was going to be a characteristic of this post. It turns out the top piece is threaded to the main tube and it had started to come loose. I gave it a snug by hand and it took away the freeplay. Unfortunately I don't have a spanner big enough to put a wrench on it. Plus I'm not sure how tight it should be.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by canuck_tacoma View Post
    Anyone find the 2mm grub screw a little flimsy? I found that I was quite nervous tightening down the cable with it.

Thomson mentions they have a different screw if this one is not working properly?

I got two of these posts and both times the cable and housing were way too short for my XL frames. I had no problems with setting up my 30.9 post, but on my 31.6 post I ended up stripping the set screw trying to stop the cable slippage. I emailed Thomson on a Saturday night and they got back to me first thing Monday morning. They sent me a new longer cable and housing along with a new set screw and I had everything setup and running by Thursday afternoon. Pretty damn good customer service and I'm really liking the new post way more than the Reverb I have (and need to sell asap).

By the way, I'm a really big rider and I think I'll be a good test to see how this post holds up. My Reverb, which I haven't used for the past 6 months, only lasted around 5 months before taking it in for warranty issues.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

I had the same reaction to the grub screw. And I generally don't like when any bike components have wrench sizes below 3mm. Given the tried and true solutions for cable anchors that have been used for decades in derailleurs, I'm surprised Thomson didn't find a more robust solution.

That said, I didn't have any problems with setup or with slipping cables. So far, everything has been functionally excellent for one month of use.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Seems like this thing is solid.
    I just installed a LEV that crapped out on the first ride...

Maybe spending the extra cash would have been a good idea.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

smartass

What you will notice is front and back freeplay. I was a little disappointed at first because I thought it was going to be a characteristic of this post. It turns out the top piece is threaded to the main tube and it had started to come loose. I gave it a snug by hand and it took away the freeplay. Unfortunately I don't have a spanner big enough to put a wrench on it. Plus I'm not sure how tight it should be.
    Thanks for that, mine just did the same thing, but the play went away after a hand tighten. Think I'll still call Thomson to see if it's normal, and how tight it should be.

mtbr member
    Had the same deal with mine. Put about a 1/4 turn on it and any play went away.
    2012 FatBack with BFL tires
    2010 Specialized StumpJumper FSR Expert
    2006 Specialized RockHopper

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by amish_matt View Post
    Thanks for that, mine just did the same thing, but the play went away after a hand tighten. Think I'll still call Thomson to see if it's normal, and how tight it should be.
    NP.....this is something good to catch right away before damage occurs. Glad I caught mine. I just hope that this isn't going to be a constant issue and it just needed to be tightened. If it comes loose again I will report back.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by masonmoa View Post
    I got two of these posts and both times the cable and housing were way too short for my XL frames. I had no problems with setting up my 30.9 post, but on my 31.6 post I ended up stripping the set screw trying to stop the cable slippage. I emailed Thomson on a Saturday night and they got back to me first thing Monday morning. They sent me a new longer cable and housing along with a new set screw and I had everything setup and running by Thursday afternoon. Pretty damn good customer service and I'm really liking the new post way more than the Reverb I have (and need to sell asap).

By the way, I'm a really big rider and I think I'll be a good test to see how this post holds up. My Reverb, which I haven't used for the past 6 months, only lasted around 5 months before taking it in for warranty issues.
    Good they took care of you. Just curious if it was a different /revised screw? Or a warranty replacement?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    here's mine, mounted on my medium Spitfire V2.

Housing was just long enough but still had to cut the cable a bit (about 5cm).

none at none in Genève, Switzerland - photo by superq - Pinkbike
    none at none in Genève, Switzerland - photo by superq - Pinkbike

I've been riding with it for a few days now and I'm pretty satisfied. Return speed is good and lever just feels spot on !

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good they took care of you. Just curious if it was a different /revised screw? Or a warranty replacement?
    To be honest, I didn't really look that close at it because it's kind of a little itty bitty screw. Supposedly it's different from the first one I stripped but used the same size allen wrench. I went on their website and read their blog after I stripped mine out trying to stop the slippage and found it could be a problem. I guess you could say it was a warranty replacement as it didn't cost me anything. I'd say if you have a problem with your cable slipping you can contact them and they'll get you a new screw, but like I said in my previous post, only one of my posts had an issue, and like the saying goes "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Went for a ride today to test out the new 31.6 post and I love these things. So buttery smooth and they just feel solid. Granted I only got a handful of rides on them, but my Reverb starting make noise and had play in it after only a couple of rides.

Just A Mountain Biker.

So....any updates on the 27.2mm post?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi guys,

Anyone with their post notice the radius on the post is larger than the guts? Surely they should be the same to allow full contact and adjustability? I have some serious daylight coming through and I feel it would create some problems down the line.

Other than that and the little cone washers breaking in and coming loose (check these!) it has been amazingly solid.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteox View Post
    Hi guys,

Anyone with their post notice the radius on the post is larger than the guts? Surely they should be the same to allow full contact and adjustability? I have some serious daylight coming through and I feel it would create some problems down the line.

Other than that and the little cone washers breaking in and coming loose (check these!) it has been amazingly solid.
    Not following you.....can you explain?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Sorry, should've been more clear with my description!

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about.

Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread-img_0994.jpg

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast