Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Platform pedals

mtbr member
    Jan 2016

Platform pedals

I'm getting a new bike soon and looking for a good set of platforms. I've been using Wellgo's on my current bike and have no complaints. Looking for the lightest, strongest pedal out there, thanks

mtbr member
    I love platforms. There are so many these days that I've given up trying to find "the one best".

I need knew pedals too this year. Have been thinking of trying the Race Face Chester, or something similar. Nylon body with metal pins. I want the metal pins for grip, but don't think I care so much about what the body is made of. The price is easier on the wallet than the CNC-machined stuff.

Brand Ambassador Moderator
    If you have the cash, I've been super impressed with the HT Components AE03 pedals. Decently light at 342g? yet strong and grip like crazy. In fact the grip is almost too much when wearing Five Tens but you come to love it when lesser pedals would normally give up. They are thin and look good too.

I suggest looking at pin design and figuring out what you prefer. I generally don't like the pins with wide blunt ends that mount from the top. They lack grip and it is harder to tighten them. The type that screw in from the top and sport and open Allen head at the tip are grippy but a pain to tighten because they are always filled with packed dirt. I prefer the sharper pins that mount from the bottom because they grip better and are easier to tighten and or replace pins.

mtbr member
    Lightest and strongest don't really go together. I have, and like, the very heavy and very durable Shimano MX80 Saints, but am regularly casting eyes at the Xpedo Spry.
    220g/7.76oz weight difference, but at this point dropping weight is more a mental exercise than a practical goal for me. Pedal strikes are almost a given on some of the trails I frequently ride, so I may never get past admiring from afar when it comes to anything less durable. Dropping another half pound for ~$65 sure is tempting, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Should be receiving my Vice pedals by VP Components in the mail today. Aluminum body, just over 400 grams I believe. I'll let you know how they do. They were fairly inexpensive on Amazon. $45-$50.

Platform pedals-s1600_zvice_blk_obl.jpg

broken hipster
    I'm using Deity compounds on my bikes these days and they're holding up extremely well.
    339 grams.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I've been riding clipless for years but am also thinking about going flats to give them a try. Let us know how the VPs work out, that's tempting just to give them a try.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks everyone for your input and keep them coming, gonna check them all out.
    TXFF, Please give us your first out of the box impression of those VP's and after a few rides too, good looking pedal.

mtbr member
    I was using Nukeproof Proton alloy/cro-mo pedals for a couple of years,great pedal and good value at around $70,430g,spares easy to get hold of and very easy to service.I still keep them as my back up pedal.Looks like they have a new verison out now,the Nukeproof Horizon Pro around the same weight.So you might get the old versions pretty cheap,Chain Reaction has the Nukeproof magnesium/Titanium Proton and Neutron pedals,294g, with 57% off at around $115.

Im on Hope F20 pedals now,390g,not cheap but its a solid pedal and so much grip with its hollow pins,and still spins silky smooth after 6 months of UK wet winter.

If I didnt have the Hopes now Id probably get the Nukeproof magnesium/titanium at that price.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TXFF View Post
    Should be receiving my Vice pedals by VP Components in the mail today. Aluminum body, just over 400 grams I believe. I'll let you know how they do. They were fairly inexpensive on Amazon. $45-$50.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s1600_zVICE_BLK_OBL.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	1048201
    Let me know how you like the Vice. I've been eyeing those as well. I've been using Nukeproof Neutron for the past year. I just can't stand the Saints. They pins aren't long enough for me.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just picked up a pair of Forte Convert platforms from performance, good for the money and Performance has a killer return policy so if the bearings blow up or something like that I am covered.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I am very happy with my Race Face Atlas pedals. They are around $150 but can be rebuilt if they start wearing out.

RF Atlas stick to my Adidas Terrex Trail Cross like glue.
    2015 Rocky Mountain Altitude 770MSL
    2014 Kona Unit

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Here another option for you.very light and I can attest to the quality despite them being direct from china

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/AEST-Bike-MT...689?nav=SEARCH
    "you must do what you feel is right of course"

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig/Fl View Post
    TXFF, Please give us your first out of the box impression of those VP's and after a few rides too, good looking pedal.
    Very impressed with initial unboxing of the Vice's. Appear to be good quality and very thin compared to my Fyxation nylons. Weighed in at 408 grams. I know you can get lighter, but I opted for aluminum instead of magnesium, hoping for a stronger pedal on strikes.

Loads of pins(12) and tall enough to grab your soles (and possibly shins). Getting some new 5.10s soon so can't wait to try out the set. Two varieties of pins, which I don't know if that's good or bad. 8 screw in from bottom, and 4 set screws where that was not possible. I did like how these have the extra pins under the ball of your foot, not just on the perimeter of the pedal.

One thing that threw me was installation. They sit flush to the crank, so no using a 15mm wrench. You need an 8mm hex key. I almost had to go buy it, didn't think I had one that large. This might be a common installation, I just wasn't aware of it.

As soon as I get my shoes in I'm hoping to hit the trails and give you an update. It's still pretty wet here in North Texas, lots of closures.

Quote Originally Posted by BikeBro
    I just picked up a pair of Forte Convert platforms from performance, good for the money and Performance has a killer return policy so if the bearings blow up or something like that I am covered.
    If I didn't get the Vice I was probably going to get these. I did like the Forte's in the fact they give you replacement pins, the VP Vice do not. Also like you said, the warranty is a plus at Performance. In the end I went for price and the ease of online shopping. Very similar looking pedals in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the update TXFF. After doing some research and reading your opinion on the VP's I've narrowed it down to those and the Forte's, both are in my budget. I like the fact that VP components has a video on there website that shows how to disassemble/reassemble the pedals.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Which Wellgo? A lot of people like the MG-1 and the price is good. They'll likely be my next choice unless something else comes along.

I happened on a deal on the Xpedo Spry and they held up pretty well if you like the shorter pin variety (a tad nicer to shins and street shoes if you forget your 5.10s).

mtbr member
    I like my Sprys, very light and nice bearings, you can pick them up on Fleabay for @ $40 shipped.

mtbr member
    I ditched the Xpedo Sprys, and picked up the newer VP Harrier Pedals. The Xpedo's are a good, light pedal, but a PITA when it comes to maintenance. You need to shave down an allen wrench to get it to fit, and one of the pedal axle bolts is reverse threaded - and I can never remember which.

I couldn't resist picking up the Harriers when I didn't want to deal with the Sprys anymore, Merlin Cycles has them on sale now for 62 bucks, I got mine before Xmas at 55. The platform is massive, and the maintenance is a breeze. I ride with Vans, so there is lots of grip to go around with ten pins per side.

Name:  20512_vp_harrier_mtb_flat_pedals.jpg
Views: 663
Size:  94.2 KB

mtbr member
    Those VP Harriers look awesome. How are they holding up for you?
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by V8Interceptor View Post
    Those VP Harriers look awesome. How are they holding up for you?
    I haven't many miles on them as of yet due to conditions (only 25 miles), but I will say I really like how they feel underfoot. Two rock strikes so far, but they were covered in snow and never saw them, no pin damage. The platforms themselves are massive, lots of room to move around on, and the pins are nice and grippy.
    Everything is finally starting to thaw with temps going into the 60's for the weekend, so I am super excited to get back on the trails. We have had snow on the ground here for over a month and a half, which hardly ever happens. Lots of testing to do on the new n+1!

mtbr member
    I had vp harriers and after a couple of months of heavy use I developed lateral play. If VP was a little more helpful (answering emails or phone calls) I would have just bought another rebuild kit but I decided to trash them and get something else. Your experience may be quite different than mine though... Great while it lasted!
    '16 Banshee Rune
    '15 Large NS Essentric ALU
    '15 Large Ibis Mojo HD3
    '14 Large Knolly Endorphin
    '08 Jamis Dakar Expert

Ride Everything
    I'm currently alternating between the HT AEO5 and Spank's Oozy. Both have tons of grip with my 5.10 shoes, but the Oozy's platform seems to offer a tad more support.
    GRAVELBIKE.COM - ride everything

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I like my Crampon Ultimates (342g) and very thin. I've gotten a lot of rock strikes and broken pins but overall has held up well. The pins are easy to replace.
    However I'm already looking for my next pair to try out this summer. Have my eye on the Deity TMACs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig/Fl View Post
    Alright, already gave my unboxing impressions, now I have a couple rides under my belt. First impressions are very positive, I like the grip I get with these. First ride was with some Puma Suede Classics (just your basic skate/soccer/fashion shoe) and they worked really well, although I think that shoe is way too flexible. Second ride was with my new 5.10 Freeriders, and wow! Stuck to the Vice's like glue. Overall very happy with this combination. I will say from time to time it was hard to adjust foot positioning (which you can also take as a positive). There was definitely no sliding around.

mtbr member
    Platform pedals-50-0535-blk-angle.jpg
    I had to pick up some new flats quickly, and purchased Forte Converts from Performance Bike on sale. I heard that Nukeproof makes these pedals, and they do have the same feel as the Nukeproof Neutrons I've been using. Very nice quality, they fit my size 13's well, and stick to my 5.10s like crazy. Plus you can't beat the Performance Bike Guarantee.
    1992 Trek 800 Antelope
    2015 Trek Stache 7

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast