mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New dropper post too long

Haven't been able to find an answer for this anywhere. Just assembled my new Diamondback Release 2. I am a newbie to dropper posts, so I was glad I got to install it to see how it works. It's a KS Lev Integra 31.6 mm. The problem is that I can't move the saddle low enough for the post to work. I put the post all the way down to the dropper joint, and yet the saddle comes up WAY too high. I'm 6'3", so that seems a little ridiculous.

Any thoughts on solutions. Thanks!
    Last edited by aboutface102; 04-15-2018 at 03:25 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Too long or not long enough?

mtbr member
    Dropper posts can be too long. This happens when at the fully extended length, the post can be inserted far enough into the seat tube to get the saddle at the correct height. This sounds like what you're experiencing. You need a different dropper that, between insertion depth and drop, will not be too long.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah that's what I figured. I email DB to see if they will exchange for a shorter one. Thanks.

mtbr member
    At 6'3" I 'd say it's unlikely a stock build's dropper is to long.
    What size is is the diamond back and how much drop does the dropper have? Checking their site is doesn't list the drop. Not to state the obvious but one of the advantages of a dropper is to get full extension on climbs whereas if your used to a rigid post you may be conditioned to a much lower overall saddle height.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It actually doesn't say how much drop it has anywhere on it or in the paperwork. The bike is an XL. When it's fully extended I can barely touch the down pedal with my toes, which leads me to believe it's the 265 mm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I mean the 490 mm full length

mtbr member
    You are able to lower the post all the way to the collar?

It's possible there is a burr or something in the seat tube preventing you from inserting it all the way in the frame. Also double check to make sure it's facing forward. I see in the pics online and the bible review that the post is inserted all the way down to the collar.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    With a dropper, one thing that needs to be factored in is the frame design...some frames are designed so the lowest possible seat position is not very low. When you extend it the height goes ridiculously high. Other frame designs, the lowest seat position is much lower so when you extend the dropper it's not as drastic. You need to figure out what works for your situation and frame design.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yess too long thank you, not sure what I was thinking lol.

mtbr member
    If the bike is Alu you can cut down the seat tube...

How much?

You'll have to work that out for yourself ;-)

NB, it can be done on a carbon frame also. Little bit trickier obviously.

'We'll all make it to the top... Some of us, might not make it to the bottom'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

RAKC Industries
    Jan 2017
    Ok 6'3 on an XL and cant reach the pedals with dropper fully extended, sounds like DB expects XL riders to be 7ft tall...

I would talk to DB about a dropper thar actually fits.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Life on a bike doesn't begin till the sun goes down.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah my roomie who's a bike mechanic can't understand it either. It's a tall bike already with the tallest post on it, like riding a skyscraper.

mtbr member
    A picture is worth 1000 words. And will probably save 100 words worth of questions...........
    In serving the wicked, expect no reward, and be thankful if you escape injury for your pains.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Question has been answered, get a shorter post

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    A friend ordered a Transition Smuggler in small. It came with a 125mm dropper. And the frame has a bend in the seat tube and the pivot bolt goes through it. So the seat post can only be inserted about 6". :/

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    A friend ordered a Transition Smuggler in small. It came with a 125mm dropper. And the frame has a bend in the seat tube and the pivot bolt goes through it. So the seat post can only be inserted about 6". :/
    Sounds like a pretty big oversight. Another thing I just discovered about mine. Seat tube has nasty metal barbs in it so the post scratched all the way down, then back up again. Yay!