Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Go SOLAR...
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneReaction
    Man, this sucks! I'm small and even on my small frame, only 150mm of seatpost is out. 195mm is way too much =(
    I have called PUSH and they are looking at a fix. I did try the fishing line idea and it works pretty well. Every so often the line gets tangled in the seatpost clamp. All in all it is a good post....they can't make it to please everyone. They will come out with something..hopefully
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YaMon
    What the hell happened to the price, figured it would come down.....instead it has gone the other way. $300 bucks ??

Can get a KS for $220.

Like everything else in the world, they will charge what the market will pay. And people are paying.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by larlev
    I have called PUSH and they are looking at a fix. I did try the fishing line idea and it works pretty well. Every so often the line gets tangled in the seatpost clamp. All in all it is a good post....they can't make it to please everyone. They will come out with something..hopefully
    Hmm. I think I'll start a thread to see what shorter riders think of the reverb. Too much of a risk for me seeing that I'm a good 2-3" short of the min height.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I am also on the short side and I know that the reverb will be too long for my size, I have a small 09 Trance X3, since the reverbs post that goes in the seat tube is 7 3/8" (thanks to larlev) and the X3's tube is about 6.5 inches it will be sticking out at least 2 inches plus the 5 inches of travel will too long for me.

I was looking at the ks i950r 300mm 75mm drop. Does anybody have this size for the ks? I want to know how long the inner post is, its the one that goes in the seat tube (black tube).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbodog

I was looking at the ks i950r 300mm 75mm drop. Does anybody have this size for the ks? I want to know how long the inner post is, its the one that goes in the seat tube (black tube).
    I've got one at home, will measure it when I finish work in an hour or so.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneReaction
    Hmm. I think I'll start a thread to see what shorter riders think of the reverb. Too much of a risk for me seeing that I'm a good 2-3" short of the min height.
    how tall are you? I'm 5'5 1/2" and am running a reverb on a speci pitch and have no issues.
    nothing witty here...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2w4s
    how tall are you? I'm 5'5 1/2" and am running a reverb on a speci pitch and have no issues.
    I'm 162cm/5'4". On a Santacruz Chameleon.

Crappy phone pic:
    Highest I go is around 150mm.
    It's only about 140mm in the picture.

Ok, I must have been an idiot. It has been raining continuously the last few days, so I didn't get to go out. This morning it stopped raining and I cycled around my neighbourhood. Set the saddle at around 200mm, seems to be ok.

Last edited by LoneReaction; 02-12-2011 at 09:26 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbodog

145mm from the bottom to where it gets wider just below the red collar.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by half_man_half_scab
    This is my 2 week review:

I have been riding about 40 hours over the last 2 weeks now. The first week was great, it was performing flawlessly after a quick bleed. I really appreciate not just full extension and and the lowest position, but the entire spectrum of height as it can give me perfect height for tech climbs, and a reasonable resting height for extended downhills.

I'm now at the end of week two and it is noticeably more sluggish in compression and extension. I had to sit on the nose of the saddle for it to compress quickly enough, whereas before I could sit wherever I liked to compress it. Thinking it was maybe a bleed issue, I did a quick remote bleed, which yielded no change in performance.

I've been keeping it clean, and just tonight applied some float fluid I had lying around to the seal, which immediately sped things up. It's giving me a little bit of concern over the service intervals.

Anyone else having lubrication issues?
    Noticed decreasing performance again, so I inspected the whole system. Found a little bit of fluid on the hose near the remote barb. Turns out, there was a tiny nick on the cable. Cut off a few mils of hose and did a remote bleed, now it's faster than ever. I'm a happy camper again.

mtbr member
    Received mine (31.6 x 380) a few weeks ago and installed it last weekend.
    The lever is very sluggish and when I press it, NOTHING happens. The post doesn't go down at all (of course did this when sitting on the saddle). Nice.

I would need to shorten the hose anyway so I'll tune that and will do the bleeding. Hopefully it'll work after that...

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Oh, so that's what those o-rings were for. I am dumb.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitja
    How do you go about estimating the required tightening force without tools? Hand tight?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am having a little trouble in paradise! My Reverb just completely dropped on me while i was riding. I dont have enough fluid to rebleed (my buddy used it to lube the seals on his fork) the system and no one has any 2.5 locally to me. I also did notice that there was some fluid at the bottom of the seat post and inside my seat post tube! i can now just pull the post in and out with out any resistance

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    ugh....I really thought Rockshox could have gotten this thing right on the first try.
    Its clear that a large number of these are either completely DOA on arrival (even after bleeding which you should not have to do anyway) or fail very quickly

this thing is a complete POS, I wish I wasnt past the return period on mine and Im not looking forward to dealing with rockshox. if they pull that "only through a dealer" crap Im going to scream

my Kindshock has been going strong under abuse for almost a year. why didnt I just stick to what works...
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    ugh....I really thought Rockshox could have gotten this thing right on the first try.
    Its clear that a large number of these are either completely DOA on arrival (even after bleeding which you should not have to do anyway) or fail very quickly

this thing is a complete POS, I wish I wasnt past the return period on mine and Im not looking forward to dealing with rockshox. if they pull that "only through a dealer" crap Im going to scream

my Kindshock has been going strong under abuse for almost a year. why didnt I just stick to what works...
    Bit of an exaggeration here. Every product has failures. I've seen plenty on the Kind Shock. It's been perfect for myself and a lot of others, and I'm a pretty big guy. Besides, I'm sure SRAM will take care of you. Is it really that hard to go through a bike shop for warranty?

BTW, Darkstar why would you let your friend use your Reverb oil as lube?
    Gotta get up to get down.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well i ended up getting my hands on some 2.5 oil! but multiple bleeds and still not working!

Quote Originally Posted by BaeckerX1
    BTW, Darkstar why would you let your friend use your Reverb oil as lube?
    He was in a rush to take the spacers out of his Reba and needed some suspension fluid and asked if he could use it lol!

mtbr member
    Me and my girlfriend just got these posts, and they work great.

Just don't think you are going to mount them and ride. Neither of ours would even move out of the box, but no big deal, that is why they come with a bleed kit. The people that whine and cry because they won't work out of the box just need to take the time to bleed them first.

I had my girlfriend help me, and it literally takes 5 minutes to do a double end bleed. One syringe at the post, one at the remote. Push the fluid back and forth from syringe to syringe. Cap them off and ride. It really is Forest Gump easy to do.

Both of ours work smooth. Time will tell on the durability.

I'll say it again, "Bleed them before you use them!" And don't wast time just doing the one syringe bleed. The 2 syringe bleed is super easy and more effective.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here is a video of what im talking about

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="1280" height="750" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JF83MK4jmOo?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187
    Well i ended up getting my hands on some 2.5 oil! but multiple bleeds and still not working!

He was in a rush to take the spacers out of his Reba and needed some suspension fluid and asked if he could use it lol!

The bleed you're doing only effects the actuation hydraulics of the post. It's external to the seatpost internals.
    It appears your post itself has failed. Probably a failed seal since you're loosing fluid (and air?) out the bottom of the post.
    Post is still under warranty...

Nice looking Nomad...
    Last edited by MarkHL; 02-06-2011 at 03:29 PM.

jddist
    May 2008
    After 2 months I have got the same problem as Darkstar. SRAM sent my LBS a rebuild kit in hopes that will fix the problem. Now just and waiting on my LBS to do the rebuild. Hopefully this solves the problem and it doesn't happen again. BTW, I had to bleed the remote a number of times over past 2 months to keep it operating nice and quick.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I'm on my 3rd bleed so far in less than a month. I can't detect any leaks in the remote line, however, I pulled the post and noticed fluid inside the base around the 250psi cap, though I had assumed that was just slop from my full system bleed when I didn't wrap a towel around the post. There was a strange methagenous odor inside the seat tube as well.

After surveying people on the trail, it seems like I have much higher standards on return speed than average joe.

If I have to bleed it again I'm going to call SRAM. Mainly because the suspension fluid is pretty gnarly. I've been good about keeping it off my skin and hosing the offending areas down with isopropyl after a bleed, but the fumes alone make me sick.

Could you let me know how you rebuild goes, istvisinet, and how much it ends up costing?

jddist
    May 2008
    I will do a follow-up post with the results. One thing is for sure, I am not expecting to be charged anything, nor will I pay anything, since the post is only 2 month old.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Has anyone rebuilt a Reverb on their own? How difficult is it? Any videos? The KS rebuild looks easy as pie and is the front runner for my $200 at this point. I like the looks, weight and seat clamp on the Reverb better but if I have to mail it off every time I need it serviced, no go...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Like I said in the other thread, there doesn't appear to be much that can be serviced on the Reverb. The service kit includes the main wiper seal, a set of keys/bushings at the base and the schrader valve. The hydraulic piston itself is listed as non-serviceable.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by car_nut
    Like I said in the other thread, there doesn't appear to be much that can be serviced on the Reverb. The service kit includes the main wiper seal, a set of keys/bushings at the base and the schrader valve. The hydraulic piston itself is listed as non-serviceable.
    I'm not discounting what you said, I just want to see pics of someone doing it. I'm a visual learner

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well, so far I believe SRAM's general stance is that nothing is serviceable on the Reverb. I just figured that since they listed an exploded view with the PN's we might one day have access to the necessary parts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well my post is going to Sram for warranty! Ill let you guys know what they say!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkstar187
    Well my post is going to Sram for warranty! Ill let you guys know what they say!
    Thanks

Bought th 420mm (30.9) instead of the 380mm because it was the only one left in stock.. and the lbs says new stock comes in 3 months. (Can't buy online, live in Asia and buying from US = no warranty) Oh well, I'll cycle more to lose that 40grams from my body instead.

Going to fix it up when I get my bicycle back from servicing, and post pics.

mtbr member
    Oh man, my handle bar ran out of space (can't move in controls more because of bar diameter). Probably have to cut my 90mm grips down to 70mm.

Anyone using gripshifts too?

Not enough space!

After cutting grips..

Shortened the hose. Didn't have to bleed, even after shortening.
    My S size bicycle now weighs 13.8kg/30 pounds. LOL
    Last edited by LoneReaction; 02-13-2011 at 12:04 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tma
    Guys,
    Here's a couple of shots of my reverb and the routing I've made for the Giant Reign 2.
    DOWN
    Is everything still working OK for you? That routing looks dangerous! In a German MTB Forum someone reported that his cable broke with a similar routing. Right where the cable is coming out of the seatpost it broke. I wouldn't bend it so extrem!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Agree psychof I think it will break eventually it does not take much. I have already had to replace one my ignorance was to put the guide on the silver collar barely touched the bottom of the hose cover and done.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Got my Reverb today. The thing wouldn't move at all. Performed the full bleed (like after replacing the hose). I only saw a couple of small bubbles come out, but now it works fine. Good thing they include the bleed kit with the post!

jddist
    May 2008

Reverb back on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by istvisinet
    I will do a follow-up post with the results. One thing is for sure, I am not expecting to be charged anything, nor will I pay anything, since the post is only 2 month old.
    SRAM initially set my LBS a replacement hose for the remote which did not fix the problem, so they then just send a new replacement post and swapped out my original one no charge. This is exactly why I waited to get the reverb instead of pulling the trigger on the KS i950. I am confidant in SRAM's customer service.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by psychof
    Is everything still working OK for you? That routing looks dangerous! In a German MTB Forum someone reported that his cable broke with a similar routing. Right where the cable is coming out of the seatpost it broke. I wouldn't bend it so extrem!
    Not only that, but those knobbies should start to grab the hose at about 1/2 shock compression, let alone full bottom.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks like ill be getting a new post! should be here sometime this week..

mtbr member
    this day in my house :

mtbr member
    You can see that the hose in that photo is now changed to a hydraulic hose from the piece of crap single ply hose they had originally. I called them up thinking the old hose was causing me to have to bleed every couple months to preserve my speed and they did say they have gone away from the old style to hydraulic hose/fittings and I could have my LBS order in the replacement which I did. Should be here end of week or early next. I believe/assume this is all under warranty. Just a heads up, folks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    So those of you who have had these replaced/serviced under warranty, did you have to go through a LBS or will RockShox actually work with you directly?

mtbr member
    the hose is 2.00 mm / 5mm like a brake hose

jddist
    May 2008
    Boude, how did you get the rebuild/seal kit stuff. SRAM told my lbs that they have not had any problems with the posts other than the need to bleed them and there were not any rebuild kits/instructions available so they just sent out a new post to replace my dead one.

jddist
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    So those of you who have had these replaced/serviced under warranty, did you have to go through a LBS or will RockShox actually work with you directly?
    When I initially called SRAM I got the usual response which was I had to take the product to my LBS. SRAM would not deal with a non-reseller. Even though I love SRAM's customer service, this is one are that really pisses me off.

mtbr member
    I talked to my by LBS about buying a replacement hose, as mine was too short for what I wanted to do. The SRAM person said they were updating the hose from the previous verions (as posted above), and sent me a new hose kit no charge.
    SRAM rocks
    Maintain internal heights.

mtbr member
    This kit is sold by my rochshox dealer

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've been inspired to warranty my post. Customer service said they'll send out a new line. I don't see how upgrading the housing would resolve fluid seeping out from the bottom recess of the post, but it couldn't hurt. Updates as I go!

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Customer service?

I've been inspired to warranty my post. Customer service said they'll send out a new line. I don't see how upgrading the housing would resolve fluid seeping out from the bottom recess of the post, but it couldn't hurt. Updates as I go!
    Was this with customer service at RS? Or through the location you bought the post?

I got mine from Universal. Mines had to be topped off a half dozen times to keep it up to speed like some others here. I contacted them via email. Waiting to see if they can source the warranty parts for me as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Im going to flip my LID if RS wont deal with me directly.
    This thing has been a POS since I unwrapped it from the box, and considering I bought it online its a serious dick move to expect me to go to an LBS and ask them to spend their time to service a part I bought somewhere else. Not even mentioning the time and hassle when they could just send me the damn parts directly.

I have 3 RockShox products, 2 of them have come broken out of the box, and the other broke after 1 ride. Screw this company. Screw them in the ear.

mtbr member
    Glad you guys got yours sorted. How would I go about getting the new, better quality replacement hose if mine is still working fine? I mean I did have to bleed it once (not counting initial bleed), but I thought that was just because of the cold weather. Will that be enough for them to replace the hose for me? It just kind of sucks to have the crappier hose if they're selling them with a better quality one now. I guess I could go to a shop and ask, but I did buy it online since no shops could get any when it first came out.

Still, I'm very happy with the Reverb so far. I can't really complain too much as mine has worked pretty flawlessly so far.
    Last edited by BaeckerX1; 02-17-2011 at 01:43 PM.
    LMB

meow meow
    gotta say all this talk is making me a little nervous. for the couple rides i had on it my reverb was great but now im getting kinda worried what will happen when i start riding again more frequently.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    gotta say all this talk is making me a little nervous. for the couple rides i had on it my reverb was great but now im getting kinda worried what will happen when i start riding again more frequently.
    What are you worried about? The few who have had problems are a very vocal minority. And most of them have already been taken care of by SRAM with new posts. If you do have an issue, SRAM should take care of you. I wouldn't worry if you're not having any issues. Just go ride.

Mine's been fine, but I wouldn't mind a thicker, less flexy hose though if they're making them now.
    LMB

meow meow
    i know its just that it starts to creep into your mind yanno?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    It's just the nature of the beast. Lots of start up issues for most manufacturers and we're all paying for being on the bleeding edge.
    Today was my 75th ride on my mine with no serious issues. At this point, I'd say there is a bit more fore-aft play in the tube/housing fit but it's a very small amount. Additionally, if I push down on the post it will settle about .010" before locking solid. It may have done this from day one, or it may be a minor amount of mixing of nitrogen and oil in the IFP that is causing it. It too is insignificant and neither can be felt when riding. Basically, the post is still as smooth, quiet and functional as it was on the first ride. When it finally fails, I'll have to consider the cost of having it serviced, versus purchasing a new one.
    Last edited by MarkHL; 02-17-2011 at 06:38 PM.

Go SOLAR...
    Nothing is perfect....b-kul. No need to worry
    Go Solar...

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    They're shipping me a new one. Just have to wait for the storms to blow over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Well it seems that I too am one of the unlucky people to recieve a non functioning reverb.
    I got my post today, bought it online in the USA and had it shipped to me in Lima, Peru. the thing was stuck at full length with absolutly no budge at all. already having dealt with brand new RS products not working correctly out of the box, i wasnt suprised. i was surprised though that after 8 bleeds my post STILL has absolutly no movement. The trigger was also very stiff and on one occasion had the crappy hose jump off the trigger from the pressure.

Does anybody have an idea what could be going wrong with the post? the trigger is extremely stiff as if wherever the oil is supposed to displace is not going there, hence the hose jumping off episode.

im totally angry and bummed after waiting so long that this thing doesn't work.

BTW all bleeds were done by the book according to the sram vids on youtube.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Sounds like the main valve in the post is stuck. Not a good thing for sure!

CS to the rescue.... hopefully!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I had to wait almost two months from the time i purchased the post and it finally got to my hands, has anyone taken apart a reverb, maybe i can fix it without having to send it back to the US, spending more money and losing more time...

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Just broke off the cob webs today and rode around some of the local trails. I noticed my Reverb slowed down significantly during the winter hibernation. I'm thinking a lot of us are going to be bleeding our lines to get the season kicked off

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    My warranty hose is on it's way.

Sounds like RS is expecting a lot of calls on the old expanding housing. I contacted Universal Cycles about my issue and the fellow on the other end of the computer said they have a bunch of warranty hoses sitting just waiting for the calls. Contacted them one day, shipped out the next! No charge for the part or the shipping! Sweet!

Definately contact where you purchased your post from and inquire about the hose. RS seems to be on top of the issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DHperu
    Well it seems that I too am one of the unlucky people to recieve a non functioning reverb.
    I got my post today, bought it online in the USA and had it shipped to me in Lima, Peru. the thing was stuck at full length with absolutly no budge at all. already having dealt with brand new RS products not working correctly out of the box, i wasnt suprised. i was surprised though that after 8 bleeds my post STILL has absolutly no movement. The trigger was also very stiff and on one occasion had the crappy hose jump off the trigger from the pressure.

Does anybody have an idea what could be going wrong with the post? the trigger is extremely stiff as if wherever the oil is supposed to displace is not going there, hence the hose jumping off episode.

im totally angry and bummed after waiting so long that this thing doesn't work.

BTW all bleeds were done by the book according to the sram vids on youtube.
    My post seems to suffer from similar fault. Just bled it and it won't move at all.
    I bought mine from ChainReactionCycles in the UK. Will contact them and ask for a replacement or refund. Maybe the upcoming Fox post could be worth to wait...

UPDATE: I bled the remote with a quick bleed for the second time and lo and behold - it started to work!
    Last edited by Archangel; 02-20-2011 at 12:01 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I agree about SRAM/RS being on top of things. I broke my remote push button off after my front wheel washed out on me and I had to unclip and dab to save it. I somehow managed to catch my shorts on the button and SNAP! My LBS got them to warranty it and I got a whole new seatpost because they don't have small parts available yet except the new upgraded hose kit which they also sent with it. I was impressed with their willingness to win over a customer. By the way, I had mine mounted underneath on the left side of the bars. Not so sure that is a better place to put it than on top in the right.

#THELEGEND
    this is why I love my mechanical GD post!!! Thank you all for confirming my concerns!!

FWIW to anyone who cares, KS is going to be releasing a 150mm travel post sometime in the near future, YAAAAAY!
    #THELEGEND
    2016 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Just got mine. It looks quality. Totally digging the hydraulic remote. Mine looks like it was bled fine. Post pops up quickly but haven't given it the full test. It is really nice that it came with a bleed kit. I think Rock Shox did their homework and made a very competitive post. It weighs more than advertised. Mine came in at 540 grams on the digital scale but definitely not a deal breaker.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I have been having great luck with my reverb. It ultimately has been performing really well. Needed a remote bleed, but other than that not much else. I think my post has the old style housing though, I'm not sure.
    The one thing that is key to performance is the level of torque on the seatpost clamp. I mounted my post using friction paste so I didn't have to clamp down on the bolt so much. Too much pressure and the post feels sticky and slow. I would stay away from a quick release collar, as it would be hard to judge the level of torque.
    Does anybody know if you can just use an aftermarket hydraulic hose, or is the revrb hose different?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi
    I have been having great luck with my reverb. It ultimately has been performing really well. Needed a remote bleed, but other than that not much else. I think my post has the old style housing though, I'm not sure.
    The one thing that is key to performance is the level of torque on the seatpost clamp. I mounted my post using friction paste so I didn't have to clamp down on the bolt so much. Too much pressure and the post feels sticky and slow. I would stay away from a quick release collar, as it would be hard to judge the level of torque.
    Does anybody know if you can just use an aftermarket hydraulic hose, or is the revrb hose different?

I noticed the same thing about the seatpost clamp torque, i went to a non qr style and friction paste and just clamp it tight enough to keep the seat from rotating and it makes a huge difference in the seatpost performance.

I've had my post for going on 3 months and I've had to re-bleed it once after the initial set up. Looking back, i don't think the performance had declined I just realized that the speed of the action was slower than others so I'm guessing i still had a little bit of air in the line after the initial bleed (that was needed out of the box ). There is also a bit of side to side play in the seat but I don't notice it at all.

anyhow, I don't have any experience with other posts but so far I'm really happy with the reverb, I am going to get the new update hose though.
    nothing witty here...

Italian biker
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Archangel
    . Maybe the upcoming Fox post could be worth to wait...
    Any rumors about when it will be available?

mtbr member
    I had a go of the Reverb yesterday and also a CB Joplin, I am currently swaying more towards the KS i950 or the Fox when it arrives...

mtbr member
    2W4S---My new warranty hose looks like normal hydraulic hose but it also came with differrent barbs to change out. FYI.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ

Sounds like RS is expecting a lot of calls on the old expanding housing. I contacted Universal Cycles about my issue and the fellow on the other end of the computer said they have a bunch of warranty hoses sitting just waiting for the calls. Contacted them one day, shipped out the next! No charge for the part or the shipping! Sweet!

Definately contact where you purchased your post from and inquire about the hose. RS seems to be on top of the issue.
    Thanks for that bit of information. I ordered mine from Universal as well. I'll be contacting them today.

According to SRAM, you'll have to replace the hose barbs when you replace with the new hose. It sounds simple enough, that they just thread in. We'll see. I wish they had some better freaking diagrams or photos though.

http://www.sram.com/_media/techdocs/...%20Rev%20A.pdf
    LMB

Master of None

Mini-review

I've taken my new Reverb on two rides so far. I bought the 31.6/420 model.

Just out of the box, there was oil everywhere and it didn't compress. No biggie, the included bleed kit made it easy to bleed the remote and I needed to cut the hose anyway. A little bit of play in the post, but not noticable while riding. The seat clamp is a very nice two-bolt design. The hose barb at the remote seems a little hokey. The build quality is overall good.

First ride tests were very good. The post is smooth and quiet. If your weight is all the way at the rear of the seat it does bind up but all my dropper posts did this to some extent. After this ride I noticed the silver collar where the seal is mounted had loosened up. I tightened it and it seems fine so far.

So far very pleased! If the bushings were a bit tighter and the hose setup a bit better (I know they have a new one now) I would rate this 10/10.

Here is a pic of how I kept the hose from hitting my leg while in the compressed position, you can see I used a bit of bungee cord to tie the hose back:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Just out of the box, there was oil everywhere and it didn't compress.
    They really need to do something about that bottle of oil they include in the box. It's problematic, especially since they have to be shipped in the mail to the LBS or the customer who orders online. They need something that seals better. Not sure if this was the same case for you, but my bottle had leaked out a bunch of oil and this was the reason my box had oil everywhere. I can't even put it in a ziploc bag in my toolbox because if it's not completely upright it spills everywhere. I had a bunch of oil in the bag. It's strong smelling stuff too and it wants to get all over everything, so it's not pleasant to clean up. It wouldn't really be all that hard to use a better bottle in there, or put some kind of seal on it that you have to peel off first. Even a Nesquick bottle would work better. =/

It's not a deal breaker, and doesn't affect what I think about the post, but damn, crap like this is easy to fix. I don't like the idea that I lost half of my replacement fluid in the mail and I had to clean up a bunch of oil either.
    LMB

mtbr member

Mine is in the mail as well. I also had a quick and easy experience from Universal. I just talked to someone for a few minutes in the online chat, and one was sent at no charge with no questions asked. Good for them and SRAM for handling this the way they have.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I got my warrantied post in today with less than a week turnaround to boot! Right off the bat I was saddened to see that it did not include the new tubing. But after a bleed it worked about as well as the last one. Seems this one has less play. Time will tell if it keeps the fluid where it should be. My last one leaked from the bottom near the valve, which was the cause for my warranty. I am very sensitive to the suspension fluid they use. The fumes alone make me dizzy and sometimes give me stomach trouble, despite my nitrile gloves and Howard Hughes-like cleaning of everything with isopropyl. I would advise those with leakage issues to be very careful, as this stuff is gnarly. Strange, as I do not have similar issues with the suspension fluids in the forks I service.

I think I'll ***** to someone until they give me a new hose, and then hopefully I can have peace of mind.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Has anybody made a maintainance? What's the function of the pins i marked in the pic? Isn't a way to "adjust" the bushing play?

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bati
    Has anybody made a maintainance? What's the function of the pins i marked in the pic? Isn't a way to "adjust" the bushing play?

Does that say "Key" on the description? I'd take a guess and say those are keys used to keep the post from spinning. I see slots on various pieces such as the one in the diagram left of said keys and I'll bet there are straight grooves length wise(keyways?) inside part 4, the outer lower seatpost.

The keys probably stay with the inner lower collar assembly as they slide in their respective keyway slots inside the lower post.

Side to side bushing play is probably tough to fine tune with the way the Reverb is designed with the long adjustment range. ie, the bottom bushing assembly of the inner post, where the pins are, comes up and against the outer collar/bushing/seal assembly of the lower post at full extension and doesn't offer enough side to side control as all the bushing/collars that probably supports the side control, are now too close together. Lower the post and the play decreases. Make any of these bushings tighter (if thats even feasible) to fight play at full extension, etc. and you'll probably increase the chance of binding issues. Does that make any sense?

Keep in mind that all this nonsense is just a guess from looking at the diagram so theres a 99% chance I'm wrong
    Last edited by Tuff Gong; 02-24-2011 at 12:56 AM.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    I read somewhere in the SRAM website in regards to these keys that if you order replacement keys for repair, there are three different sized sets. Use of all matching keys in one of the three sets would balance tolorences between function and play. I've serviced Cannondale HeadShoks and Lefty's before and they use a similar system for tightening tolorences in their product. It's feasable that with the three sets, one could find a snugger fit amungst them. This may also minimize for-aft play as well.

How do I do that?
    I read somewhere in the SRAM website in regards to these keys that if you order replacement keys for repair, there are three different sized sets. Use of all matching keys in one of the three sets would balance tolorences between function and play. I've serviced Cannondale HeadShoks and Lefty's before and they use a similar system for tightening tolorences in their product. It's feasable that with the three sets, one could find a snugger fit amungst them. This may also minimize for-aft play as well.
    Well there you go, I stand corrected Thats cool if SRAM offers replacement parts, makes me wonder how serviceable these posts are. Having read about the high pressures and the unknown technical aspects, I thought any service attempt by say an above average do it your selfer at home would not be possible for things such as replacing these pins. It would be really cool if we can.

I guess we'll learn more about it in due time.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

keys

Here's a pic that was on the last page posted by another user.

You can see three different key sizes in the pic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RockShox Reverb Thread-parts-post.jpg  

Threading freely...
    Joe Lawwill can be seen ripping the Fontana Super D on a Blur LTC and a Reverb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8RpbLLSg0Q

The part that I found interesting is that it looks as if the Reverb was set high with the adj tube all the way in, as if in this course Lawwill had no intention to use it. (Surely, how it's set on the video makes further extension unlikely.) Kind of interesting way to set it up when no need to change the post and wanting absolutely no play and greater strength?

How do I do that?
    Quote Originally Posted by polymathic
    Joe Lawwill can be seen ripping the Fontana Super D on a Blur LTC and a Reverb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8RpbLLSg0Q

The part that I found interesting is that it looks as if the Reverb was set high with the adj tube all the way in, as if in this course Lawwill had no intention to use it. (Surely, how it's set on the video makes further extension unlikely.) Kind of interesting way to set it up when no need to change the post and wanting absolutely no play and greater strength?
    Good eye, that is interesting.

Another interesting thing is the placement of his remote. I can't clearly see it but it seems like he has it set up on the left side with the plunger facing forward and down . Seems like it's set up to be like a trigger for the index finger but I can't be sure. You can kind of see where the clamp screw and hydro cable adjustment collar is during the cockpit view

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I got my new post from Universal Cycles! they are great guys over there! Sram ended up sending me a whole new unit! like noted before it had the new hose installed on it.. I am wondering if that that light hosed used on the first model was expanding from the pressure... there for increasing the ID of the hose causing space or air or enough room to slow the post down.

Special Lister
    I ordered a Reverb the other day and should get it next week. I have a question for those 575 owners that have a Reverb on cable routing...how'd ya do it?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Fitted my Reverb yesterday to the Nomad C. Initially it was sooooooo slow to extend and I had to keep pressing the remote to get it to extend. Decided to try the remote bleed which was ok but I found it difficult to pull on the syringe whilst pressing the remote. There was quite a vacuum there..?

Anyway, I think there is still some air in the hose and I was surprised how much there was but it seems to of helped and the return and compression is much quicker now.

I need to work out the best routing for the cable now and where to mount the remote, then I will shorten the hose and attempt the two syringe method to try and remove as much air as possible.

Thanks to all who have made this thread so useful..!

Mark

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I installed the new beefier hose today. Did it exceptionally quick with all my bleed practices thus far.

Holy cow is this thing fast now! Almost painfully fast at fully speed. Whole new animal. If you don't already have the new hose, get it, you won't regret it! It's a lot less flexible so I'm going to need to rethink the routing.

The new warrantied post is not leaking after 10 hrs ride time.

Pretty stoked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I recently picked up a reverb but I don't know if I have the new hose or not. Does it have a different outer diameter from the original hose so I can just check it quick with some calipers or would I have to take it off to tell the difference?

Secondly, I'm not seeing any 'official' statement on SRAM's website about the reverb hose warranty. I guess this doesn't matter? I only ask because I've seen other things on this website from people stating certain items are under warranty only to be shot down by my LBS. It's not that I don't believe people on these forums, I do, it just seems like my LBS always seems to need a little more 'coaxing' to go through with warranty claims.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Hose differences,.

Quote Originally Posted by Laterilus
    I recently picked up a reverb but I don't know if I have the new hose or not. Does it have a different outer diameter from the original hose so I can just check it quick with some calipers or would I have to take it off to tell the difference?

Secondly, I'm not seeing any 'official' statement on SRAM's website about the reverb hose warranty. I guess this doesn't matter? I only ask because I've seen other things on this website from people stating certain items are under warranty only to be shot down by my LBS. It's not that I don't believe people on these forums, I do, it just seems like my LBS always seems to need a little more 'coaxing' to go through with warranty claims.

The original hose was a smooth skinny hose, like a black straw. Very springing as well. The new hose is just like a brake line. It's textured due to a wrap under the black coating and is on the stiff side. I don't know of the dimensional difference though.

As far as warranty. When I contacted Universal Cycles, they knew exactly what my issue was and had a stock pile of replacement hoses all ready supplied to them from RS for this warranty issue. No charge in shipping or parts.

It's not a safety issue but more of an inconsistancy issue with their product. RS probably figures that not all owners are gonna care to chase down this issue.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mitja
    Here it is: weight of out of the box RS Reverb in 31.6 380mm

Shoot! Yours weighs 3 grams less than mine........Mine weighs 540grams. I am gonna be so much slower than you. Haha.

Anybody have a picture of new hose and old hose? I am unsure what one I have. I was thinking of replacing with Avid brake hose.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I think that you may run into difficulties trying to use an avid hose because the stock hose barbs are thicker than the warranty replacement hose barbs. The ID of the hose, and consequently, hose barb diameter, was reduced significantly in the warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Here is the old hose (installed) next to the new hose. Notice the old style hose is shiny whereas the new hose is dull like a brake line.

Here is a cross section shot of the new hose. Notice the double wall with the inner being white. It is also quite rigid whereas the old is rather flexible and flembsy feeling.

And here is the new hose kit. Comes with hose, barbs, and strain relief.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Are Rockshox giving you these hoses anyway or do you have to contact them and ask for one?

mtbr member
    I installed my new hose kit last night (finally got around to it). I gotta say, the actual installation isn't complicated, but damn if that new hose isn't difficult to push onto those new barbs. OMG. Even with wrapping a rag around the cable and then using pliers to push it on, I still marked the hose a bit with the pliers. I rocked it back and forth and spun it while pushing it on like SRAM's instructions, but it still was a pain.

The new hose seems a lot better, but since it's stiffer it doesn't flex as well as the old one. I had to train it a bit to bow at the back before it would go down without pushing the cable all the way to the front and making a big bow at the bars. Once I did that it worked well.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSMarco
    Are Rockshox giving you these hoses anyway or do you have to contact them and ask for one?
    I'm in the same boat as BMJ. I got mine from Universal Cycles. I just did the online chat with them for a minute and he was like "You need the new hose kit? Alright I'll send one out." That was that. Got mine no charge and no shipping cost. Like BMJ said it seemed like they got a bunch from SRAM to replace under warranty and just had them waiting to ship out to people who called. I'd contact the place where you bought it and ask about it. If they give you any flak, just say you've been having to bleed it far too often.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    So you think having a bow in the back is preferred? I've never had tire rub issues with this setup, but I have had issues with the strain relief rotating when the hose bows in the back, and it's caused some clearance issues with the silver collar. I've tried for a while to get it to slide forward, and can get it to do so about 60% of the time. But any micro change in my cable guide setup, grit or something, and it won't slide. Yeah it was a b'autch and a half trying to get the line on the post, the remote was relatively easy.

mtbr member
    So you think having a bow in the back is preferred? I've never had tire rub issues with this setup, but I have had issues with the strain relief rotating when the hose bows in the back, and it's caused some clearance issues with the silver collar. I've tried for a while to get it to slide forward, and can get it to do so about 60% of the time. But any micro change in my cable guide setup, grit or something, and it won't slide. Yeah it was a b'autch and a half trying to get the line on the post, the remote was relatively easy.
    It really depends on how your cable routing is and what the bow is like. If it's not too drastic and isn't a sharp bend, I'd rather have it do that than be constantly sliding through all the cable guides and wearing the cable over time. I have adjustable seatpost cable guides on my frame. The way they're setup the bow doesn't appear to be that bad. It doesn't seem to cause any issues at the strain relief or collar. I'm actually going around the back of the frame from the one side to the cable guides on the other side. I'll try and post a pic when I get home. Yours might be a different situation. Every bike is going to be different.

I also don't want a big loop of cable flopping around at the front of my bike whenever I lower the post.
    LMB

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

having trouble

Had a reverb since mid november. It was working perfectly, then it began to slow down significantly. I bled it just as I had when I shortened the hose after initial install. No bubbles in system. However, now the seat post wont go all the way up unless I lift it. AND, it now moves down about 1/2 inch when weighted. Bled it again and still no air in system. I called the shop for new hose and its on the way. After bleed, same problems as before except now I notice that after I fully compress it, I can easily pull it all the way back up. It moves back down on its own after I let go.

Does this sound like just the hose problem or am I in need of a new post?

mtbr member
    I'm looking at getting the Reverb. The reason I really am drawn to this post is that it has 0 offset which I MUST have since, apparently, I have short femurs. Anyway, I have looked at different brands and haven't found any others that offer an adjustable post with 0 offset. Does anyone know of any??

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtblucas
    I'm looking at getting the Reverb. The reason I really am drawn to this post is that it has 0 offset which I MUST have since, apparently, I have short femurs. Anyway, I have looked at different brands and haven't found any others that offer an adjustable post with 0 offset. Does anyone know of any??

Thanks
    The GravityDropper

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Thanks
    I have the exact opposite problem! I pulled the trigger on the Reverb after weeks of consideration and when I got it home and mounted it up I couldn't get my saddle positioned far enough back in the clamp...darn! Nothing much to do, I don't want to change my saddle position or my saddle so the Reverb had to go back to the store. Too bad, I was really looking forward to the new post. Back to my Joplin for now.

As for other zero offset posts, the KSi950 has a two bolt zero offset saddle clamp.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

bad news

Well, I found out the answer to my question -- Seatpost is fried. Half way in to my ride yesterday, it went all the way down on its own and stayed there. I spoke with BikeBling where it was purchased and they were great. However, I'm likely without a seatpost for a few weeks.

jddist
    May 2008

Thanks
    I believe the KS i950 is zero offset.

Page 4 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 425