mtbr member

New PNW Dropper - Cascade

Ordered the PNW Rainier (30.9mm) based on the positive reviews and learned its been backordered without any ETA.

Decided to contact PNW direct why the backorder and received this response that I would be receiving their newest model:

"It'll actually be our newest version called the Cascade that is lighter, shorter overall length, increased travel (125 instead of 120), 2-bolt head and has fixed cable entry at the collar rather than at the post head."

Can someone will dropper knowledge explain the benefit of cable entry at the collar versus post head?

PNW will start shipping March 20th, once I get the unit will provide a review.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The cable won't move around when going up vs dropping. Less moving parts generally means less things to break... less cable to get caught on a passing branch and rip out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Hey OP, have you received any update on this? I've found a couple of placeholders entries on the old webstore, but nothing on the PNW site or elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madstace View Post
    Hey OP, have you received any update on this? I've found a couple of placeholders entries on the old webstore, but nothing on the PNW site or elsewhere.
    Have not seen an update from the vendor I purchased from. Will give it another week before I contact PNW direct again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OttaCee View Post
    Have not seen an update from the vendor I purchased from. Will give it another week before I contact PNW direct again.
    Canceled by order with Jenson, they didnt have the Cascade even available yet. Ordered directly on PNW's site and should be on my door step in 10 days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2017
    The Rainier offers internal routing while the cascade don't
    Advantage of the cascade collar cable vs head cable is simple
    Cable on head has to move with the seatpost... When you bring the post down the cable routing has to go somewhere...
    While on he collar the cable remain in the same position...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Cascade is now listed on PNW's website. https://www.pnwcomponents.com/collec...-6mm-diameters

mtbr member
    Received the Cascade. Fast shipping, 5 days from order.

Initial Thoughts: Shipping packaging was poor. Dropper box thrown into a standard UPS box without any additional packaging so it was flopping around when I received it.

Dropper Box packaging again...very poor. Just a box with the dropper and cables without any packaging. The box did have some damage from the dropper moving around.

These things dont bother me as long as the product works but it is concerning.

Dropper feels real solid, any plastic part isnt cheap feeling. Weight isnt the lightest but im not a weight weenie.

Will be installing in the next 2 weeks, will report out.

mtbr member
    Installed the dropper. Since this product was so new, there was NO instructions available. This now has been fixed by PNW but it took me about 30mins to understand how to install. With instructions, would take approx 20mins.

Initial Ride Impressions: Lever feels real nice, very solid and enough thumb patch to press down. After pressing the lever a few times, it stretched the cable so its very easy to press down. Dropper action isn't bad. Im a clyde so the seat goes down but sometimes I need a 2nd butt bump to get the seat all the way down. But its a good thing when I dont need the seat all the way down. Seat comes up quick but not "ball smashing". No wobble in the seat, rock solid. The seat head has come a bit loose after the 1st ride, will add some loctite.

For this being my 1st dropper, been impressed for around $200. Will report out as I get more mileage.

mtbr member
    Any more feedback on this post?

I Cycle so I don't choke people!

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    "I cycle so I don't choke People"
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB
    http://www.teamrwb.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TeamRWB View Post
    Any more feedback on this post?

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Have about 100 miles on the dropper. Continues to work flawlessly.
    Only issue has been the seat bolts loosing, some Loctite has addressed it so far.

mtbr member
    Ok cool, definitely giving it a hard look

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Ordering one tomorrow from LBS. Looking forward to getting it. I tried to order a 31.6 125mm directly from PNW but they were out. They recommended LBS distributor.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I've had a 30.9 for a couple of months now and it works great. My first dropper so nothing to compare it to but it does what it's supposed to every time without issue. A friend with a LEV commented on how easy the lever actuation is. A little heavier than some droppers but I haven't noticed the weight while riding. IMO it is a great value I'm happy with my purchase!

Short-Change-Hero
    Keeping an eye on this one. Looking to replace my eTen remote dropper but have been reading the aweful reviews of the Lev/Lev DX seat clamps breaking, bending, etc. in pretty short order so not sure I want to spend $300 on their product. Need a 31.6mm externally routed (to collar) dropper.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There are posts with people complaining about losing the plastic cover over cable attachment on KS LEV posts. I was pleased to see that the Cascade cable is routed through a hole in the plastic cover so even if it fell off it would not be lost. So far the cover has stayed in place with no hint of it trying to come loose.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by bentconvert View Post
    There are posts with people complaining about losing the plastic cover over cable attachment on KS LEV posts. I was pleased to see that the Cascade cable is routed through a hole in the plastic cover so even if it fell off it would not be lost. So far the cover has stayed in place with no hint of it trying to come loose.
    Yeah I read those too, lots of places sell the covers (like Universal Cycles) but it is the rail clamp issues that have me worried. No internal routing available on my bike so has to be external and the eTen has started to prove problematic (mind you after a few years of pretty flawless riding). Figure it is time to upgrade to something longer and nicer.

The cable actuation on the Cascade, does it utilize a shift cable or brake cable??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    The cable actuation on the Cascade, does it utilize a shift cable or brake cable??
    I don't remember for certain but pretty sure it's a shift cable. The barrel goes on the seat post side and a small barrel is screwed on at the remote end that fits a slot in the remote and allows actuation.

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks @bentconvert... I shot an email back to PNW to see if it is a brake cable (1.4mm if I remember correctly) or a shifter cable (1.1mm if I remember correctly). Also, I really like the southpaw remote from KS (actually just like the shifter style vs thumb over) and so check to see if they know if it is compatible.

mtbr member
    I'm thinking this will be my next purchase.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Just got an email confirmation from PNW that it uses a standard shifter cable. They are in the works for a shifter (1x) style remote however their systems are compatible with the Wolftooth and Southpaw remotes! My LBS is calling their distributors to get cost for me on a 31.6 125mm Cascade as we speak.

Also, Aaron (who I have been talking with at PNW) confirmed that they have a shipment coming of the droppers, just don't anticipate it to hit land for a bit.
    My LBS was showing the QBP is showing them out of stock currently, J&B and BTI were showing same part numbers for the two different description item (one I am looking for) hence why he is calling to see which on is right. He was showing the same p/n for the 100mm post AND the 125mm post.

Short-Change-Hero
    Well just got the call from my LBS and order is officially in, should be here this weekend. I have a pretty good relationship with my LBS so talking with the owner he said he was calling all over the place to get the p/n issue straightened out. He ended up getting a call directly from PNW to sort things out and apparently J&B, BTI and QBP all have their p/n and descriptions jacked up. Once he got everything straightened out between J&B and PNW (both on a conference call with him) he got it on order for me. Anyways, stoked to get his new, longer dropper and get it setup.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Ordering one tomorrow from LBS. Looking forward to getting it. I tried to order a 31.6 125mm directly from PNW but they were out. They recommended LBS distributor.
    Unfortunately the 125mm sits too high for me and they don't make a 100mm. 3 cm is enough to lock my knee when pedaling. Looks like I have to spend a bit more for the KS LEV DX.

mtbr member
    Looking forward to another review. It's between this and Transfer for me. Can get a good deal on a Reverb, but read to many issues with them.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Unfortunately the 125mm sits too high for me and they don't make a 100mm. 3 cm is enough to lock my knee when pedaling. Looks like I have to spend a bit more for the KS LEV DX.
    Look at ArtsCyclery or Universal Cycles and use one of their codes (VIP17 or VIP15 respectively). That will knock it down to just under $300.

mtbr member
    Look at ArtsCyclery or Universal Cycles and use one of their codes (VIP17 or VIP15 respectively). That will knock it down to just under $300.
    Thanks. Picked up a new one on E-Bay for $260 with free shipping so not a huge price difference compared to the Cascade fortunately. Should have it next week.

mtbr member
    I need a dropper big time for my DB Mason Trail 27.5+! My bike is 30.9.

Looking at one of these on Amazon...I have some gift cards to use. My LBS said my bike does have internal routing and my available height is about 135mm with my seat in the correct spot. Will the 125mm travel Rainier work for me? That's a tight fit with the dropper post bracket right? I don't know much about droppers TBH so I'm going off reviews for the most part. Want to stay under $300 if possible and want it to last My good buddy bought a Brand-x ascend and it gets great reviews and is under $200 but Amazon doesn't carry it.

It's this one:

mtbr member
    delete.

damned rocks...
    If I understood you correctly and you only have 135mm from the top of the seatube to the saddle rails you will have to choose a dropper with less travel than 125mm, and probably with less than 100mm travel.
    The problem is that you will need at least 15mm minimum to the seatpost collar, and around 30mm minimum to the seatpost head, and this are values for a dropper with low stack height like the Revive, meaning that you have less than 90mm available clearance for travel.
    I don't know how you got the 135mm value, so I may be misunderstanding​ you.
    Last edited by Aglo; 06-17-2017 at 07:46 AM. Reason: Ortography :)...

mtbr member
    Does this help? I'm not exactly sure where to measure but I thought the LBS said I had 135mm height. I'm looking at pulling the trigger on a 125mm travel dropper today so I'm not if it will work or not??? Help

The silver mark is about where I put my seat height at...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    It will not fit. Don't buy it.

damned rocks...
    Quote Originally Posted by arnea View Post
    It will not fit. Don't buy it.
    ^that.
    If you check the specs from PNW site: https://www.pnwcomponents.com/pages/measurements-page

You will see that you need at least 190mm, and by looking at your pictures, you only have around 165mm.
    other thing you need to pay attention to when looking for a dropper is the maximum insertion length that your frame allows.
    Some frames have extremely low values, like 150mm.

damned rocks...
    Just to give you an idea of what "MAY" fit on your frame, emphasis on may .
    By looking at your pictures, and this is me guessing you can probably fit a Fox Transfer 100mm, or a BikeYoke Revive 125mm.
    Check the measurements page from Fox: Determine Which Transfer Seatpost Will Fit Your Bike | Bike Help Center | FOX
    Can't link your directly to the Revive page, but they don't sell on Amazon, so not of interest to you, but may help you understand more about measurements.
    Last edited by Aglo; 06-17-2017 at 07:47 AM. Reason: not Ebay but Amazon

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah the stack height of the different posts is something that I recently found out about. I have enough seat tube length left that I could POSSIBLY have fit a 150mm dropper but the 125mm dropper will be fine as I currently run a 100mm eTen. I will post some pics, I think it was on Enduro MTB mag that recently did a dropper shoot-out that had droppers with different stack heights and talked about which had the "thinnest" stack height. Think it was the BikeYoke, then Transfer, then KS for the top thinnest.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys - I stopped by my LBS and they said it wouldn't fit. Going to grab the 100mm KS eten. This one looks nice though.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Coyote_Lover View Post
    Thanks guys - I stopped by my LBS and they said it wouldn't fit. Going to grab the 100mm KS eten. This one looks nice though.
    I would recommend upgrading to the LEV DX at least if you can. You will find that after time the ferrule under the saddle that actuates the mechanism gets rounded off from constantly moving (or at least for me). This then makes it easy for the cable housing to get cockeyed and not allow the seat to come up or stay down (depending). That really has been my only major gripe with the eTen, could care less that it is heavy. Oh and get the Southpaw if you are running 1x!

Also, got an email back from PNW that said they have a 1x style remote in the works but their posts work with the WolfTooth Components (recommended), Triggy and the Southpaw. I am going to try the thumb-over remote for a bit.. Stoked to pick mine up today!

mtbr member
    Looking forward to your feedback

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Just got my LEV DX 2 days earlier than they said I would (ordered Friday, received it today). Not too shabby. I like those kind of surprises. Will have it installed tomorrow. Looking forward to riding with it!

Short-Change-Hero
    Picked up my Cascade last night and installed it.. I will post up pics later tonight after I ride.

Product was packaged EXACTLY as above with a small note inside that sends you to their website for the installation instructions. Installation, cable routing, etc. is pretty straight forward. Cable routing (internal at least) is opposite of my eTen which starts that shifter cable head at the remote and then goes to the seatpost head. The Cascade is the opposite with the head of the cable going into the actuator that is at the seatpost collar.

The one funky part is the remote as you go through the angle piece, the barrel adjuster, then through the remotes TOP but then have a small barrel that has to be installed in the remote and have that cable routed through that.. Basically becomes 3 small moving pieces that can be a bit of a bear to line-up. I have confirmed with PNW that it is a standard shifter cable and housing.

Once everything is in place and you tighten down the barrel you then pull the remote a good 10 times or so to help "stretch" the cable and seat the cable head and then readjust the cable length before cutting. The remote has a good solid feel to it, not play that I could find. The action doesn't start as soon are you start pressing, you have to give it a few mm of travel before the post releases. This is somewhat nice as you can slowly release the post to come up at a slower speed if you really wanted to. Post return speed it pretty good, definitely quicker than my eTen was but NOT the junk hammering speed of the reverb (see Seth's Bike Hacks video where he makes fun of Alexander's, aka Singletrack Sampler, reverb post and starts walking around his shop hammering stuff with it).

First ride is tonight on it, if it cools down some, and then I will be taking it for a week long trip to CO the week of the 4th.

mtbr member
    Can't wait

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    KS Lev installed. Just rode around my house. Very nice feel. Smooth and solid. Looking forward to riding this weekend. I'll post some pictures in a day or so.

Short-Change-Hero
    Took my first trail ride on it last night and have to say that it functioned flawlessly. The post DROPS SUPER fast and has come up whenever I hit the remote without issue. I need to work on my remote angle a little so that I can easily actuate the remote fully. What I found last night was my angle was a little off so if I happened to be standing to climb after a section where it was down that my thumb was not in a proper position to allow full actuation without overextending my wrist/thumb. Again, just a simple angle adjustment/refinement. I actually like the feel of the remote so far and, again, the operation has been flawless.

Next weekend we are head to Steamboat Springs, CO to visit family and the bike will be coming along so I will report back on the Cascade after that trip (which should be filled with lots of riding).

mtbr member
    Very Nice

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Well finally back from an epic week of riding in Steamboat Springs, CO. Rode almost every day for at least 6 miles (longest day was close to 20). Dropper did phenomenally the entire time, zero issues, always went up and down as needed and would stop wherever my butt told it too.

Return speed is nice and quick, though not so fast as to slap the junk like you see with the reverb.
    Dropper remote is actually very well made and quite nice. I have never had an issue with it feeling sloppy or like it had play in it, just simple smooth and reliable actuation.

Only two gripes I have so far are
    1. the seatpost head has come slightly loose, which is only noticeable when you are actually messing with the saddle. Otherwise you do not notice the movement.
    2. (biggest one) is that the saddle is held on by two bolts. The front one is at such an angle that you are REQUIRED to use a 90* bent allen key to tighten/loosen the bolt. Otherwise you end up hitting the seatpost stanchion with your wrench or multi-tool. If your multi-tool is larger you run the risk only getting a 1/4 turn out of the bolt before you hit the stanchion with the tool body, risking possible scratches.

mtbr member
    Dang seat post play already? Well my Command Post had it and it never bothered me either. Still in my shopping cart waiting to pull the trigger.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

damned rocks...
    My Command Post has it and it doesn't bother me at all, my Revive has clearly less play but still has it.
    If you have sliding parts you are gonna always have some kind of play, if not, things are not sliding.
    Of course better quality manufacturing processes, allows for tight tolerances, and tight tolerances means less play.
    But don't fool yourself by thinking you will find a dropper without some degree of rotational play.

Short-Change-Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by Aglo View Post
    But don't fool yourself by thinking you will find a dropper without some degree of rotational play.
    This.... is exactly why I am not really worried about it. If I noticed the play while actually sitting on the saddle then that would be a different story. Also, I believe I remember there being a set screw on top of the post, under the clamp, when I have a minute tonight I will take a look and see if that resolves the play. But to quantify what I am seeing, maybe a mm or two of movement TOTAL side to side at the nose.

mtbr member
    2. (biggest one) is that the saddle is held on by two bolts. The front one is at such an angle that you are REQUIRED to use a 90* bent allen key to tighten/loosen the bolt. Otherwise you end up hitting the seatpost stanchion with your wrench or multi-tool. If your multi-tool is larger you run the risk only getting a 1/4 turn out of the bolt before you hit the stanchion with the tool body, risking possible scratches.
    This bugs me as poor user design but to make sure the bolts were tight, I pulled out the dropper compressed and used a long extension ratchet.

Short-Change-Hero
    This bugs me as poor user design but to make sure the bolts were tight, I pulled out the dropper compressed and used a long extension ratchet.
    Possibly... It really comes down to what tools they were intending for usage while designing the item. Also remember that PNW is still fairly new so may be something that is updated in a future revision. My multi tool that I was using was a cheap Kobalt allen key set that has the big plastic handle on it so I am sure that did not anticipate that being used, the other tool was my Harbor Freight "T" handle allen key set. The front bolt may be better accessible with a standard "P" handle key vs. what I have. For me, it is pretty easy to grab the proper 90* allen key and tighten, honestly I do not move my saddle all that much.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    First ride impressions: very nice post, easy installation, smooth action, handy remote.
    Another nice aspect: bolt sizes correspond to torque, some other droppers use same small bolts for everything and tigtening saddle bolts with a small key can be painful.
    New PNW Dropper - Cascade-pnw_cascade.jpg

mtbr member
    Just ordered mine! So hopefully have the same results

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Picked one up last week using their 20% off coupon I found on their FB page. I have about 3 rides on the dropper and no issues so far with the saddle bolts. Thumb lever has been good and easy to press down on. I do have a slight wiggle on the dropper, but you can't tell when riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yeah I got the 20% as well. Makes decision easy to buy.

Sent from the Beer Cloud
    Big Wheel Racing Europe
    It's Our Turn!
    Team RWB

Short-Change-Hero
    Very nice... still rocking mine over a month later and she's going strong. Haven't put any miles on her since last week as I have been down with a cold. Still have that little bit of play in the top but nothing that is noticeable on the ride so I ain't complaining.

Short-Change-Hero
    Figured I would give a bit of an update.
    Still been rocking the Cascade and probably have put a couple hundred miles (was averaging 40 miles a week for a while there through September and October). The dropper has been flawless but over the last week or so I have started to notice that the play has gotten worse. While I now only feel it when I initially jump on the bike after a stop the play has increased to it now being visibly noticeable when it shifts back and forth at the stanchion not just the saddle.

Sent an email to PNW yesterday and within an hour had a warranty response from their own Aaron. Asked for my address and said he would be sending out a replacement post (post only) with a pre-paid envelope/box. Basically swap post only and send back to him and all is good to go! So now just waiting on the new post to get here.

Other than the play, nothing is wrong with the post, it still operates and functions flawlessly but was starting to get worried as the play had increased enough that it was very noticeable at the stanchion, not just the saddle. Figure after about four months of hard riding with a couple hundred hard miles on it that it was possibly in store for a rebuild with the fact that I had noticed play since day one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have also been averaging 40 mikes a week (sept-oct) and noticing the increase in play. No issues operating and upgraded the lever to a wolftooth light action as well. If there is anymore play within the next month, Ill contact PNW warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Short-Change-Hero
    Well I got the replacement post late on Friday and was able to install it on the bike. Felt ZERO play in the new post so we will see how things hold up. Haven't had a chance to ride it yet as it was a busy weekend and with the time change, that is going to make after work rides a little more challenging.

Super stoked that PNW sent me out a new post under warranty, with a return sticker in the box to send back out.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a Cascade around two weeks ago (just missed the 20% off! D'oh!) and one, I'm happy to see people have been able to work with PNW so easily and two, I've been happy with the quality and function of the post initially. WAY better than the budget post I tried at the beginning of the year.
    Last edited by Joe Handlebar; 11-06-2017 at 07:12 PM. Reason: grammar police
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah it is definitely a good post. I have submitted some feedback to the owner (Aaron) as I would love to see the front bolt for the saddle angled out enough to easily get a tool in there. Currently takes lots of phenagalling to get it at the correct angle with anything other than a standard allen key (using HF P-handles). We will see what the next revision holds. Other than that I am completely happy with it for the money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    My dropper developed a significant amount of left to right wiggle. I emailed PNW and they responded right away on a Sunday evening and sending a replacement dropper. I'll report back once I receive the replacement. So far customer service has been top notch!!!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yup... one of the benefits of small company like this is sometimes they have that ability (e.g. Aaron, the owner according to his email, emailing me back late at night). My new replacement has been on a few rides now and no play as of yet. Since winter is here though we shall see how much longer I am able to ride.