100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF

Optimal Dropper Length?

Strangely, to me at least, my new bike came with a 170mm dropper. It is spec'ed online with a 150mm dropper. I have to bury the 170 dropper into the seat tube but it actually fits me perfectly when fully sunk.

I have a 34 inch inseam. I bet when the time comes to sell this bike, there will be an issue for a lot of potential purchasers with the dropper length. A 150 would be much safer. Then again, on a positive note, with the 170 fully buried, I can drop that seat 100% in the steep gnar. Plus, I don't need to tighten the collar much (except to keep it from being knocked off centre from side to side) so it is likely much smoother on the ups and downs without the collar being torqued.

Return for the 150 or keep the 170 and deal with the sale issue down the road?

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Why do you imagine that a 150 would be ďmuch saferĒ?

Obviously, ideal dropper length depends on a number of factors like frame size, rider size, riding type, etc.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodypalms View Post
    Why do you imagine that a 150 would be ďmuch saferĒ?

Obviously, ideal dropper length depends on a number of factors like frame size, rider size, riding type, etc.
    Safer for resale. I don't know too many guys as long and lean as me. My bet is that the 170mm dropper on that frame will be too long for 95% of them.

So the question is, assuming that that is correct, is it worth getting the 150 so I don't have to deal with a pile of bullshit 1 or 2 years from now...

Plus, I suppose, if I am riding some super techy stuff, I may want it a little lower than what I can get with the 170 fully sunk.

Yeah. Probably best to return it and deal with the 150 extended an inch above my top tube. Shit. More BS at the LBS.

Anyone think otherwise?

Nothing seems to kill me
    If it works for you, Who cares. Ride it. And when you go to sell it let the next guy deal with it. Or remove it and use it on your next bike. I run a 175mm and love it. I think you are over thinking it.
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    If it works for you, Who cares. Ride it. And when you go to sell it let the next guy deal with it. Or remove it and use it on your next bike. I run a 175mm and love it. I think you are over thinking it.
    Maybe. Likely. But I can change it now if I want for free. Just trying to avoid yet another bad decision in my life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    So the question is, assuming that that is correct, is it worth getting the 150 so I don't have to deal with a pile of bullshit 1 or 2 years from now...
    I doubt it.

Plus, I suppose, if I am riding some super techy stuff, I may want it a little lower than what I can get with the 170 fully sunk.
    It will be higher, not lower, with the 150mm dropper. The only way to get it lower than sunk is a different model dropper with a shorter collar and seat clamp design.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I am obviously having trouble trying to explain myself.

Options:

1. 170mm - can bury it 100% in my frame

Pros:

- max drop available
    - no need to torque collar to 5 or whatever, therefore "freer" action up and down (less stiction)

Cons:

- screwed potentially when it comes time to sell - this post will be too long, fully sunk, fully extended, for 95% of riders
    - I can't drop it any further - I may have wanted it lower at its highest position for techy riding
    - some say it should be high enough in its lowest position to remain in contact with your inner thighs to assist in cornering

2. 150mm

Pros and cons opposite to option 1.

Not trying to irritate anyone with my overthinking. This place has been great to me in the past when I have had similar bouts of analysis paralysis.

Thanks guys.

PS - this is my 6th dropper I believe, so I have a fair bit of experience with them. 150mm has always fit on other bikes, sticking out of the seat tube an inch or so. This is my first 170mm, and the first time I have had to sink it 100% to make it work fully extended.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Classic analysis paralysis. Hilarious, in a sad kind of way.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Some people are born a-holes. Plain and simple.

mtbr member
    - I can't drop it any further - I may have wanted it lower at its highest position for techy riding
    - some say it should be high enough in its lowest position to remain in contact with your inner thighs to assist in cornering
    I see what you're saying. For techy climbs I sometimes partially drop the seat. I never felt the need for the max height to be lower though. As far as contacting your thigh while cornering, that's personal preference but I don't need to feel the seat in corners.

I would not install parts for a theoretical future buyer of my bike. They can put whatever dropper or other components they want on the bike. Set up your bike how you like it.

mtbr member
    Just swap it, so you can sleep well at night... unless your future buyer holds out for a bike with a 170mm dropper.

Nothing seems to kill me

Did you see the size of that guy's post?

I am obviously having trouble trying to explain myself.

It's all subjective.
    I'm sure your post is infinite travel, correct?
    Sometimes I like my post against my thighs to help with control on slow techy-rocky trails. Sometimes I like it completely out of the way so I can hit jumps and drops. You can drop it enough so you have contact with your thigh and then drop it more to get it completely out of the way. That's the beauty of the longer infinite travle post. A lot of people would run longer post if they could.
    I have a 9point8 175mm on my Mach 6 and a 150mm KS Lev on my Firebird. I like the way the 175mm gets out of my way when I want it to. The 150, I can't get it completely out of my way.
    I would be running a 200mm on the M6 if it would fit.
    I choose to live and to lie..kill and to give and to die..learn and love and to do what it takes to step through. MJK

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by CUP-TON View Post
    It's all subjective.
    I'm sure your post is infinite travel, correct?
    Sometimes I like my post against my thighs to help with control on slow techy-rocky trails. Sometimes I like it completely out of the way so I can hit jumps and drops. You can drop it enough so you have contact with your thigh and then drop it more to get it completely out of the way. That's the beauty of the longer infinite travle post. A lot of people would run longer post if they could.
    I have a 9point8 175mm on my Mach 6 and a 150mm KS Lev on my Firebird. I like the way the 175mm gets out of my way when I want it to. The 150, I can't get it completely out of my way.
    I appreciate it's infinite travel but it's one f of a lot easier (for me at least) to slam it and raise it 100%, to the top and bottom positions, without having to fiddle around in the middle of those two extremes. And yeah - infinite travel. But fiddling around trying to find a good position between the two extremes gets old and tired very quickly.

The biggest issue for me is that I can't lower it any further than almost full leg extension for the Squamish/Whistler riding, where full extension is just a little too high, pretty much for everything. I lose the ability to drop it an inch for the really techy riding.

mtbr member
    It's just a dropper.

I used to get worried about bike decisions, but I realized when it comes to bikes, there really is no good (financially speaking) decision. And when you think there is, it just $#@*in' breaks.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    ...And when you think there is, it just $#@*in' breaks.
    I intentionally refrained from mentioning the brand, for fear that I would REALLY draw the a-hole remarks.

mtbr member
    I intentionally refrained from mentioning the brand, for fear that I would REALLY draw the a-hole remarks.
    I wasn't trying to be snarky, just realistic.

My point is don't sweat it... it'll likely break or you'll use it on another bike.

I buy all my bikes with intent that I'll ride them for years and years and not sell them, but that has yet to happen. So I've stopped thinking about the future because my prediction of it has been 100% wrong.
    Life is too short to ride a bike you don't love.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by l'oiseau View Post
    I wasn't trying to be snarky, just realistic.

My point is don't sweat it... it'll likely break or you'll use it on another bike.

I buy all my bikes with intent that I'll ride them for years and years and not sell them, but that has yet to happen. So I've stopped thinking about the future because my prediction of it has been 100% wrong.
    Yes. Good comments. I didn't take them as snarky at all. Much appreciated

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    Keep the longer dropper. It's almost universal that more drop is better.
    Resale? Ride it like you stole it! Don't worry about the next guy.
    Making shit harder than it needs to be isn't awesome, it's just...harder.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Some people are born a-holes. Plain and simple.
    Still laughing at you. Itís just a dropper.

It must be absolutely frustrating for you when you see all of the choices lining the cereal aisle.

How many hours do you spend trapped there reading and comparing each and every nutrition label?

Nat
    mtbr member
    it actually fits me perfectly
    ^That's the most important thing you stated right there.

I think you're over-thinking the resale thing. If someone's going to buy your used bike I don't think they'd let a 2+ year-old dropper kill the sale. They might replace it with whatever new dropper is available. Heck, it might be broken by then. Or your bike might get stolen. Ride what fits you NOW, not what might sell to some hypothetical buyer in a few years.

mtbr member
    Return for the 150 or keep the 170 and deal with the sale issue down the road?
    Sort it, for the reason you say. Not only will it restrict the sale of your bike but no one shorter than you can ride it. A friend of mine put a 150 on his bike, the max it would take, so now his son can't ride it.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Sort it, for the reason you say. Not only will it restrict the sale of your bike but no one shorter than you can ride it. A friend of mine put a 150 on his bike, the max it would take, so now his son can't ride it.
    Do these people not understand that dropper posts are *adjustsble* ?

When my son, who is shorter than I am, borrows my bike he simply drops the post (it is a dropper post after all) to his preferred ride height.

Of course people who are shorter than me can ride my bike.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Do these people not understand that dropper posts are *adjustsble* ?

When my son, who is shorter than I am, borrows my bike he simply drops the post (it is a dropper post after all) to his preferred ride height.

Of course people who are shorter than me can ride my bike.
    Iím thinking you must ride pathways only. Hard pass on anything you say. Go find another thread to troll.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Iím thinking you must ride pathways only. Hard pass on anything you say. Go find another thread to troll.
    Thatís even more hilarious than your sad analysis paralysis.

mtbr member
    Thatís even more hilarious than your sad analysis paralysis.
    I agree with him. And maybe less of the insults, unless you like red squares?

mtbr member
    I am 5'8.5" with 31" inseam and have just ordered a 185mm bikeyoke dropper to replace my 150mm fox transfer
    Can't wait to install it.
    The longer the better in my book.
    150mm was fine in most situations, but these are my reasons for the upgrade:

1. Very steep DH riding could use another inch of clearance, especially on a narrow, loose section, when I am trying to get on the bike + clipp in...
    2. Jumps and bike park.
    3. And finally, it is going to be much easier to sit on it, when stopped with my feet on the ground

Keep the 170!
    Don't worry about the future buyer.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    I agree with him. And maybe less of the insults, unless you like red squares?
    LOL. Neg rep threats? If it makes you feel better, have at it Piglet!

The fact remains that people shorter than me can merely lower my 200mm dropper to their desired saddle height and ride my bike.

Whatís curious is that the people claiming that I only ride pathways continue to struggle with such a basic concept.

Pro Crastinator
    ...Whatís curious is that the people claiming that I only ride pathways continue to struggle with such a basic concept.
    it's because you are making sense. these guys just want trends, not logic. all 'dropper' post drop all the way to the bottom. saying that the bottom is now too tall for someone is silliness. if the bottom is too tall, the frame was too tall to begin with...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by .WestCoastHucker. View Post
    it's because you are making sense. these guys just want trends, not logic. all 'dropper' post drop all the way to the bottom. saying that the bottom is now too tall for someone is silliness. if the bottom is too tall, the frame was too tall to begin with...
    Huh? How many times do you adjust your post on a ride? Itís ok with you to have your post too high when fully extended, so that you have to fiddle around finding the optimal height?

Jeezus. I am shocked that you would be fine with a dropper thatís an inch too high when sunk in the frame, and fully extended. Mind boggling.

Pro Crastinator
    you are missing the point. regardless of 120/150/170 or even 200 mm of travel, the argument is that all of them with a slammed seat, end up at the same height regardless of how far it can actually extend upward...

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are you buying a bike for yourself or are you buying a bike for the next guy?
    Personally, I buy bikes for me, the next guy can go deal with whatever I sell him should I choose to sell my bike.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    you are missing the point. regardless of 120/150/170 or even 200 mm of travel, the argument is that all of them with a slammed seat, end up at the same height regardless of how far it can actually extend upward...
    I am so not following you. If I use a 200mm dropper, I will not be able to fully extend it and reach the pedals. If I use a 150mm dropper, I will have to pull the bottom an inch or so up from my collar so it is long enough when fully extended.

I do not want a 200mm dropper because I donít want to be fiddling with the fkr when I am slamming through some undulating gnar, trying to find the optimum height in its infinite travel. This is something that apparently escapes some people who have been born with shit for brains. This is certainly not a category I would include you in.

So, where have I lost you?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Are you buying a bike for yourself or are you buying a bike for the next guy?
    Personally, I buy bikes for me, the next guy can go deal with whatever I sell him should I choose to sell my bike.
    I have zero room to move it down if I want to do so FOR MYSELF.

mtbr member
    I hear you.
    That's why I remeasured several times my frame and the seat height at the max extension to make sure I could reach the saddle with the 185mm bikeyoke.

If 170mm fits you well, keep it.
    Who knows what situation you are going to be in 2 years when you will be selling the bike. If the dropper length is going to be a problem for your future buyer, just sell the dropper separate or keep it for your next bike. Or you could always get an used 150mm and sell it with the bike...

170mm is going to be much nicer than the 150mm, especially with your inseam.

Pro Crastinator
    I am so not following you. If I use a 200mm dropper, I will not be able to fully extend it and reach the pedals. If I use a 150mm dropper, I will have to pull the bottom an inch or so up from my collar so it is long enough when fully extended.

So, where have I lost you?
    again, the argument isn't about how far they extend. the argument is that they all slam down to the same point when dropped. starting at zero(the assumed frame height) they will all extend to different heights yes. but slammed they all return to zero. so if you can fit on a bike with the seat at zero(like some state their kids can), regardless of how many miles up the seat can go, you will still fit on it when the seat is returned to zero. so putting a post that can extend higher will not keep someone from riding it when the seat is fully dropped just like they used to.

nobody was arguing about what you prefer, as only you can answer that...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    again, the argument isn't about how far they extend. the argument is that they all slam down to the same point when dropped. starting at zero(the assumed frame height) they will all extend to different heights yes. but slammed they all return to zero. so if you can fit on a bike with the seat at zero(like some state their kids can), regardless of how many miles up the seat can go, you will still fit on it when the seat is returned to zero. so putting a post that can extend higher will not keep someone from riding it when the seat is fully dropped just like they used to.

nobody was arguing about what you prefer, as only you can answer that...
    Fair enough. But donít you prefer to have your dropper set so that when you fully extend it, itís at the optimum extended height?

Pro Crastinator
    yes. i agree with you on all points. i was just needlessly chiming in that ones child/friend could still ride the bike if they were already able to in the first place with the seat down.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Maybe a photo will help the pig guy and the analysis paralysis guy understand this basic stuff.

Two bikes. One is 37" pedal-to-saddle at full extension, one is 38" pedal-to-saddle at full extension. My son can ride both.

Optimal Dropper Length?-render-03206.jpg

Why is this confusing?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    yes. i agree with you on all points. i was just needlessly chiming in that ones child/friend could still ride the bike if they were already able to in the first place with the seat down.
    Of course. But I am dropping almost $10k on a bike. I suspect I ride in much the same terrain as you. I am not about to take a 170mm post when I have had 5 prior ones at 150 if the 170 dropper may be too long when fully extended, when slammed in the frame. Why would I? I adjust my seat countless times along certain stretches. I need that fkr to top out to the exact correct height. There is no time for micro adjustments. I would have thought all this was pretty basic shit.

Pro Crastinator
    i guess i don't understand what you are complaining about. you stated in the OP that the 170 fits you and your bike perfect. you answered your own question before you even started. you seem to also be stuck in a reading comprehension blackout. the disagreement in question was this "A friend of mine put a 150 on his bike, the max it would take, so now his son can't ride it" which obviously leaves other details out of the equation for this to be true. all posts drop as far as the seat collar...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    i guess i don't understand what you are complaining about. you stated in the OP that the 170 fits you and your bike perfect. you answered your own question before you even started. you seem to also be stuck in a reading comprehension blackout. the disagreement in question was this "A friend of mine put a 150 on his bike, the max it would take, so now his son can't ride it" which obviously leaves other details out of the equation for this to be true. all posts drop as far as the seat collar...
    From Post #3:

ď...if I am riding some super techy stuff, I may want it a little lower than what I can get with the 170 fully sunk.Ē

Pro Crastinator
    From Post #3:

ď...if I am riding some super techy stuff, I may want it a little lower than what I can get with the 170 fully sunk.Ē
    but yet from post #1:

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike
    Then again, on a positive note, with the 170 fully buried, I can drop that seat 100% in the steep gnar.
    so, riddle me this. how do you sink the post past 100%

Yeah, I'm that a$$hole.
    If you can fit a 170mm post and still get full leg extension, stick with the 170, if not go for a shorter post. There is no reason to have unused space if you can avoid it.

As to your dilemma about the future, who the f#ck cares about what maybe when you plan to sell the bike??!! Ride the bike now, worry when that time comes if you need to at all, who knows what the future may hold. No use worrying today about what may happen tomorrow.
    #THELEGENDMTB
    2016 RSD Mayor
    2018 Diamondback Release 5C
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    From Post #3:

If you're looking at a given model of dropper post that comes in different amounts of drop, they'll ALL be at the same height when fully dropped IF the seatpost collar is slammed all the way down to the frame. The collar to seat distance (when fully dropped) will be the same whether it's a 120, 150, or 170mm drop.

The only way to get a lower dropped seat height is to find a dropper post that has a shorter distance as measured from the bottom of the collar to the seat rails when fully dropped. Most manufacturers will have engineering drawings of their posts from which you can figure out what the minimum & maximum seat heights are.

This is Fox

Here's one for KS

Look around and you can find one for pretty much everything on the market.

mtbr member
    Another option.
    Get a Oneup 170mm dropper. The travel can be limited down to 120mm or anything in between, so your potential future buyer should be covered
    + it is cheap and the innitial reviews are good.

mtbr member
    You are missing the point. regardless of 120/150/170 or even 200 mm of travel, the argument is that all of them with a slammed seat, end up at the same height regardless of how far it can actually extend upward...
    No. What you want is to set your dropper so that at full extension it's at the correct height for prolonged seated riding and climbing. As an inch or two either way can make a big difference when seated, this is the only time that the exact height of the seat matters.

So if your bike can take say both a 125 and a 170 dropper, if you set both in the frame so that the seated riding saddle height is the same then they won't be the same height when dropped fully. One will go 45mm lower than the other.

Yes, technically a shorter person can use a bike with a dropper that is too high for them at full extension but it isn't ideal as, rather than the seat being the correct height at full extension, they will have to hunt up and down to find a good height every time they lower it. Annoying if you were just borrowing the bike but a total no-starter if you were buying it. If I was looking to buy a bike that had a dropper that was too long I'd either walk away or use the fact I'd need to replace the post as a bargaining tool.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    aerius and WCH - I see now where the misunderstanding lies. I meant that the post may be too high on some techy trails, even on the climbs and flats. In other words, I may want to drop it a little further than where itís at fully sunk, for the whole ride, start to finish.

Thanks everyone for your patience and assistance. Much appreciated.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    No. What you want is to set your dropper so that at full extension it's at the correct height for prolonged seated riding and climbing. As an inch or two either way can make a big difference when seated, this is the only time that the exact height of the seat matters.

So if your bike can take say both a 125 and a 170 dropper, if you set both in the frame so that the seated riding saddle height is the same then they won't be the same height when dropped fully. One will go 45mm lower than the other.

Yes, technically a shorter person can use a bike with a dropper that is too high for them at full extension but it isn't ideal as, rather than the seat being the correct height at full extension, they will have to hunt up and down to find a good height every time they lower it. Annoying if you were just borrowing the bike but a total no-starter if you were buying it. If I was looking to buy a bike that had a dropper that was too long I'd either walk away or use the fact I'd need to replace the post as a bargaining tool.
    Thanks. That is what I was trying to say, but obviously did not do so very eloquently.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Yes, technically a shorter person can use a bike with a dropper that is too high for them at full extension but it isn't ideal as, rather than the seat being the correct height at full extension, they will have to hunt up and down to find a good height every time they lower it.
    No, not ďtechnically,Ē it just a simple fact that people can shorten their adjustable seat posts.

A friend of mine put a 150 on his bike, the max it would take, so now his son can't ride it.
    Still funny.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    No, not ďtechnically,Ē it just a simple fact that people can shorten their adjustable seat posts.

Still funny.
    If I could neg you again, I would.

mtbr member
    May 2018
    If I could neg you again, I would.
    I can send you some Kleenex to wipe off all those tears.

mtbr member
    Fair enough. But donít you prefer to have your dropper set so that when you fully extend it, itís at the optimum extended height?
    I haven't read all the comments and replies so excuse if i missed something, But wouldnt optimum extended height just be you standing on pedals, knees slightly bent and pulling the trigger letting that seat smack you in the ass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LaloKera View Post
    I haven't read all the comments and replies so excuse if i missed something, But wouldnt optimum extended height just be you standing on pedals, knees slightly bent and pulling the trigger letting that seat smack you in the ass?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    No.

The general rule is with one crank at 6 oíclock you want a slight bend in your knee. Some folks pedal heel high and that changes the dynamic but the above is a good starting point. Mr. Google has links to plenty of articles and videos too.

mtbr member
    A dropper just needs to be out of the way when descending. I would like to have my post at full extension...be at my preferred pedaling height. No way I would want a dropper that is too long when the post is fully inserted into the frame to where I would have to bring it back down to get to the correct pedaling position after extending the post.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Stick with 170mm. When it comes to dropper, always longer the better. I actually downsized frame for 150mm dropper. Sacrifice I was willing to make to go with 150mm instead of 125 due to my cursed short legs.

I'll give up my left ball to have your leg
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HaxEJxuK View Post
    When it comes to dropper, always longer the better.
    I think that depends, it certainly isn't true for me. I only occasionally drop my post all the way down and it's a 125mm post! A friend bought a 150 and now admits he doesn't need the full drop.

I think for a lot of riders it's just another ego trip. I want bigger because.... BIGGER.

mtbr member
    Dropper post selection: Find your optimum saddle height for flat and climbing. Choose a dropper that won't put the saddle higher than that at full extension when installed on the bike. Optional: choose a dropper that will give you the maximum drop within that constraint.

Brands that sell complete bikes will usually choose a dropper length for a given size frame that will meet the above criterion for the range of riders they feel will be riding that size frame.
    Do the math.

I think that depends, it certainly isn't true for me. I only occasionally drop my post all the way down and it's a 125mm post! A friend bought a 150 and now admits he doesn't need the full drop.

I think for a lot of riders it's just another ego trip. I want bigger because.... BIGGER.
    It used to be get the longest dropper that would fit, but now that frames are designed for droppers you have a more options. Gently rolling terrain doesn't require a super long dropper. Also how tall you are plays a roll. I'm 6"4' and ride near vertical trails. 200mm is perfect for me. On my XC bike I only need 100 and could get away with 75.
    Main thing is that you have a couple extra mm of insertion to adjust the post to the perfect height. Don't ride it if it too tall for you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

I have 100mm dropper on my hardtail and thought that was game changer. That was great on trail where there's some drops and descents, nothing crazy. As I started going to gnarlier trails, that wasn't good enough.

My Hightower came with 150mm but swapped out with Revive which has 160mm. That's pretty much max I can run since I have shorter leg and dropper is slammed. I still ocassionally hit saddle and although it's not stopping me from the ride, I wish I can put it lower. No mine is bigger than yours going on here
    2012 S pecialized Hardrock Sport Disc 29er

2017 SANTA CRUZ Hightower CC X01

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    It used to be get the longest dropper that would fit, but now that frames are designed for droppers you have a more options. Gently rolling terrain doesn't require a super long dropper. Also how tall you are plays a roll. I'm 6"4' and ride near vertical trails. 200mm is perfect for me. On my XC bike I only need 100 and could get away with 75.
    Main thing is that you have a couple extra mm of insertion to adjust the post to the perfect height. Don't ride it if it too tall for you.
    I ride near vertical trails too but find it difficult to believe that 20 mm of extra down to fully sink the post in the seat tube will assist with the extreme descents. For me, 150 or 170 will almost certainly be the same functionally. But 150 at least gives me the option to drop my post a little bit for the entire ride if I wish (drop it at the collar). At 170, I am at the max height I would ever want to be when the post is fully extended. I don't think I would give up anything on the downs with the 150, and it would give me more flexibility in case I wanted to lower the post a bit for the entire ride.

That said, I have only used the 170 on flowy stuff so far. Maybe if I get it on some extreme downs I will think it is much better than my 150s I previously used. I will try to get out tonight to see.

mtbr member
    I ride near vertical trails too but find it difficult to believe that 20 mm of extra down to fully sink the post in the seat tube will assist with the extreme descents. For me, 150 or 170 will almost certainly be the same functionally. But 150 at least gives me the option to drop my post a little bit for the entire ride if I wish (drop it at the collar). At 170, I am at the max height I would ever want to be when the post is fully extended. I don't think I would give up anything on the downs with the 150, and it would give me more flexibility in case I wanted to lower the post a bit for the entire ride.
    Every cm counts
    I have just installed a 185mm bikeyoke, replacing 150mm transfer on my Nomad and still have more than 1/2" from the collar.
    Glad, the weight difference is only few grams...
    Anyhow, I am only 5'8.5" with 31" inseam and the difference is significant. Especially in hard cornering when you need to put weight down on the outside pedal, while trying to maintain traction. I can get so low and not have the saddle in the way.
    Love it!
    Keep the 170mm

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by jazzanova View Post
    ...and still have more than 1/2" from the collar...
    You're lucky. I have zero room at the collar. I can never lower it if I ever wanted to.

mtbr member
    You're lucky. I have zero room at the collar. I can never lower it if I ever wanted to.
    Why would you want to anyway?

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Why would you want to anyway?

I've sunk the post a little bit more than normal in the past when riding Squamish/Whistler, and other similar terrain.

I think I will just keep it and be happy. Sounds like I have the perfect set up, as long as I don't have to sink it. For the rare occasions I would want to sink it a little bit for the entire ride, I suppose I can just not top it out.

mtbr member
    I've sunk the post a little bit more than normal in the past when riding Squamish/Whistler, and other similar terrain.
    You have infinite adjustment post + majority of your riding you use it at the hight the 170mm works at full extension.

It looks like you are trying hard to go with 150mm instead. If you are loosing sleep over it, just do it and get the 150.
    Not something I would have done, but whatever makes you happy...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    You have infinite adjustment post + majority of your riding you use it at the hight the 170mm works at full extension.

It looks like you are trying hard to go with 150mm instead. If you are loosing sleep over it, just do it and get the 150.
    Not something I would have done, but whatever makes you happy...

Thanks. I will go with the 170. Done.

Next obsession...wheelset...

Captain One Lung Administrator
    Let's keep the thread constructive and stop with the insults. PMs have been sent.

Thanks,
    Justin

I ride near vertical trails too but find it difficult to believe that 20 mm of extra down to fully sink the post in the seat tube will assist with the extreme descents.
    95% of the time it probably won't make a difference. The 5% that it does may just save you from an OTB.

mtbr member
    Consider yourself lucky with the 170mm dropper.

My bike came with braze-ons on the seat tube, so I am limited to a 100mm dropper because the post won't go into the bike far enough.

Overall, I'm very happy with my bike. But that one hindrance is a bit annoying. Damn braze-ons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Classic analysis paralysis. Hilarious, in a sad kind of way.
    ^--- yup.

1. 170mm - can bury it 100% in my frame

Cons:

Luckily it just so happens that the post is a special design that can be lowered with a simple push of a lever on the bars... it's like a seatpost that you can 'drop' to your desired height at any time.

AKA: Then lower it when you want to go to techy bits?

Unless it only has two positions or something. Even the Specialized dropper posts on my bikes, while not being the 'coveted' infinite position type can still be lowered just slightly when wanted. Don't have to use just one extreme or the other (and I often do use some of the intermediate heights depending on the trail.)

That said, I have noticed, at least with the bikes I've bought, that manufacturers seem to assume people are a lot taller than the heights normally associated with the given frame sizes. That is to say, both my Camber and Stumpjumper, when equipped with a dropper from the factory, come with droppers that are either too long (fully slammed and extended on my Camber was a no go at 125mm, but fine at 100mm) or just barely fit me (125mm on my Stumpy.) The same thing happened to a friend with a Diamondback Release 2. Dropper was just a bit too long. He claims to have found it to actually work well, but I suspect that it's more a case of the rider adapting and just getting used to it vs. it actually being a proper fitment.

In any case, I'm a fan of having as much range in the dropper as possible, and would keep the longer post if it fit me and my riding. I didn't pay thousands of dollars with the goal of having compromised specs just to please someone who may own it some day in the future.