Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829
Results 2,801 to 2,813 of 2813
  1. #2801
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,025
    tried all that...

    still creaked

    I ride with my seat forward to help climbing...

    I reversed the lower saddle rail clamp so more of it was in contact with the rails....

    Viola no more creaks

  2. #2802
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    936

    RockShox Reverb Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffscott View Post
    tried all that...

    still creaked

    I ride with my seat forward to help climbing...

    I reversed the lower saddle rail clamp so more of it was in contact with the rails....

    Viola no more creaks
    mine as well in spite of being clean and proper torque. haven't reversed anything yet. what's your saddle?
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

  3. #2803
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    936

    RockShox Reverb Thread



    OK, I remember myself saying it's not easy to bleed with the bleeding edge - I take that away.

    At each press I do the post returns slower than the previous. As I have observed, I'm leaking at the circled portion. I'm very sure that I've threaded the barb correctly and that it's flushed. I've redone it 3x to be sure and still the same, each time cutting to get a fresh end. Now I'm running out of excess so i stopped for now. It's also worth mentioning that the hose has seated fully in all 3 cases. I've measured the depth and it's ~10mm

    https://youtu.be/g_6rL47VFAU

    A few things I'm seeing here:
    - hose has expanded? - when i thread the barb it's way too easy compared to the push remote
    - new barb is thinner? - see above
    - barb/o-ring inside the remote is lose - I held back from opening the end, but I'm already tempted to.

    To elaborate a bit on the expanded hose or thinner barb, If you guys worked on previous versions, you feel a tight engagement while turning and requires a bit of effort to overcome the resistance. Consequently, the feeling of reaching the bottom is very obvious. All these are gone in the new remote.

    What I'm curious is whether this has an o-ring? IMO, it should, otherwise how will it seal. I tried to turn the hex cover (whatever its called), but it's way too tight, so I held back and didn't bother. The way I see it, the barb itself isn't threaded to the main body (unlike the previous one). It seems to be pressed by the cap that goes with it. This leaves a huge room for error in terms of sealing IMO. Unfortunately, the parts catalog does not include this yet, so I can't confirm the internals.



    pity i'm overseas and i got my item from the other side of the globe...
    Last edited by spyghost; 6 Days Ago at 09:03 PM.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

  4. #2804
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,160
    WRONG>>>>I put mine together, it worked, and I don't remember the details at this point. As I recall, you screw the barb into the hose using a small torx until the flange is flush against the end of the hose and then the red olive threads onto the flanged end of the barb with left hand thread, right?

    I believe the seal is created by the olive compressing against a conical bore in the lever and squeezing down on the hose, as it is with brake levers.<<<WRONG


    Edit: Hey. Never mind. I was confusing installing the 1x remote with installing new SRAM Level brakes, which do have a new barb and left-hand threaded olives. The 1X remote just threads onto the hose, kinda like the old plunger remotes.
    Last edited by Lone Rager; 5 Days Ago at 04:51 AM.
    Do the math.

  5. #2805
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Rager View Post
    I put mine together, it worked, and I don't remember the details at this point. As I recall, you screw the barb into the hose using a small torx until the flange is flush against the end of the hose and then the red olive threads onto the flanged end of the barb with left hand thread, right?

    I believe the seal is created by the olive compressing against a conical bore in the lever and squeezing down on the hose, as it is with brake levers.
    this is the instructional vid i followed. the process of threading the hose is at 1:30. there's no mention of torx or olive anywhere

    https://youtu.be/f1__XVOjkvo
    Last edited by spyghost; 6 Days Ago at 04:51 PM.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

  6. #2806
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    this is the instructional vid i followed. the process of threading the hose is at 1:30. there's no mention of torx or olive anywhere

    https://youtu.be/f1__XVOjkvo
    I'd stay clear of the YouTube videos if you can. They often leave out critical info that is in the service manual. They should only be used to supplement the manual. I haven't fitted one of these yet but it looks like you are doing everything right. Are you using SRAM original hose? I always use a torque wrench on the barbs and they do feel tight. I can't see an olive used like the brakes, only a barb and the new style compression nut. Manual is here and the pages you need are 39-40:

    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign...._c_english.pdf

  7. #2807
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by niva1989 View Post
    I'd stay clear of the YouTube videos if you can. They often leave out critical info that is in the service manual. They should only be used to supplement the manual. I haven't fitted one of these yet but it looks like you are doing everything right. Are you using SRAM original hose? I always use a torque wrench on the barbs and they do feel tight. I can't see an olive used like the brakes, only a barb and the new style compression nut. Manual is here and the pages you need are 39-40:

    https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign...._c_english.pdf
    Thanks for the reference.

    Yes, I'm just re-using my original hose with a freshly cut end. The barb must have turned while I was installing or come loose for that action.

    Hmmm... my kit didn't come with a new barb nor with a new hose!
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

  8. #2808
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    Thanks for the reference.

    Yes, I'm just re-using my hose with a freshly cut end. The barb must have turned while I was installing or come loose for that action.

    Hmmm... my kit didn't come with a new barb!
    It looks like a different style barb from the old one.

  9. #2809
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    936
    Quote Originally Posted by niva1989 View Post
    It looks like a different style barb from the old one.
    yea, looks more like that of a brake except that it's black and has threads...
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

  10. #2810
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Lone Rager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,160
    Hey. Never mind on my post about a barb and threaded olive. I was confusing installing the 1x remote with installing new SRAM Level brakes, which do have a new barb and left-hand threaded olives.
    Do the math.

  11. #2811
    mtbr member
    Reputation: spyghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    936

    RockShox Reverb Thread

    i did further troubleshooting and it seems that I haven't fully seated the hose!

    i tried to turn the lever and surprisingly i was able to twist it further by a bit more than a full turn.

    It must be my grip slipping before giving me the feeling that I've fully seated the hose.

    Been working fine in the garage. Further testing on the weekend... now I'm stoked!

    Given this experience, RS should align the youtube video according to the PDF instructions. Perhaps even ensure that the upgrade kit has the barb uninstalled. Threading it using a T6 is quite foolproof in that users get a visual whether it has fully seated or not.
    Canfield Yelli Screamy

  12. #2812
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    325
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    i did further troubleshooting and it seems that I haven't fully seated the hose!

    i tried to turn the lever and surprisingly i was able to twist it further by a bit more than a full turn.

    It must be my grip slipping before giving me the feeling that I've fully seated the hose.

    Been working fine in the garage. Further testing on the weekend... now I'm stoked!

    Given this experience, RS should align the youtube video according to the PDF instructions. Perhaps even ensure that the upgrade kit has the barb uninstalled. Threading it using a T6 is quite foolproof in that users get a visual whether it has fully seated or not.
    That's good news.

  13. #2813
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    12,025
    Quote Originally Posted by spyghost View Post
    mine as well in spite of being clean and proper torque. haven't reversed anything yet. what's your saddle?
    Henke specialized

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 192526272829

Members who have read this thread: 425

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •