mtbr member
    Oct 2012

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread

In search of the perfect ergonomic hand position, I have compiled a list of swept back handlebars, sorted by the sweep angle: (width, weight and rise in brackets)

Misfit NUbar 15* (600mm 253g)
    On-One Fleegle 15* (Pro 660mm 240g, Reg 716mm 330g)
    Salsa Bend 2 17* or 23* (710mm ~305g 5* up)
    Answer Carbon 720 Enduro 20/20 20* (720mm 220g 20mm rise)
    Groovy Luv Handle 21* (660mm 380g)
    Bontrager Crivitz 25* (690mm 270g)
    Origin8 Space Carbon UL8 O.R. 25* (685mm 170g)
    Watson Cycles Ti Watts Parkarino Rev 26* 31* 32* (680-720mm ?g)
    Carver myTi 29* (710mm 320g )
    TiCycles Double S 30* (680mm 192g thin or 340g thick)
    Origin8 Bullnose w stem 30* (660mm ?g 12* rise 150mm stem)
    Nashbar Comfort 30* (720mm ?g 23mm rise)
    NC-17 trekking 4.5 Super Riser 32* (630mm 343g 114mm rise)
    Misfit FUbar 33* (635mm 378g 26mm rise)
    Velo Orange Milan 35* (570mm 278g)
    Misfit FU2bar 37* (600mm 351g 26mm rise)
    On-One Mary 40* (645mm 289g 37mm rise)
    Origin8 Space O.R. II 40* (610mm 350g 37mm rise)
    Soma Clarence 40* (660mm 390g 37mm rise)
    Soma Sparrow 40* (490mm-560mm 245-300g 50mm rise)
    Jeff Jones H Bar 45* (Loop 680mm 502g, Cut 610mm 430g)
    FSA Metropolis 45* (620mm 300g 32mm rise)
    Surly Open Bar 53* (666mm 458g 0mm rise or 40mm rise)
    Velo Orange Tourist 60* (570mm 332g 75mm rise)

I have left out the many riser bars which offer 10-11* sweep. Also left out the Nitto full 90* sweep bars. I think I'd like to include the dirt-drop bars, but cannot figure out sweep numbers for the Woodchipper, Midge, WTB Dirt Drop, Ragley Luxy... Not sure what to make of the trekking butterfly bars - they don't really appear to provide sweep.

I'd love to be able to experiment with small increments of both rearward sweep and downward sweep to find the perfect angle/bars.

Let me know which ones I've missed, and I'll add them to the list.
    Last edited by TooSteep; 04-08-2013 at 12:13 PM.

I like pie.
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    In search of the perfect ergonomic hand position, >snip< .I'd love to be able to experiment with small increments of both rearward sweep and downward sweep to find the perfect angle/bars.
    For Whom?

After 20 years...I have it figured out-for Me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
    For Whom?

After 20 years...I have it figured out-for Me.
    For whom? For each rider base on their anatomy, body position and ultimately - purpose. My purpose is comfort during long sessions of relatively easy riding. I'm seeking comfort from being in a natural, neutral postion with minimal tension - which means that the bar I am gripping needs to be swept backwards and downwards. That allows for a natural neutral position for my spine, back and shoulders.

Hence my investigation of sweep options. I'm just posting the results of my search as raw data. It's always nice to have a concise list of one's options. Do what you want with it.

mtbr member
    I like the ones that angle forward first so they don't impact your stem length requirements. Tho, I suppose a shorter reach could be useful if you're trying to fit a bike that has a long toptube. I've been a fan of the Fleegle for a few years--that 15-degrees feels about right. But since I tried the Salsa 17-degree Bend, I think I have a new fav. That 5-degree upslope really feels good! It's not enough of an improvement to rush out and replace the Fleegles on my current bikes, but for any bikes I build up in the future, the Bend is the way to go.

Dab-O-Matic
    The Syntace Vector (carbon) has a 12* sweep. I like this bar, however I have noticed that it doesn't have enough angle to keep the wrist in a neutral position, so I'm looking for a more or less straight carbon bar with a 15*-20* grip bend (last 8" or so).

Also, I'm curious how a higher sweep angle bar will do on gnarly downhill sections? I know it helps when climbing, but some have noted that the higher sweep angle >20* is disconcerting going downhill.
    Last edited by Simplemind; 07-27-2013 at 12:49 PM.

saddlemeat
    Sixfifty Maid bar, 680 mm, 31.8, $30. Sweep similar to a Mary but wide and robust.

New Sixfifty Maid Bar Black 31 8 Clamp 680mm on One Mary Bar Mountain Bike | eBay
    I ride with the best people.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Looking at handlebars and found this. oldglorymtb.com alternative mountain bike handlebars. pictures and complete specs

Dr Gadget is IN
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1324 View Post
    Looking at handlebars and found this. oldglorymtb.com alternative mountain bike handlebars. pictures and complete specs
    Here's the link:

Alternative or "Alt" Mountain Bike Handlebar Round Up | Old Glory MTB - Mountain Biking Made In America

I used that a year or so ago, glad to see it's still up.
    This isn't a "you're doing it wrong" topic.

WSS/OSS: Open Source Sealant

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    SQlab GmbH - 314 City / Trekking Lenker, ergonomisch, City, Trekking, Bike. I would like to find some like these. Anybody seen anything like it from the US? I have seen similar angles, but nothing that comes this far back from the stem. The SQlab 345 is specifically what I was looking at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Maybe the NC-17 high riser?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1324 View Post
    SQlab GmbH - 314 City / Trekking Lenker, ergonomisch, City, Trekking, Bike. I would like to find some like these. Anybody seen anything like it from the US? I have seen similar angles, but nothing that comes this far back from the stem. The SQlab 345 is specifically what I was looking at.
    Soma Sparrow? Soma Sparrow 490/520/560 Bar

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I keep looking at that one too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Those SQ Lab bars look very interesting. The 335 trekking bar with 10* of downsweep really intrigues me for bikepacking. I've read that it is the same company that owns Syntace and a few other high-end brands. Do they have North American dealers?

SQlab GmbH - Handlebars, ergonomic, cross country, biking, mountain biking, all-mountain, trekking bike, city bike

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    No north american dealers that can supply these bars. Couldn't find a European exporter that is able to provide them either. Found a list of the the major european exporters. No go. Contacted a couple of German bike shops. No go. Now I have seen these bars with the comfort end grips. Really lusting after them now. Found them on a german or austrian amazon site. It let me sign in, so I tried to order them. No go. First time I have ever tried to internationally source anything. Probably other ways and means that I am completely clueless about. .will break my budget and order Jones Loop bars. Will try again on this bar in the future

mtbr member
    What about the Bontrager RL Big Sweep flatbar? I have two on my bikes and quite like it. Both have different sweeps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    thanks for the reply. Not enough sweep. What I am looking is a raiser with 45 degree sweep and most of the bar behind the stem, to bring the handlebars back towards me

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Love the Salsa Bend with 23 deg.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    2 other interesting new choices:

Misfit FME Bars: FME Bar Handlebar - PSYCLESTORE

Soma Gator Bars: Gator Handlebar | SOMA Fabrications

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Both of those are drop bars

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TooSteep View Post
    Those SQ Lab bars look very interesting. The 335 trekking bar with 10* of downsweep really intrigues me for bikepacking. I've read that it is the same company that owns Syntace and a few other high-end brands. Do they have North American dealers?

SQlab GmbH - Handlebars, ergonomic, cross country, biking, mountain biking, all-mountain, trekking bike, city bike

I bought the SQ Labs 311 from Radsports USA. It works perfect for me with 16 deg sweep and 50mm rise.

311 MTB Bar

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cool diagram on SQ Labs: The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread-capture.jpg

mtbr member
    Building my own! I shpuld have pics up soon - maybe false teeth soon as well...

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_A View Post
    Cool diagram on SQ Labs: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	3366 
Size:	26.8 KB 
ID:	994430
    SQ labs has some cool bars but I think not available in the USA

mtbr member

Custom made Integrated Bar/Stem

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread-img_0133_2.jpg

This was my first attempt at a comfortable bar. The angle is around the 42* mark, bar at 580mm width. As I was using Aero extensions, I made these a little too close together. The blood flow through the wrists greatly improved over flat/riser bars and I found that the leverage at the wide position was excellent as I was in a better mechanical position to lever the bar. The Aero position allowed for stable straight line tracking but being un-supporting of the forearms, a little too narrow. I found I preferred the junction position, but this was a touch too narrow also, especially if you got out of the saddle (it would want to throw you over the H/Bar).

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread-img_0208.jpg

This is my second attempt and very satisfying. It is setup on a 'new' bike that more correctly set me up for reach. This allowed me to ease the angle to 38* and 600mm wide. The corrections with width at the junction and Aero spacing allowed me to have full bike control in either 'Narrow' positions as well being very comfortable.

The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread-img_0218.jpg
    The Swept Handlebar Sweep Angle List thread-img_0219.jpg

The lessons I learned I pass on to you here. All people are physically different. I am tall (6' 2") and with longer arms found the slightly wider 600mm @ 38* perfect for me. I built a bike for my daughter and at 5' 6", we settled on 17* and 560mm. My bike is set up aggressive with a h/bar drop of 70mm. My daughters bike is up-right, h/bar sits 30mm above the saddle.

I illustrate this because in correctly bike fitting this area of the cockpit, the ideal position requires a lot of lateral thinking. I caution the 'cataloguing' form of purchase over first establishing what will fit you correctly. Do some Dumb stuff like get an old h/bar and prop yourself on your bike with the bar freehand and work reach/angles/drop or rise until you hit on your ideal and note the angles. You may need someone else to help you. The wrist angle is very important, keep the blood flow direct and the bonus is nerves also benefit. Once you have established the angles, width, and stem length, then look at the bar that will give you the optimum position.

You will not regret a good setup, and the alternative can look good.

Eric
    If I don't make an attempt, how will I know if it will work?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Sunderland View Post
    I bought the SQ Labs 311 from Radsports USA. It works perfect for me with 16 deg sweep and 50mm rise.

311 MTB Bar
    . Thanks for posting. In 2014 radsports said they wouldn't be getting SQ bars. Renewed hope!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Eric. Nice bars!