SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black
    (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    SB95c (retired)
    SB95a (retired)

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hello.... After moving the dust seal into the groove, how did you manage to take it out? It seems the $5 tool is preemptive, but now that it is stuck I can't take it out. (I'm learning the hard way, hope I had seen your post before...).

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    once you brake a couple it won't hold position anymore. reducing the rebound speed (or sit to slow it down) will reduce the chance to brake the collet. Do yourself a favor and order one now if you plan on replacing it (they are really hard to remove even with heat gun (used red thread) especially with most petals broken off) as it took Spec 2.5 months to get one! I ended up buying a spare used post so I wasn't waiting...

word of warning when cleaning. If you remove the white bushing, DO NOT move the dust seal near the groove or it will pop and that will be the end of it. I've learned it the hard way. 2+ month for the $5 'tool' to replace with a new $30 seal kit. Agrrr...

Hello.... After moving the dust seal into the groove, how did you manage to take it out? It seems the $5 tool is preemptive, but now that it is stuck I can't take it out. (I'm learning the hard way, hope I had seen your post before...).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by avigilg View Post
    I went to hardware store and bought a plastic hole cover (maybe 3/4" or 1") can cut it until it fit (dremel and sand off) using the ramp edge on one side to slide it in there. Pretty much what the Spec tool does, but half the width since you don't have much space in there now. Even with this crude ramp I had to hammer the heck of it to get it back - seal was damaged enough to not hold air too well, so I had to get it out (using my temporary adapter until the real one came, and a new seal).

I may have mine for sale, incl Spec tool, as I don't think I'll use my post anymore (switched brand on new bike).

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910